DVA Set 500 and M225 question

RonN5

DVA Set 500 and M225 question
« on: 3 Dec 2022, 05:36 pm »
I guess this is a question/s for Frank and Dan:

First, my understanding is that the Set 500 and the M225 use the same audio circuit design and power supply design but with the following difference.  The Set 500 is a shared power supply 250 watt per channel  stereo amp while the M225, as a mono amp, has a single power supply and because it is operated in bridge mode nets 225 watts from what would have been approximately a 60 watt non bridge mode amp.

Now my question:  Does their difference in sound between the two amps occur because one is bridge mode and one isn't or is it that they are voiced slightly differently?

And, since you guys have spent more time with these two amps than anyone, could you try to explain the difference in sound that a buyer would experience?

Thanks in advance for whatever explanation you can provide.

avahifi

Re: DVA Set 500 and M225 question
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2022, 11:13 pm »
The differences are indeed because the M225 amps are true differential balanced designs.

This mode of operation essentially cancels any residual harmonic distortion (even that you can’t measure) and noise.

This takes a great amp design to the absolutely stunning level. It’s worth it if you can afford it.

Frank

RonN5

Re: DVA Set 500 and M225 question
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2022, 12:11 am »
Thanks Frank. I read your reply to also mean for those who like a little warmth, go Set 500 and for those who want pure tone, go M225.