JRiver Meant To Be Used On Computer Only? (Remote Is Horrible)

cloudbaseracer

I have paid for Roon in the past but get a bad taste renting the software monthly.  Therefore I am on the search for an adequate replacement.

My Lyngdorf 3400 has UpnP as well as Tidal (Spotify and others are also there) streaming capabilities. I have tried the built in Lyngdorf app but it is super basic. 

Just over a month ago I started a 30 day trial of Audirvana and that ended yesterday.  I was able to get Tidal (started 30 day trial on that 2 weeks ago) to play pretty easily. But alas, the Audirvana app for Android is a bit clunky and not easy to navigate.  The name of the now playing track are actually covered up under other data.  Audirvana also is on a monthly subscription basis, and although a few dollars cheaper, is likely not worth the difference to Roon.

So a few days ago I signed up for the JRiver 29 trial as I would have 2 weeks overlap with remaining Tidal trial.  I have 2TB of FLAC music on a solid state drive and access to that alone would be "free" after the $80.  I like that.  I also like that tons of people have said great things about JRiver sound and that it is as good as the best available.  What I don't like or understand is:

--Is JRiver mainly used by people selecting/browsing the tracks via the actual program on a desktop?
--A remote for JRiver seems like a horrible afterthought.  Having tried Gizmo and JRiver Panel I do not see a viable option. The reviews of
   the $9.99 JRemote app were terrible so I did not even waste my money to try it.
--Trying to use Amazon HD Tablet is meh for a JRiver 29 GUI but it cannot use Tidal Connect.  I guess I would have to buy Samsung
   Tablet.
--On JRiver remote (Gizmo or Panel) there seems to be no easy way to add next track, view any upcoming tacks or any of those things
   that someone would want to do on a remote. 
--JRiver does not seem to be able to play Tidal without some complex workaround that I am not sure of how to use. If I were to get it
   going I don't know how it would even function/look on these clunky, basic remotes.
--Is it suggested to use Tidal Connect as an interface outside of something like JRiver or Audirvana and just switch between apps?

So, is JRiver designed to work mostly with the PC as an interface?  Does this mean that the subscription to Roon is the only work around that will give a great GUI that is easy to navigate?

PS: I used to use a Squeezebox Touch but I have not ventured down the road of trying LMS as it seems to be a dying application and possibly is plagued with the same GUI issues and trouble with Tidal.

Thanks!!

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
JRiver doesn't have Tidal integration.
is JRiver designed to work mostly with the PC as an interface?
Yes it is.
However you might also have a look at Musicbee.
Kind of JRiver light and a excellent piece of freeware.

Mike B.

The Jriver site has a forum where you can ask these questions.

cloudbaseracer

Yes, but I have read too many negatives about the customer service and the forum to waste my time there so I thought I would come here. 

Mike-48

JRiver is excellent for what it does, which is quite a lot. I use it mainly with a USB connection, though I've also used it connected over my home network (with the streamer as a 'zone').

It also has an DLNA server, so with a DLNA control point and renderer, it can be used in a fully networked audio system (with no computer in the audio room). In that case, the interface would be that of the control point.

I use mostly Roon these days, for several reasons
  • Uniform interface whether networked or direct connection
  • Integration of Qobuz
  • Excellent metadata
I do recommend you ask questions on the JRiver forum. Your response will be better if you ask about specific features, not general questions like "Is JRiver a good substitute for Roon?". Often, one gets useless answers from JRiver folks but then great answers from fellow users.

WGH

So a few days ago I signed up for the JRiver 29 trial as I would have 2 weeks overlap with remaining Tidal trial.  I have 2TB of FLAC music on a solid state drive and access to that alone would be "free" after the $80. 

On what device are you installing JRiver, Audirvana, etc.?

I used both JRiver and Tidal. A quick search reveals, as you found out, there is no integration between the two. I always used one or the other, but not at the same time, I had to switch between the apps.

For a number of reasons I got rid of Tidal: their recommendation engine is beyond horrible (unless you like rap), sound quality was meh even with the premium subscription, and Tucson has an excellent non-commercial, all volunteer FM radio station.

I still use JRiver and Gizmo. A new JRiver license is only $59.98. The $80 Master license is only if you want to install JRiver on multiple operating systems at the same time, like on both a Mac laptop and a Windows based music server.

Speaking of music servers, that would be the ideal way to run JRiver. I find it easier to browse all my albums using a monitor instead of a smaller screen. I usually play the entire album instead of stacking songs. Gizmo allows me to pick a song or album without getting off my butt but each starts as soon as I hit play.

Double clicking the album cover in JRiver makes it full screen. Changing the album or song using Gizmo changes the album cover so your guests always know what is playing.

The Hollis Audio HAL MS-6 Music Server is only $450. Add a mouse, keyboard and monitor and you are on your way to very high end sound which is much, much better than a noisy laptop. And you can still use Gizmo on a tablet or smart phone.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=175173.0

A big step in sound quality from JRiver or any currently available music playing software is HQPlayer 4 Desktop (Windows, Linux and macOS). Even though HQPlayer is built for oversampling, it can be used for 44.1 or 96 kHz - 16 bit too. Install on a music server and use the remote app on a tablet, the app even works on my rooted Nook Color tablet. Songs and albums can be stacked too.

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

External control applications:
  • HQPDcontrol Android / iOS
  • HQPWV
  • Roon
  • muso
  • Alchemy Desktop

HQPlayer 4 Embedded [Custom] doesn't need an operating system, it builds it's own Linux Music server.

"HQPlayer OS is a fully custom Linux-based operating system tailored and optimized for HQPlayer use. It includes both HQPlayer Embedded and Network Audio Adapter functionality in a single bootable image, making it easy to to deploy the media to these different use cases. The image can be simply written to a USB memory stick or other suitable storage media, such as (micro)SD-card and booted up, without requiring any other installation steps."

I haven't used the remote option much, you are on your own but with two versions (Desktop and Embedded) plus five remote apps there should be an application that checks all your boxes.

HQPlayer has a 30 day free trial.

An HQPlayer preview/review. Scroll past the Holo DAC part. Streaming has never been so much fun!
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=182724.msg1919415#msg1919415