microRendu harsh sound

Phil A

Re: microRendu harsh sound
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:50 pm »
Another thing ... after I plugged everything except microrendu to switch and microrendu directly on the router, everything became clear and more musical without any harshness or distortion in the sound.

Don't know if this will help or not but I have one of these going into the wall jack from the router to the main room (until I changed my settings in my set-up it did not resolve the problem but I'm sure it didn't hurt anything) - https://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_isolator.html

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:54 pm »
Don't know if this will help or not but I have one of these going into the wall jack from the router to the main room (until I changed my settings in my set-up it did not resolve the problem but I'm sure it didn't hurt anything) - https://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_isolator.html
I use the Emo Systems EN-70HD and have their latest arriving today for trial.  Remember it's important to get something that has measurements as A LOT of this type of stuff is a joke.  Just like Ethernet cables.  Many don't even meet the requirements to be certified. 

http://www.emosystems.com/product/en-70hd-ultra-compact-network-isolator/

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:59 pm »
I use the Emo Systems EN-70HD and have their latest arriving today for trial.  Remember it's important to get something that has measurements as A LOT of this type of stuff is a joke.  Just like Ethernet cables.  Many don't even meet the requirements to be certified. 

http://www.emosystems.com/product/en-70hd-ultra-compact-network-isolator/

I noticed they have a number of LAN isolators like the EN-30 as well.  Can you elaborate on which ones you have used?  Thanks.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2017, 03:01 pm »
I noticed they have a number of LAN isolators like the EN-30 as well.  Can you elaborate on which ones you have used?  Thanks.
I use (2) of what I posted above.  I have the EN-60KDS coming.  Should arrive today but I'm leaving town for the weekend so I'll try it next week.  I could send one to you to try if you wanted.  They're super small and easy to mail. 

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2017, 03:05 pm »
I use (2) of what I posted above.  I have the EN-60KDS coming.  Should arrive today but I'm leaving town for the weekend so I'll try it next week.  I could send one to you to try if you wanted.  They're super small and easy to mail.

Thanks for the offer.  Right now I'm resolving a couple of minor issues and have some stuff not connected (upgraded something and swapping stuff around between the systems).  But definitely interested in your impressions.  I've had stuff on my Amazon wish list (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AVRLZI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=321FECHQA1Z6W&coliid=I3TNNIJR1CZ3HB&psc=1) for a quite bit but just haven't gotten to it.  It's on my agenda for down the road for sure.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2017, 03:07 pm »
Thanks for the offer.  Right now I'm resolving a couple of minor issues and have some stuff not connected (upgraded something and swapping stuff around between the systems).  But definitely interested in your impressions.  I've had stuff on my Amazon wish list (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AVRLZI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=321FECHQA1Z6W&coliid=I3TNNIJR1CZ3HB&psc=1) for a quite bit but just haven't gotten to it.  It's on my agenda for down the road for sure.
No worry. I'm going to ask another NC audiophile that lives north of me if he wants to try it for giggles.  I've written about them a bit on CA.  The main reason I use them is for the surge protection of the gear.  These are used in hospitals all over the world not only for protection to the equipment but most importantly to the patient that's hooked up to the heart monitor for instance. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/emo-systems-discount-code-29018/

http://www.emosystems.com/audio-applications/

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2017, 03:20 pm »
I have my Acoustic Revive a couple of years.  Initially put in before the music server but it didn't like it (wouldn't work).  I started looking into those type of devices not too long after that.  I have had it on my radar (and I'm getting to the point where I'm almost done with what I'm going to be doing to the various systems for a bit within a couple of months give or take) to look at those things more closely.  I finally got the settings right as I noted earlier where with limited comparisons I don't so far hear a difference between the local hard drive and NAS playback.  I have the NAS almost a year and had it about 7-8 months before I finally got to where I am now.  I was really disappointed when I first put the NAS in and did a comparison (on two of my systems with music servers).  I had two guys who are computer illiterate from the Space Coast Audio Society come over last summer to verify I wasn't crazy with the difference I heard.  It took me a few months to get back into it and look at my settings.

atxkyle

« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2017, 12:40 pm »
Just few moments ago I plug in another power supply which is of the dlink swicher and have output power of 7,5v.... and belive it or not I am finally happy as a pig in the mud...  :P It looks like iFi power adapter is really bad choice for microRendu.  :duh:

I'm having this harshness issue with the microrendu as well.  Unfortunately I don't have another ~7V / 1A power supply on hand to see if it fixes it like it did for you.  I do have an LPS-1 on order though, so hopefully it will be corrected soon.

reelvox

« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2017, 06:20 pm »
Hi...

I recently bought microRendu with iFi adapter and after initial burn-in time, it still sounds very bright and somehow digital, specialy in upper mids and high freq. specrum. Before microRendu I was using Naim ND5xs as a player only connected to NuPrime Dac10h and this was not an issue. Now I have Synology 216j - microRendu - Nuprime dac10h - st10 - Pmc 23. MicroRendu is connected to dac over usb hard adapter. Player I am using is Logitec Media Player on Synology and Sonore via iPeng app. Any idea how to correct this? Tnx

To be perfectly honest, if the microRendu sounds bright, it is your system. I have heard it in numerous systems and it is as natural, neutral, and musical as I have heard any digital component.

Edit: Not sure if someone else mentioned it but it could def. be a dirty LAN. Consider a LAN isolation device. They really work.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #29 on: 1 Apr 2017, 06:43 pm »
I am using a microRendu and Uptone LPS1.  Yesterday I was commenting to myself how absolutely unharsh my system had become.  It is smooth and sweet as can be.

Tubeburner

« Reply #30 on: 1 Apr 2017, 07:18 pm »
I posted this earlier. I have absolutely no harshness or brightness. If you are running through your router, this could be your issue. I had an occasional drop with the router, so I installed a network switch Asus GX-D1081 v3 https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/GXD1081_V3/ with priority port and I haven't had one issue since. I also replaced both ethernet cables with certified cables. I am using a microRendu and Uptone LPS1.

DavidS

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jan 2018, 12:36 am »
I have been experiencing some high end glare when using microrendu - is particularly noticeable in headphone setup.  Have tried lots of alternatives downstream on the microrendu and no difference - I do use the ultracap lps-1 already.  So I am thinking it might be my router or power related to router.  Any new experience with this - from reading the earlier posts I am not sure if the isolation device solved the problem or not?  How about the switch - right now my router acts as a switch - not a particularly high end router.

plakey

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2018, 02:27 pm »
I agree first step is an improved power supply on the microrendu. However, I would also suggest power supply on other network devices feeding  the microrendu can have additional important impacts. Even when completely galvanically isolating microrendu from my router and synology NAS using fiber optic Ethernet, I still hear significant benefits in reduced harshness and warmer fuller sound from good linear power supplies on router and NAS.

Curious what you use / where to get LPS for router and NAS?