X-Otica (Not NX-Otica) Flat Packs....

Captainhemo

X-Otica (Not NX-Otica) Flat Packs....
« on: 21 Oct 2019, 08:42 pm »
I've had the model and drawings done for these for a  while now but haven't   proceeded with programming/cutting as there has not been  a lot of interest shown.
Recenlty I've had a couple inquiries ,  so  figured I'd post  a couple pics  and see if we can't get  a few people interested and do an initial run of them.

These would use   the  PeerlessT2SG tweeter and the speaker  should pair nicely with the X-Vocca in a HT   system

Pricing would basically be identical to the NX-Otica  packs, they'd share the same   braces and base but the  baffles and wings  wouild obviouisly be differnt  due to the non OB  tweeter.
They'd assemble/glue up  identically to the  NX-Otica's.... wins fir iinto 10 degree rabbets on rear of baffle,  braces located in dado's in wings & baffles,  all  postioned on the base via dowels and counter sunk screws ( screws make gluing the bases very simple)

As usual,   all woofer holes would  have   rear side radius  and all  dreiver   mouinting screws  will be pre-drilled. Braces pre-drilled with wiring pass through holes  and  cut-outs  radiused on both sides.

Let's see   how the interest is.....

jay

Danny Richie

Re: X-Otica (Not NX-Otica) Flat Packs....
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2019, 10:51 pm »
I could also offer this model using the standard M-165/16 and M-165 woofers making this a very low cost full open baffle kit. The whole kit would be in the $650 to $750 range depending on crossover options.

That doesn't include the flat pack.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2019, 11:32 pm »
Is the tweeter in this model the same as the x-ls monitors?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2019, 11:49 pm »
Is the tweeter in this model the same as the x-ls monitors?

Yes. This was my variant.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.0

Jay's version would give all the bang without all the time and expense.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2019, 11:58 pm »
Yes. This was my variant.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.0

Jay's version would give all the bang without all the time and expense.

Thanks!

I want to dip my toes in the open baffle waters but can’t make up my mind for which model. The NX-Otica mtm is the most attractive to me at the moment but this model has my interest too. Has there been an mtm version of the X-Otica?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2019, 12:08 am »
Thanks!

I want to dip my toes in the open baffle waters but can’t make up my mind for which model. The NX-Otica mtm is the most attractive to me at the moment but this model has my interest too. Has there been an mtm version of the X-Otica?

Not that I'm aware of.  Jay?

Roots can be traced back to the X-Static

http://gr-research.com/x-statikkit.aspx

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2019, 05:24 am »

Not that I'm aware of.  Jay?

Roots can be traced back to the X-Static

http://gr-research.com/x-statikkit.aspx

I do have a model/drawings for the MTM version  of this..   I actually  posted them   way, way back in the develpment of the NX-Otica's before  doing the  NX MTM's.

Yeah,  I did grab  the center to center  measuwe did from the  frouindents for the  mtm section  of this speaker from the X-Statik's but  the rest was from the  NX-Otica's  which  we did from  the ground up with   driver  dimensions.

jay

VonHess

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2019, 08:00 pm »
Really like PeterJ's build of the xotica.  Is there a flatpack version of this, with the side and top 'windows'?  Also does this affect the sound, using the window vs the standard short wing design?

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2019, 10:56 pm »
We're not doing any like this,  Danny and I talked about it and  decided  to  go  ththis way.

jay

VonHess

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:55 am »
We're not doing any like this,  Danny and I talked about it and  decided  to  go  ththis way.

jay

any cabinet plans available to diy?

bfs21

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2019, 12:07 am »
Danny, a few posts up you mentioned a simpler X-Otica version with the basic M-165/16 and M-165 woofers.

Just curious, ever give thought to upgrading an X-Statik with M-165NQ and/or M-165NQ/16 woofers? Presumably one would do that only in the MTM. 

I've expressed interest to Jay in getting these flatpacks, but if the project never happens perhaps supercharging a my existing X-Statiks / X-Voce would be an alternative way forward...

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2019, 12:54 am »
I do plan to make the X-Otica available.

I want it to be a clear step up from the X-Statik and be full open baffle.

It can be done with all M165/16 and M165 drivers or upgraded to the M165NQ/16 drivers for the MTM.

Modifying an X-Statik model with the M165NQ drivers would require a complete redesign of the crossover and basically be the same as starting over.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:32 am »
A couple more  committed  people and    will   get some  done.   

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2019, 01:58 pm »
We built out a pair of these and they sound fantastic.

elias.vazq

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2020, 01:49 pm »
Im really interesting to build a part of this X-otica ones, hope more people wish to try them, in order to get more information about this kind in the forum.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2020, 01:42 am »
Im really interesting to build a part of this X-otica ones, hope more people wish to try them, in order to get more information about this kind in the forum.

I should get Jay to send me one of those flat packs. That is another model I'd like to add to the new website.

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2020, 09:24 pm »
Just  would like to have a few pairs spoken for before  continuing... have a lot of  NX Otica/NX-Treme inventory  rigfht now and  not really  wanting  to be sitting on a stack of these  .
I know there a couple   folks  interested,  just need  a   cople more...

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2020, 10:31 pm »
Just  would like to have a few pairs spoken for before  continuing... have a lot of  NX Otica/NX-Treme inventory  rigfht now and  not really  wanting  to be sitting on a stack of these  .

jay

I'll buy the first pair.

Barryg443

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2020, 10:51 pm »

jay

Is there an approximate cost on the x-otica flat pack?

I was going to consider the x-static until I found this thread topic.

Barry

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2020, 06:28 pm »
It'll be very  similar to  NX-Otica    flat pack cost

jay