Audio Myths Thread

Freo-1

Audio Myths Thread
« on: 23 May 2019, 01:05 am »

Thought it would be fun to start a thread about audio myths.  There are many out there, but let's start with this one:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/152143111-audio-myth-switching-power-supplies-are-noisy

I've noticed some of the Class D amps have large transformer power supplies, as well as the vast majority of Class A and Class A/B amps.

According to this white paper, that is a myth for the reasons outlined.  Thoughts?

Russell Dawkins

Re: Audio Myths Thread
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2019, 01:20 am »
A good idea for a thread, if a little dangerous!

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2019, 01:35 am »
Yep, probably best to just quarantine it now.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2019, 01:38 am »
Current restriction. That might be the biggest. There is no such thing. If there was, breakers and fuses wouldn’t work.

Well, there is current tunneling but it doesn’t exist in audio playback or our daily life. We’re talking wires smaller than you can find. And they have to be cooled aggressively so that they don’t explode.

That’s what happens when you have too much current, you get an explosion if a breaker or whatever doesn’t trip. It’s from heat.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2019, 01:38 am »
A good idea for a thread, if a little dangerous!

Yup!

Yep, probably best to quarantine it now.

:lol:

It's going to be a real hit and myth thread!

audio.bill

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2019, 01:39 am »
I think the myth regarding switching power supplies is that they're all inherently noisy. Often switching power supplies are used as a cost savings factor and when engineered on that basis they are generally noisy. A very well engineered switching power supply (like those designed and used by Jeff Rowland for example) actually outperform a linear supply but are quite expensive to build properly. It's easier for most designers to build a linear power supply which provides sufficient power and operates without generating excessive noise than to design a switcher that provides similar performance. Like most things in high end audio generalizations don't always apply, quality and ultimate performance of any design are often determined by implementation details.

Another audio myth is that a cartridge is the most important component of an analog playback source, and as long as the table spins at the correct speed it's the cartridge that will determine the performance level of the turntable. That belief is often based upon the truth that the cartridge is the only transducer in the turntable system which converts mechanical energy to electrical energy. As such it does have a significant impact on the turntable's performance, but the quality of the table itself along with the tonearm can have even a bigger impact than the cartridge. Any noise from the table (either transmitted from vibrations, bearing noise, motor noise, etc.) is picked up by the cartridge and then magnified many times by the amplification stages. The better the cartridge the more susceptible it is to picking up even minute noise or vibrations present in the system. If the tonearm doesn't do its job by rigidly holding the cartridge and controlling any resonances and minimizing extraneous vibrations then the entire setup fails to perform well. So an analog source should be a well matched combination of table, tonearm and cartridge in order to provide the best performance in any given price range.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2019, 01:50 am »
 :popcorn:

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2019, 02:09 am »
The term myth in regards to audio is just a loaded signifier for hobbyists with a particular viewpoint. So yeah I don’t see this ending well. Or should we just cut straight to the ethan winer links?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2019, 10:18 am »
The myths are all based on what we want to believe versus science.  Very easy to let our hearing fool us, in fact it's so embarrassing that I rarely admit to being one outside of the community.  Amazing how many variations of high fidelity exist in the minds of audiophiles. 

After 50+ years at this I have several opinions:

1.)  Nearly all of us lack a decent musical background to appreciate what we're hearing.

2.)  Very few have an understanding of how the room affects what we experience.

3.)  Most tweaks are pure snake oil.

4.)  We're largely trophy hunters, constantly seeking the next great prize.

Photon46

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2019, 10:30 am »
We know how this thread will end. The only question is how long it will take.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2019, 11:44 am »

Here is the next set of topics regarding myths.  These deal mostly with digital vs. analog:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/digital-audio-demonstration-video

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2019, 11:48 am »
I dunno, I'm one of the subjectivists and I found the discussion on SMPS very interesting and I'd like to hear more.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2019, 12:08 pm »
Do we have to differentiate between:
a] Products base on Alternate Universe science & engineering?
b] Well manufactured products that don't affect the audible or measurable sound?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2019, 12:46 pm »
The elephant in the room is our own minds... :popcorn:

Steve

« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2019, 01:18 pm »
Here is the next set of topics regarding myths.  These deal mostly with digital vs. analog:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/digital-audio-demonstration-video

I think this link, presentation, has been addressed in depth by some on another forum, and has some fundamental problems we tend to overlook. I know I did. I would like to post portions of their comments from this link if I may.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/digital-technology-collection.64669/

Portion from CPT_paranoia"

His discussion of the stepless output is based on pure sampling theory, where each sample is a zero-width Dirac delta function (his 'lollipop diagram').

That's correct in theory, but in the real world, a DAC does implement the zero-order hold he mentions, and the output of the DAC chip DOES have steps; it does not produce zero-width delta function outputs. A DAC chip is therefore followed by a Nyquist reconstruction filter, to remove the steps.

A real-world ADC will also generate a sampling (or quantisation) error, as, unless you have infinite bits, there will be an error between the real sample, and the nearest ADC quantising value. His lollipops are assumed to be perfect samples, with zero quantisation error.

Sampling theory assumes perfect, 'brick-wall' Nyquist filters. In the real world, these do not exist. Real filters have problems like roll-off rates, and ripple in passband amplitude & phase....

It would have been illuminating for him to have changed the precision of his samples, from the 16 bits he used, to 8 bits, or even 4 bits. Using 16 bits, the quantisation error will be below the noise floor of the analyser he was using. It's not a good idea to try to claim an effect doesn't exist because you can't measure it....

I started my career working on the development of the GSM standard, and the first network and handsets. In particular, the frequency synthesis and modulation. We used a technique called Digiphase, a type of fractional-N synthesiser. It did direct digital modulation by constantly changing the synthesiser frequency. It used a third-order interpolator, combined with digital predistortion to meet the modulation and spectral mask requirements. Essentially, a noise-shaping DAC. 

Portion from Joe:

The video has some problems. First, a scope won't reveal if the sine wave is "exactly" and/or a "perfect" sine wave. For instance, if the fundamental frequency is altered slightly, the scope will never reveal it. Even an amp with 5% or more harmonic distortion will be quite difficult to see on a scope. Now consider an entire orchestra, singing. Evidently, we must believe what he says.

If other frequencies are introduced, the scope will never reveal it. What do I mean by that? The distortion analyzer shows nothing but the fundamental frequency and harmonics. If the fundamental frequency is slightly altered, it will not be seen.

When dealing with bit depth, "stair steps" (16 bit, 65,536 values, 24 bit, we have 16,777,216 values), very rarely is the analog signal going to be exactly on a "value"/"step" during the sample period. The signal will be in between, so which value is chosen, an upper or lower value? Whichever value is chosen, the slope/rise time is altered between samples by definition, thus the fundamental frequency is also slightly altered between samples, said instrument won't reveal to us.

We won't have to worry about the slope exceeding 20khz unless the harmonic is quite high in frequency. Eight bit alters the slope/rise time even more, plus 8 bit lacks dynamics, inner detail even more than 16 bit. The inference that 8 bit, even 16 bit is enough for high quality music is the opposite of what Philips engineers believed, but RCA marketed 16 bit players anyway, and the rest is history.

Notice the Gibb's effect. It is within 20khz which is to be expected, Notice its amplitude value is high compared to the rectangular wave. Any Intermodulation distortion in the system, whether it be from speakers, electrical components, will cause mixing with this ringing, and cause non musical tones in the audio band.

It takes two samples to recreate a sine wave. At 10khz, there are only 4 samples per cycle, 5khz only 8 samples. However, music is not a simple sine wave nor a rectangular wave with equal repetitive waveforms. Music is complex with all sorts of phase relationships between instruments and their waveforms. Think it can reproduce the music perfectly when parts tolerances enter the picture and values are altered?

The author has not overcome the differences between theory and reality.

cheers

steve

« Last Edit: 24 May 2019, 01:22 am by Steve »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2019, 01:22 pm »
The elephant in the room is our own minds... :popcorn:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2019, 01:30 pm »
Thought it would be fun to start a thread about audio myths.  There are many out there, but let's start with this one:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/152143111-audio-myth-switching-power-supplies-are-noisy

I've noticed some of the Class D amps have large transformer power supplies, as well as the vast majority of Class A and Class A/B amps.

According to this white paper, that is a myth for the reasons outlined.  Thoughts?

I have always thought all transformers color the sound. But some of the newer SET tube amps do not seem to be colored. Is that because of the size of the transformer?

David Berning and other companies quit making transformer driven tube amps many years ago because of this.

Steve

« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2019, 01:39 pm »
I have always thought all transformers color the sound. But some of the newer SET tube amps do not seem to be colored. Is that because of the size of the transformer?

David Berning and other companies quit making transformer driven tube amps many years ago because of this.

I have been able to even use Hammond OPTs and performed specialized, proprietary listening tests and found the amps to be super accurate, no artificial flavors. Push Pull can be just or even more accurate than SETs. 

Cheers Tom.

steve

audioengr

« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2019, 04:32 pm »

I thing there are a very few off-the-shelf switching supplies that are really clean.  Most are designed very cheaply.  Likewise, linear supplies have their flaws - most of them regulate too slowly so they are not great for digital sources.

The explanations that Benchmark gives are pretty lame IMO.  Magnetics causing hum etc...

Even if you use a custom optimized switcher, you probably have to follow it with a fast linear regulator to get the best results (this is what I do).  Noise floor will be affected by a switcher usually and sometimes they even put crap on the line voltage.

For the most part, switchers inherently regulate fast and linears inherently have low noise.  You can certainly eliminate these deficiencies for both types of supplies if the designs are optimized.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2019, 04:40 pm »
I think this link, presentation, has been addressed in depth by some on another forum, and has some fundamental problems we tend to overlook. I know I did. I would like to post portions of their comments from this link if I may.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/digital-technology-collection.64669/

I watched this a few years back and had a similar reaction.  It does not get into the weeds like it should.  The reproduction of complex HF transients is the thing that sets apart a really good DAC and a mediocre DAC. This is why in competent systems one can easily hear the improvement of 24/192 over 16/44.1.   Digital filters also do much more damage to the sound quality that most realize, even those that roll-off at 40-60kHz.  I call it the #2 problem with digital audio, #1 being jitter.  Pre-ringing is another questionable effect.  I have hear many non-apodizing filters that sounded bad.

Steve N.