Any experience with MastersounD amps?

jimmieg

Any experience with MastersounD amps?
« on: 7 Sep 2017, 02:24 pm »
I recently got a pair of Omega super high output alnico monitors and I'm very curious about moving to a low powered tube amp. My current amp is an Ayre ax7e and seems to be fine, but wondering about what I might be missing since I now have speakers that will pair well with low-watt amps. I am selling a pair of Harbeth M30.1 speakers and the distributor for MastersouD has approached me about trading the Harbeths for a MastersounD amp. I had a quick look at his website and they look like nice amps, made in Italy. However I am a tube newbie and have many questions as I work on this. I am already aware that many Omega owners pair them with Decware and i have not ruled this or anything else out at this point. The thing that makes this attractive is that I could accomplish my goal....move a pair of speakers that I no longer have room for....and replace them with an amp that I really would like to try....all in one simple transaction.....tempting. But I just don't know that i know enough to make a decision yet. I know this; I don't want the speakers to sound under-powered and wind up with anemic sound. i listen mostly to vinyl in a small dedicated room, sitting about 6-7 feet away. I don't listen extremely loudly but I would like to be able to turn it up a bit if i am in the mood. The Omegas are rated at 97db, 4-6 ohms. Thoughts?

Gtasound

Re: Any experience with MastersounD amps?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2017, 03:19 am »
Which Mastersound amp? and which Omega speakers?

jimmieg

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2017, 04:05 pm »
I have super high output alnico monitors.  The Mastersound amps I would consider would be either the Compact 300B integrated or the Compact 845 integrated.

Gtasound

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2017, 02:57 am »
Had a look at the MastersounD 300b specs, the 15w output in class (A) is very optimistic for a class (A) amp, it would be possible in class (A2), most good 300b amps are spec'ed at between 6w to 8w max, depending on your room size and how loud you listen you could get away with a 2a3 set amp putting out 3w, so a 300b amp set amp giving 6w output would be the other option. Have a look at <Bottlehead.com> these are kits to give you an idea, no affiliation with this Co.