Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2080 on: 13 Jun 2017, 04:09 pm »

Lol.
I know. You used to sell BDP-1 and 2's though..... I imagine one needs some sort of incentive to upgrade. Library handling might be one of them.

Ive pinned one of the many tag issues in my library down. Apparently MM scans the 00. (HTOA).flac files. They're supposed tp be Hidden (Track One Audio)  ...
I can simply delete them, but maybe you could exclude them from scanning, to let the other software be able to use these files?

Cheers,
Marius

Ignore files that begin with "00."?

Marius

« Reply #2081 on: 13 Jun 2017, 04:14 pm »
Ignore files that begin with "00."?

Actually the file is a (htoa).flac

I do believe it is always numbered 00. (As it was in my case)
as prefix though I am not certain. Please check a bit for yourself, it should be quite standardized.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=HTOA
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_CUETools

Marius
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2017, 05:44 pm by Marius »

Rod_S

« Reply #2082 on: 13 Jun 2017, 04:24 pm »
The user space must also be using the ext filesystem, this can be checked in disk information, if it isn't (still fat32) a factory reset will update it.  The bdp with also need internet access

Thanks

So probably a dumb question, how do I verify while in the Disk Information screen and how do I trigger the change? I'm looking at the Disk Information screen right now and have no idea what to do.

Marius

« Reply #2083 on: 13 Jun 2017, 05:38 pm »
Thanks

So probably a dumb question, how do I verify while in the Disk Information screen and how do I trigger the change? I'm looking at the Disk Information screen right now and have no idea what to do.

Hi
Select the User disk on the left

And check in the settings below for ext or fat32.

If not ext, reset to factory settings in the settings/system tab.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #2084 on: 13 Jun 2017, 06:34 pm »
Thanks very much. So what issues might I expect to encounter when a factory reboot is triggered? Will I have to reset the sound card output, NAS, etc.?

Marius

« Reply #2085 on: 13 Jun 2017, 07:38 pm »
Thanks very much. So what issues might I expect to encounter when a factory reboot is triggered? Will I have to reset the sound card output, NAS, etc.?

It all depends on your settings. In my case most editing went into the NAS. Be sure to back up the settings (go in to finder and find the User folder on your BDP and copy that, so you can later copy them back if required. All files can be read by a text editor, though on my mac they are appearing to be exec files..

Cheers,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #2086 on: 14 Jun 2017, 01:07 pm »
Thanks for the additional assistance.

Marius

« Reply #2087 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:19 am »
HI Chris,

please consider this feature request:

it would be extremely welcome to be able to in/exclude drives in the Bryston DB.
I'll explain. My library is organized on several usb drives (mirrored on my NAS as logical drives), per Style. I have one for Pop (and related styles like Dance, etc etc) one for Jazz (and soul, country etc etc) and one for Classical. All flacs. Mp3's on my Nas, configured in MM to be read directly from there.

Here comes: I've discovered the Tagging (which is used for displaying Artist view in MM) is not up to its necessities. Understatement. But after several days , I've managed to get it nearer to something useful. That is to say, Pop and Jazz drives. Classical, as always, is a mess. There is simply no unified database to be found, which has a sufficient and significant enough database to use for tagging ones classical library. Especially where the main tag Artist is concerned. Composer, Orchestra, Soloist, Conductor. All to be found under the tag Artist....

You can imagine the unusable Artistview in MM resulting from this. Ive solved it for the time being by unplugging the drive. But that's not a desired situation for obvious reasons.

returning to my feature request: please let the inclusion of drives in the DB be selective. That way someone with a perfectly tagged library can simply include all drives, and someone like me can only select the correct ones  :oops:

Related: are you considering the reintroduction of Album View by any chance? It would be a welcome addition to be able to view the library lets say on Wagners Ring, instead of the artist performing it. (Conductor, singer, orchestra, which are  also performing many many other pieces.....) I understand this would be of most interest to listeners of classical music (where a piece is performed by several Artists). More so than with Pop eg (where Neil Young's Harvest Moon is to be found many times under the same Artist ;) )  Both views would most certainly have their merits.

Cheers,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #2088 on: 17 Jun 2017, 05:03 pm »
So I did the factory re-set and re-added my NAS back in, all of my albums are displaying once again and I confirmed the user space is now ext but I'm still not seeing the enhanced Artist view. I'm running the 6/15 beta firmware and the updated dashboard with all of the albums showing on the dashboard. What additional settings might I not have set in order to see the enhanced Artist view?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2089 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:25 pm »
So I did the factory re-set and re-added my NAS back in, all of my albums are displaying once again and I confirmed the user space is now ext but I'm still not seeing the enhanced Artist view. I'm running the 6/15 beta firmware and the updated dashboard with all of the albums showing on the dashboard. What additional settings might I not have set in order to see the enhanced Artist view?

S2.33 2017 06 15 (technically S2.33 2017 06 13) now requires you to activate the "bryston API", an option found in media player settings (gear icon found in media player)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2090 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:27 pm »
in/exclude drives in the Bryston DB

I'll investigate the difficulty

Rod_S

« Reply #2091 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:22 pm »
S2.33 2017 06 15 (technically S2.33 2017 06 13) now requires you to activate the "bryston API", an option found in media player settings (gear icon found in media player)

That did the trick, thanks  :thumb:

Krutsch

« Reply #2092 on: 19 Jun 2017, 03:52 pm »
I've noticed with the newer/newest? BETA build, Manic Moose now remembers what Artist you were viewing, when flipping back from the Default View to Artist View.

Thanks, Chris, for adding that in - very nice touch!

Krutsch

« Reply #2093 on: 19 Jun 2017, 04:04 pm »
Quick note on the new Artists View:

I like where you are going with this new view, but I wanted to point out 2 things:

1. It's identifying the very album I am looking in Albums (3) as a Missing Album. In looking at a number of examples, I recommend trimming everything but the release year when comparing titles to see if something is missing (just a thought). In my examples, the web version contains month/day, in addition to the year, and the albums don't match.

2. There is not a lot of space available for the actual albums, even if I close the lower accordion panels. In other words, it would be ideal if the accordion panels were bottom-justified to allow maximum space available for the Albums panel within a selected artist.

EDIT: also, on 1., consider comparing titles after making both strings lower case and stripping-out any punctuation or anything within brackets or parenthesis - you just want to get to the base title and release year, ignoring any variations made by tagging.

Marius

« Reply #2094 on: 19 Jun 2017, 04:04 pm »
I've noticed with the newer/newest? BETA build, Manic Moose now remembers what Artist you were viewing, when flipping back from the Default View to Artist View.

Thanks, Chris, for adding that in - very nice touch!

Indeed, a cool option, if it were optional ;-) could you make it such Chris?

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2095 on: 20 Jun 2017, 05:38 am »
Cleaning up the interface, nice!
Much needed, elegant solution  :thumb:

Marius

« Reply #2096 on: 20 Jun 2017, 08:24 am »
HI Chris,

Would it be possible to have MM ignore video-files and folders? As it stands i have several dvd rips organized under the artist record folder (eg a live cd with accompanying dvd). MM can't read tags on these, but does show them in Artist view, though not correct obviously. Would be cool to be able to ignore these files and folders. .mpg, .avi, mp4, and video_ts folders.

ALso I've had several .wav files wrongly shown without their Artist tag. Couldn't stick the tags in MusicBrainz, worked with XLD, but to no avail. converted them to flac files, and MM still shows the .wav file  :scratch: :scratch:
Anyways, is there a solution for these .wav files?

Cheers,
Marius

XMAN

« Reply #2097 on: 20 Jun 2017, 01:31 pm »
Cleaning up the interface, nice!
Much needed, elegant solution  :thumb:

Hi Marius i just tried it and thought it would suppress the messages in DB what is it suppressing?

Marius

« Reply #2098 on: 20 Jun 2017, 01:36 pm »
Hi Marius i just tried it and thought it would suppress the messages in DB what is it suppressing?

amongst others. Kinda cool, since they tend to be obnoxious sometimes. Still, the info is needed, so i think it's kinda neat Chris put that in the media player settings at the bottom.

Cheers,
Marius

Hoiman

« Reply #2099 on: 21 Jun 2017, 02:27 pm »
Is it possible to save the setting of the volume?

Each time I close the BDP-3 I have to set the volume of the sound.
I have to set the sound to the half, now it's full.
I have to do this because otherwise the sound of the SP2 will be much to loud even in almost the lowest level the sound is to loud.