Solid State Integrated Recommendations?

zmaggio

Solid State Integrated Recommendations?
« on: 16 May 2020, 06:47 pm »
Hello all,

I primarily drive my SAM XRS with a Line Magnetic LM-218ia and it's a beguiling combo.  The LM isn't going anywhere and I intend to keep using it for all critical listening sessions...   But that said the LM is a hot, angry beast and after a few hours it can really heat up my small listening room.  I certainly don't dare leave it on for background listening; if it's on, I'm plunked in front of it giving it my full attention.

So I'm considering getting a modest solid state integrated amp that I can leave running for "background" music, or non-critical listening during prolonged periods of time when I might be in and out of the room.  Because this would be a second amp purely for non-critical listening, I'm not prepared to spend oodles of money.  In fact - and maybe this is audiophile blasphemy - I'm toying with the idea of going "mid-fi", with something by the likes of Rotel, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Peachtree, or one of the other brands at that tier.   I don't want an amp with a DAC, phono stage, Bluetooth, or any of that.  Just a reliable, well-designed, well-built amp delivering halfway decent sound that I can leave running for hours without worrying about it.

My question: does anyone have any experience or advice on pairing a solid state amp by one of these manufacturers with their Omegas? Are there other manufacturers I should consider? To be honest, I've only ever owned one solid state integrated amplifier - a Creek evolution, which I hated due to what I perceived as a hot top end that left my ears hurting. 

Give me your solid state recommendations!  Thanks!

avta

Re: Solid State Integrated Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2020, 07:00 pm »
Nuprime IDA 8. I have not used mine with your speakers but I’d guess it would be a nice fit.

seikosha

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2020, 09:32 pm »
Rega Brio R is my favorite SS amp I’ve used on my various Omegas.  No it’s not going to sound as good as tubes, but it’s a fun dynamic performer with a punchy bass.

I’ve had a Musical Fidelity M5 and NAD integrated that were decent, the NAD was a bit more lively the MF more polite.  My Nuprime STA 9 is just sort of a boring lifeless performer and truth be told, I’ve yet to hear a Class D amp that really gets me excited.  I’ve got a Pass Amp Camp that’s okay, but believe it or not the cheap chifi Class A amp I have based on a vintage John Linsley Hood circuit is better.  I know some of this stuff isn’t integrated but just wanted to say some things about different amp types.

Good luck.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2020, 09:46 pm »
Okay, since this about the ears, forget about looks.  :lol:

$1200 will buy you this... https://www.cherryamp.com/stereo-maraschino-stm

I haven't paired it with Omega speakers but other have and it delivers super high quality sound. The mono block version took me out of SET amplification three years ago and to this day I am still very happy with that move. I haven't kept any previous tube or SS amp this long and I don't see the day when I return to tubes either. It isn't merely that good, it's bloody fantastic!!  :thumb: :thumb:

OTOH $129 will buy you this... https://allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-d-amp.html

This delivers surprisingly very high quality sound and is far, far better than you'd dare to imagine. :o  Not as nearly as good as the first recommendation but at least every bit as good if not better than anything you mentioned in the mid-fi tier for a fraction of the cost.  :thumb:

Either of these two options can be left on active duty 24/7 and will glue you into in the sweet spot for hours at a time. :D :D

Holygeezer

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2020, 09:47 pm »
I had a Dayens Ampino that I really liked. I was using it with a set of 1.5 way towers using the RS5 drivers. It was a fantastic system. I believe it runs around $700 new. Though I found my used through Audiogon for under $400. There are other integrated amps from Dayens with more power as well. It's a very basic amp with no remote. And it was rated 25 watts at 8 ohms.

billion$baby

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2020, 11:09 am »

I haven't paired it with Omega speakers but other have and it delivers super high quality sound. The mono block version took me out of SET amplification three years ago and to this day I am still very happy with that move. I haven't kept any previous tube or SS amp this long and I don't see the day when I return to tubes either. It isn't merely that good, it's bloody fantastic!!  :thumb: :thumb:

Never heard of these amps...and they are built in my state. After looking around there are numerous glowing reviews of them over the years.  Ive never messed with CLASS D before but I might just pick up their new 5 Channel MC Amp for $3600 and see how I like it. Thanks for bringing this brand to my attention. Might be a game changer  :)

rodge827

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2020, 12:11 pm »
+1 for the DAC Stereo Maraschino!
I have a pair of Charney Audio Companion horns with Omega RS7 drivers. The DAC amps took the RS7 drivers to a much higher level. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2020, 03:32 pm »
Never heard of these amps...and they are built in my state. After looking around there are numerous glowing reviews of them over the years.  Ive never messed with CLASS D before but I might just pick up their new 5 Channel MC Amp for $3600 and see how I like it. Thanks for bringing this brand to my attention. Might be a game changer  :)

Fasten your seat belt.  :popcorn:

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2020, 03:53 pm »
Pass Labs .......

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2020, 04:11 pm »
zmaggio I think the Klipsch Powergate would be perfect for your application. It sounds great, has multiple inputs, will stream pretty much any service via DTS Playfi, and is on sale $199:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0A7PH5?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2020, 04:33 pm »
Pass Labs .......

Beyond the scope and budget of the OP's goal.

Holygeezer

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2020, 04:34 pm »
Pass Labs .......
From my understanding, Pass Labs run quite hot. The original poster was looking for a solid state option because his tube amp ran too hot. I may be wrong on Pass Labs running hot though. And like Wind Chaser posted, they are likely beyond the budget as well.

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2020, 07:10 pm »
From my understanding, Pass Labs run quite hot. The original poster was looking for a solid state option because his tube amp ran too hot. I may be wrong on Pass Labs running hot though. And like Wind Chaser posted, they are likely beyond the budget as well.

not necessarily true, depends on Class of operation. I have a pair of X260.8's and while they have a large amount of initial Class A bias they never get anything but warm to the touch. My son has a Pass integrated and the same thing can be said, never more than warm.

As for the Op's suggestion request, my bad, glossed over the 'modest' part !

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2020, 07:22 pm »
not necessarily true, depends on Class of operation. I have a pair of X260.8's and while they have a large amount of initial Class A bias they never get anything but warm to the touch. My son has a Pass integrated and the same thing can be said, never more than warm.

As for the Op's suggestion request, my bad, glossed over the 'modest' part !

I have a Pass X250 amp and it gets hot.

effluviography

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2020, 12:01 am »
In my basement art studio, I use Omega 3xrs with a Marantz PM5005 amp with a Decware Zstage to tube it up a bit. Tube is not driven hard so not too warm.  Sounds good and not too expensive. I got the Marantz as a demo and the Zstage used - less than 800 bucks for the two combined.

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2020, 12:04 am »
I have a Pass X250 amp and it gets hot.

strange, for I don't believe it has as much initial Class A bias as my 260.8's. Too hot to touch ?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2020, 01:06 am »
strange, for I don't believe it has as much initial Class A bias as my 260.8's. Too hot to touch ?

It gets up to 120F although I had run it continuously for several hours and it was hotter.   I am driving a pair of Magnepan 1.6's which are 4 ohm speakers.  Although, the amp almost never leaves class A as the needle almost never crosses midline to the right on the meter except on dynamic passages, even at loud volumes.

As for its class A operation, I have read that it  runs in Class A anywhere from 20-80 wpc depending upon the pro-review.  I think that Pass claims 20 watts.

The X250 has 12 pounds on your X260.8.  I am not sure what that means though.  Maybe more heat sink and larger power supply?

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2020, 04:16 am »
+1 for the DAC Stereo Maraschino!
I have a pair of Charney Audio Companion horns with Omega RS7 drivers. The DAC amps took the RS7 drivers to a much higher level.

+2

I have two friends with the Omega/STM combo and they love it.

AvsFan

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2020, 05:08 am »

OTOH $129 will buy you this... https://allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-d-amp.html

This delivers surprisingly very high quality sound and is far, far better than you'd dare to imagine. :o  Not as nearly as good as the first recommendation but at least every bit as good if not better than anything you mentioned in the mid-fi tier for a fraction of the cost.  :thumb:

Either of these two options can be left on active duty 24/7 and will glue you into in the sweet spot for hours at a time. :D :D

Wind Chaser! We couldn’t be on the same page more even if we had gotten together and planned this. You KNOW I love Tommy’s electronics, owned the STM and now have his game ending monoblock Golden Cherries.

And the Allo Volt+, I have raved about that special and spectacular sounding little TPA chip amp forever. I LOVE that amp regardless of price. I had it hooked up to a pair of ZU Audio Dirty Weekends and even had it running my Magnepan’s while I waited for my Golden Cherries. It made beautiful music hooked up to the demanding Maggie’s! He doesn’t even need the $129 Volt+ D. With the Omega’s pick up the $69 Volt + and get the 19v power supply. Everything with shipping is a little over $100. Don’t waste your money on anything else. You could even do critical listening with the Allo and Omega’s and be happy. And, I leave mine on 24/7, I never turn it off, it never gets hot. Perfect solution.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2020, 03:17 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: