CAM or SAM for my foray into single driver speakers

smrex13

CAM or SAM for my foray into single driver speakers
« on: 19 Aug 2020, 08:37 pm »
Hi everyone,

I hope that you are all safe and healthy out there!  I think I am ready to take the plunge into single driver speakers.  My system is a fairly simple vinyl-only system in a 12x15 room.  I have an Acoustic Signature Wow XL turntable, Don Sachs phono stage, and a Mystere ia11 (40wpc).  A couple of years ago I tried a pair of Contrast Audio bookshelf speakers.  They were high efficiency with a 5 inch woofer and a tweeter that only kicked in at 10khz, so it apparently had some of the characteristics of single driver speakers.  At first, they sounded thin and brittle, but a few weeks later I was stunned by the clarity and the realism of the sound.  Although I've tried other gear, that sound has always stuck with me.  I listen primarily to jazz with some other artists mixed in (Dylan, Neil Young, Lucinda Williams, Richard and Linda Thompson, etc.).  Nothing too hard/heavy, and I don't play the system loud.   

So, I was wondering if any of you have had the chance to compare the CAM and SAM.  Do you have a preference for one or the other, taking into account the music I listen to?  I'm not worried about the difference in cost.  I will also talk with Louis, of course.

Thank you for any input that you have.  Sincerely, Scott

roscoe65

Re: CAM or SAM for my foray into single driver speakers
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2020, 12:52 am »
For your room and music the SAM would be perfect.  An alternative would be a Junior 6 XRS.  The cabinet volume is the same as a SAM but will give a bit better bass.  You save some money not buying stands.

Doody

• Troublemaker
Re: CAM or SAM for my foray into single driver speakers
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2020, 08:40 pm »
IMHO: if you can make the SAMs work, go with the SAMs. i have CAMs due to sizing constraints. i also have louis' subwoofer, which is a huge win.

Doody