Sony has their head up their butt, again

Wayner

Sony has their head up their butt, again
« on: 10 Mar 2007, 10:13 pm »
I just came home with my new RCD-W500C CD recorder and managed to get 1 CD made....and then it took a dump. I bought this recorder to replace my old Philips first generation CDR-765 but I guess it will stay in the loop as the Sony is going back to the store. The salesman told me that he has also had complaints from other customers that the Sony recorder only liked Sony brand music CD-R's. Has this company lost it's mind? They bitch about software theft, yet make machines that play mp3's, now this stuff. Anyone know of a better brand of CD recorder?

W :cry:

WEEZ

Re: Sony has their head up their butt, again
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2007, 10:28 pm »
Ever thought about Tascam?

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2007, 10:33 pm »
Yes, but I was hoping not to spend that much money. Maybe I will have to. Thanks Weez!

W 8)

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2007, 10:47 pm »
better yet...Alesis..

boead

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2007, 12:18 am »
Don't you have a computer?

Sony CDRW drive are of the best I've ever owned.

BTW: J&R has the Sony RCDW500C for $229
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=3697391&JRSource=become.datafeed.SON+RCDW500C

At that price I can’t imagine it being all that good.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2007, 12:33 am »
boead, ever tried recording LP's to a computer? it just isn't the best way to do it.

W

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2007, 12:48 am »
I realize this may do more than you need, but the Alesis Masterlink ML9600 will get the job done in no uncertain terms for $800.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_alesis_masterlink_ml9600_master_disk_recorder?full_sku=100659895&src=4WFRWXX

It is nice to have the capability of recording 16, 20 or 24 bit 44, 48, 88 or 96k sampling SPDIF  or AES/EBU digital, balanced or unbalanced analog plus do elaborate compression, limiting, EQ, normalization, level adjustments and fades. Not only that, but your soundfile can be stored at high resolution (24/96) with DSP choices recorded separately on a standard CDR, for future adjustment, should that be necessary. Compression can be nice on some classical and jazz for car play.

For transfering vinyl LPs just lay the whole side down then go in after and adjust levels, lay down the track start positions, do fades at the start and end of each side and you're done. Easy.

I've had mine for at least 4 years and it has been utterly trouble free. I paid $2000 for mine when they first came out.

boead

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2007, 01:58 am »
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2007, 02:20 am by boead »

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2007, 07:23 pm »
Unfortunately, all I have is my Dell laptop and the only inputs I have are microphone. My Van Alstine would overdrive it. I have a nice desktop that has Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Pyro loaded in it but it has seen it's day and won't be replaced for some time.

I do have Cakewalk and Pyro on my laptop, and I use them to process and record CDs. I use the CD recorder to put my vinyl onto a CD-RW, manually inserting indexes if there is enough space between the songs. When I'm done recording, I dump the CD-RW on the laptop's harddrive. I convert them to wave files with the Roxio software and store the tunes in a temperary file. With Cakewalk I import the stereo .wav file, edit out all the surface noise from the LP (if any) right up to where the tune starts. Then I go the end of the track and put a nice fade-out at the end. Sometimes, I will also "normalize" the tune and when that is all done, I tell Cakewalk to export it to another temporary file where it is ready to be burnt onto a media CD-R. I have pulled off some damn good recordings this way and have fooled many people who never had a clue the music was recorded from an album.

W