***X-SLS & X-CS Encore, AV-1RS Build***

Danny Richie

Re: ***X-SLS & X-CS Encore, AV-1RS Build***
« Reply #100 on: 11 Sep 2015, 05:06 am »
Ah, you are talking about the slot port on the X-SLS version. An additional 18mm length will tune it slightly lower. Add a large flare to it and you'll be almost back to where you were.

Plund

« Reply #101 on: 1 Feb 2019, 01:22 am »
Peter J,
Old thread, I know...  I have been considering a future build- wanting to incorporate laminate at least on the front baffle.  I remembered reading this thread of yours years ago that had such great, helpful information on working with plastic laminate and veneer and I just finished reading/reviewing your educational posts again. 

Haven't seen posts from you for awhile but if/when you share the pictorial documentation of a build, I will be paying close attention!

Thanks again,
Pete

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #102 on: 1 Feb 2019, 09:10 pm »
Thanks for the post, Pete. If I sparked your imagination or provided helpful info then, at least for my part, "mission accomplished".

Haven't been building speakers lately, but rather remodeling other's homes and up-fitting my own shop so I can play there more and work on-site less. My interest in speaker building seems to ebb and flow. I guess that describes my whole modus operandi, generally speaking.

Among recent additions to challenge myself with has been a much bigger CNC router. A beast by my standard, but mid-line in the industrial world. The remodel I'm currently nearing completion on was such that I could cut all the kitchen cabs on router. It just amazes this old analog guy what's possible and learning the ins and outs of design software can be both maddening and rewarding. Fortunatly I like learning new stuff!

Even though I haven't building much in the audio world, it' never far from my mind. I have many ideas that I hope to execute and I'll be sure and blog about here if it's of interest. Some may even be audio related  :D

alanhuth

« Reply #103 on: 15 Jan 2020, 04:30 am »
HI Peter,

If you happen to see this, a couple of questions:

It looked like you put grout on top of the veneer.  How did you get it off and get everything polished?

When you positioned the grill magnets, you dropped them on.  Are those magnets strong enough to self-align with the magnets you had already embedded in the cabinet?  If not, I missed how you aligned the magnets. 

Thanks,

Alan

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #104 on: 15 Jan 2020, 09:42 pm »
Assuming you're looking at the glass tile inlays. Yes, I used conventional cementitious grout, but bear in mind that it was unsanded on top of plastic laminate, not stain & clear on veneer. Thus not a problem to sponge off and polish. I suspect one could do it over stain & clear but I'd mask it off and make sure finish was good and cured, not just dry to touch.

Yes to self alignment, the technique kinda depends on that. Since I did these, even stronger N52 neodymium magnets are commonly available. My current favorites are 1/4" diameter, in either 1/4" or 3/8" length depending on application. Sometimes 3/8" in cabs and 1/4" in grill so they can be slimmer in profile.  Don't want to bury to deep in either, but the magnetic force along axis is pretty amazing!

I'm fond of doing grills with the larger hole in grill as shown as alignment is perfect every time and orientation of magnets is not critical. They "self-correct" in a very obvious way. You can see more of the same using N-52s in my X-Otica build thread.

skeeter99

« Reply #105 on: 15 Jan 2020, 10:55 pm »
Wow, just went through this thread again and MY GOODNESS that's some amazing work Peter! Seriously, bowing down!!

Scott

alanhuth

« Reply #106 on: 16 Jan 2020, 04:58 am »
Thanks for clarifying about the magnets, Peter.

One more:  How did you do that black corner/edge trim?  I am starting a set of speakers that the designer told me I should rout a 1/2” 45 degree bevel on after veneering.  He suggested I stain the exposed plywood to match/contrast the veneer before final finishing.  I’m happy to do that, and it might look great.  But your build showed me possibly another option, but I have no idea what that material is and I don’t know if it’s possible to lay it on and shave it clean after veneer.  Can you shed some light on that idea?

Thanks again,

Alan

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #107 on: 16 Jan 2020, 05:44 am »
The black onlay is preglued edgebanding. I ironed it on then shaved off excess with single edge razor. Made flush with file. It was fussy.

I'm a little confused though, are you using wood veneer or plastic laminate? IMHO, the edge of ply, even Baltic Birch will look less than good. Too porous to finish well unless grain filled or something similar. But I don't know what the expectation is.

If using wood veneer, one can inlay square hardwood strips in the edges, veneer over them and then cut bevel, exposing underlying hardwood.

alanhuth

« Reply #108 on: 17 Jan 2020, 05:57 am »
Hi Peter,
This is what the speakers would look like without veneering.  I’m not sure how the plywood ends were treated, but it looks pretty good to me.  I’d like to veneer, then trim off the edges and put your edgebanding on, but going the exposed plys route seems posible, no?

alanhuth

« Reply #109 on: 17 Jan 2020, 06:02 am »
This is a flat pack kit I’m building.  My woodworking skills and equipment are non-existent.  Just slapping some hardwood into the edges is something you can do in your sleep, probably, but it would take me a month of Sunday’s.   If I go the veneer-then-bevel route, I will need to borrow a friend’s router to do that.  And pray i don’t screw up.  I think your edgebanding looks better than the exposed plys.  My plan is to use pretty dark veneer.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #110 on: 17 Jan 2020, 03:50 pm »
The important thing is that it pleases you and yours. I'm certainly jaded. Having been working wood my entire adult life I imagine my view is skewed in ways I don't even recognize.

RonP

« Reply #111 on: 17 Jan 2020, 03:55 pm »
@alan those look really nice as is

alanhuth

« Reply #112 on: 17 Jan 2020, 05:13 pm »
So Peter, do you think your edge banding would work in this situation? 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #113 on: 17 Jan 2020, 05:23 pm »
So Peter, do you think your edge banding would work in this situation?

I think it could be made to work if it was applied prior to finishing. After the finishing would be really delicate work as the stain and topcoat is not near as tough and forgiving as laminate.

Bradlose

Re: X-SLS & X-CS Encore, AV-1RS Build
« Reply #114 on: 6 Feb 2021, 06:57 pm »
Very nice! 🤩🤩

Thanks for the compliments. I did go back and edit my post a little...it was late last night and it showed!

Although I have a great time building stuff like this, there is much pleasure in sharing it as well...both here and ultimately with dear daughter and family. And since I won't be leaving any stacks of cash when I leave this earth, I guess it's my legacy.

I'll post a few more pics as I get the rest completed and perhaps a summation of what I'd do differently next time. I'll be happy to fill in any blanks I've left.

Best of the holidays to everyone.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #115 on: 16 Mar 2021, 06:24 pm »
Danny!
Reading your old posts to Rajesh about the port on the X-SLS

I recently bought the X-LS Encore kit and have not started with the build. Only planning and making waf things.
Can I add length to the port and get it tuned lower?
Plan to build the X-SLS.
If I make some nice stands/feet to the cabinet. Can I place the port in the bottom, firing down?
(Of course will I make the “sandbox” a bit lower to fit the port length.)

Or do you recommend an other port? A slot port firing down? Measurement?
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2021, 10:56 pm by Rikard Ekval »

Danny Richie

« Reply #116 on: 23 Mar 2021, 01:53 pm »
Danny!
Reading your old posts to Rajesh about the port on the X-SLS

I recently bought the X-LS Encore kit and have not started with the build. Only planning and making waf things.
Can I add length to the port and get it tuned lower?
Plan to build the X-SLS.
If I make some nice stands/feet to the cabinet. Can I place the port in the bottom, firing down?
(Of course will I make the “sandbox” a bit lower to fit the port length.)

Or do you recommend an other port? A slot port firing down? Measurement?

Leave port tuning as is to get the lowest tuning and good output.

Donnie Mulligan

« Reply #117 on: 5 Jun 2021, 05:43 pm »
Here are some pictures and youtube links to my Gr Research X-SLS Encore build. Cosmetically they turned out okay, sonically they are amazing. A great Bang for the Buck audiophile quality speaker.

Gr-Research X-SLS Encore Build youtube link:
https://youtu.be/IY-tk1AAxi4

Gr-Research X-SLS Encore Sound Demos youtube link:
https://youtu.be/FfBfNfXfmYs