Dave in Cabo San Lucas

Ric Schultz

Re: Dave in Cabo San Lucas
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2015, 05:22 pm »
Dave,
What happened to the Mundorf silver/gold RCAs?  You now like the regular WBTs better?  or just different? or the Mundorfs are no longer available? or ?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm »
Dave,
What happened to the Mundorf silver/gold RCAs?  You now like the regular WBTs better?  or just different? or the Mundorfs are no longer available? or ?

I appreciate the tone of the Mundorf silver/gold alloy but it's not as good as the OCC alloy made for me by Neotech, so I find the WBT pure silver to be slightly clearer sounding. Also, I prefer the brass body and threads on the WBT 0102 RCA plugs to the plastic body of the Mundorf RCAs. It is a very subtle difference though, I doubt anyone would notice except for the color of the locking barrels and the increased weight of the WBTs. The damping I add probably makes a bigger difference than the change in RCA plugs.

---------------------

Also, if anyone has my D4s and would like the damping material I'm happy to send it to you, just shoot me an email/pm with your shipping address.  :)

Salectric

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2015, 08:12 pm »
Dave, Have you tried any of the KLE RCA plugs?  I recently bought a Siggwan tonearm that came with KLE Copper Harmony plugs.  After breaking in the wiring and plugs for a couple months, I replaced the plugs with KLE Absolute (silver) plugs and was surprised by the degree of improvement. 

I am now curious how the KLE Absolutes might sound on line-level interconnects especially compared to the WBTs and Furutechs.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2015, 10:55 pm »
Hi Salectric, I have not tried the newest KLE plugs but from my experience with older models I think they are comparable in sound quality to the Furutechs that go for the $150 range, as I use on my D2, D3 and DD cables... but I doubt they will be close to the $400/set WBTs and Furutech CF series RCA plugs. The only reason I am not giving the new ones a chance is simply build quality, I'm not super happy with all the plastic... that's one of the reasons I went to WBT 0102 on my D4s. Also, there is enough variance in the diameter of RCA jacks that having a locking RCA plug that fits well on any RCA jack without the potential for being too loose or too tight is a better way to go.

That said, the KLEs are a good choice for DIYers looking a good value and who will be careful with their gear.

Salectric

« Reply #24 on: 28 Mar 2015, 01:04 am »
Understood.  The lightweight plastic housing for the KLE plugs works well with the 33g tonearm leads but I was skeptical about them for a regular interconnect.  Thanks for the reply.