Grado SR-225 headphones

TommyC

Grado SR-225 headphones
« on: 21 Jun 2004, 12:50 am »
Hi all.  I have the chance to buy a set of slightly used but mint condition Grado SR-225 headphones for $100.  Oppinions?  Are these decent quality headphones?  They would be used with a Ear+ Purist HD amp that I am planning to build.

Thanks!

mcrespo71

Grado SR-225 headphones
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2004, 01:01 am »
I was going to ask the same question.  I read in headroom that these are the best headphones for rock and roll.  I'd like to try them.

Michael

BradJudy

Grado SR-225 headphones
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2004, 04:04 am »
That's a great price for a used paid of SR-225s.  I would definitely give them a try if I were you.  Worst case, you can resell them on head-fi for more than you paid.  I enjoyed the SR-80s (I just sold my pair - only because I haven't been using them much lately because of changing listening patterns).  

Opinions vary, but the SR-225 will likely be my next full sized headphone purchase when I get the urge to try something else.

mcrespo71

Grado SR-225 headphones
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2004, 04:26 am »
Oh, I forgot to mention that I own two pairs of headphones (Grado SR60 and Senn HD 580)which I run with my Rega EAR, which BTW is an amazing headphone amp if you listen to good ol rock-n-roll.  The Senn HD 580 is clearly the better headphone than the Grado in all areas except for rhythmic drive.  The Grado is more rhthmically agile and places beats with just the right amount of attack and decay, though it is so much more forward in presentation than the more transparent and laid back sounding Senn that I can't listen to it for long off of my head amp.  On my disc man, the Grado SR60 doesn't have this problem.  Anyway, I'm wondering if the SR225 doesn't have this incredible tunefullness with some of the more refined aspects of the Senn?  That's why I'm so intrigued about it, as a rock n roller.  

Michael

ooheadsoo

Grado SR-225 headphones
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2004, 05:50 am »
Just listened to this can compared with the hp1 at a headphone meet on a balanced gilmore reference headphone amp (solid state, expensive, built like 2 tanks.)  Off the balanced gilmore, the 225's had tons of bass and sheer aggression.  The sound was in your face attack.  Your head was just filled with the sheer size and sound of the music.  Not much of a soundstage to speak of, but that's what they say about most grados.  Some people prefer it that way.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to try it with any of the tube amps, but if that's what you're looking for, grab it!  It's a really fantastic price for the headphones.

(I preferred the hp1's but, they do cost significantly more :p  They sounded almost nothing alike, btw.)

elnero

Grado SR-225 headphones
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2004, 07:45 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Oh, I forgot to mention that I own two pairs of headphones (Grado SR60 and Senn HD 580)which I run with my Rega EAR, which BTW is an amazing headphone amp if you listen to good ol rock-n-roll.  The Senn HD 580 is clearly the better headphone than the Grado in all areas except for rhythmic drive.  The Grado is more rhthmically agile and places beats with just the right amount of attack and decay, though it is so much more forward in presentation than the more transparent and laid back sounding Senn that I ca ...
That's not really a fair comparison. The SR60's are the bottom of the Grado lineup while the HD580's are one of Sennheisers top of the line.

superjohnny

Grado SR-225 headphones
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2004, 06:53 am »
Quote from: elnero
That's not really a fair comparison. The SR60's are the bottom of the Grado lineup while the HD580's are one of Sennheisers top of the line.

The SR60's are a very capable headphone in their own right.  I'm ok with his comparison because he's talking about the sonic signature of each phone.  I own both the SR60's & 225's which I bought with the proceeds from the sale of my HD600's.  The 225's are an improvement in sound over the 60's in every way, but they share the same sonic signature.  They're both detailed & forward where the HD600's are detailed, but much more laid back.

For $100 the SR225's are a no-brainer.  If you like the SR60 things only get better with the 225's.  They are just so much more refined all around and detailed in the low end.