Connecting subs in an HT/Music system`

basstwo

Connecting subs in an HT/Music system`
« on: 17 Jan 2005, 09:51 am »
I read the posts regarding connecting up dual subwoofers and am wondering if anyone has similar experience to me on connecting just one sub.

I've been connecting the sub to the LFE output of the AV amp (Pioneer AX5i) but on most sources TV, Cable, etc, I tend to listen through via 2ch channel stereo rather and using a surround format.  I use bookselves for the Front L/R channels and they don't go very low and thus the sub is bascially only used when I watch movies on 5.1

Recently, I experimented with connecting the sub with the front L/R pre-out of the AV amp and selecting NO to the sub connection.  I now have fuller range front stereo channels to cater for the sources on TV, Cable, etc.

However I am essentially running a 5.0 system for movies.  Does this mean it's deficient in some way?  Am I missing any information that normally only passes through the LFE channel?

I somehow feel this is a better set up (I still seem to get all the slam when watching the movies) but would like to know more.  My pioneer has the auto setup function (MCACC), and I will probably need to redo the setup.  But will the MCACC work properly?