Bookshelf loudspeakers to go with our amps.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Bookshelf loudspeakers to go with our amps.
« on: 6 Dec 2013, 04:48 pm »
Hi guys,

Looking for a little help. I want to recommend some genuine bookshelf speakers to go with a Sonneteer integrated amplifier. Any suggestions?

Haider

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Bookshelf loudspeakers to go with our amps.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2013, 05:19 pm »
Have a look at the Vapor Breeze.

http://www.vaporsound.com/speakers/breeze/

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2013, 10:24 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion. These particular ones look a little big for a shelf mount though.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Quiet Earth

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2013, 11:07 pm »
My favorite bookshelf speaker is the Audio Note K. It is happy on a stand or sitting on a shelf. A sealed cabinet that is 90dB efficient, and an easy load.  You can get it in a wide variety of wood finishes too.

Check it out here http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/an-k_01.shtml

A little more info in the manual ...  http://www.audionote.co.uk/downloads/manuals/AN-K%20manual%20smaller.pdf

srb

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2013, 11:50 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion. These particular ones look a little big for a shelf mount though.

The Vapor Breeze is 14H" X 8"W X 10.5"D

The Audio Note AN-K is 18"H X 10.8"W X 7.5"D, even taller and wider, but less deep.

Why don't you tell us what the maximum HWD dimensions are so relevant recommendations can be made?

Steve

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2013, 04:58 pm »
The Vapor Breeze is 14H" X 8"W X 10.5"D

The Audio Note AN-K is 18"H X 10.8"W X 7.5"D, even taller and wider, but less deep.

Why don't you tell us what the maximum HWD dimensions are so relevant recommendations can be made?

Steve

Thanks for that,

I'd say no more than 30cm height and 20cm depth. Also need to accommodate speaker terminals and cables coming out of the back. Are there any clever solutions for this?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

srb

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2013, 05:16 pm »
You would probably be best served with a front ported or sealed speaker.  When speakers are that compact you have to give up low frequency response, sensitivity or some of both.  Most small bookshelf speakers make the greatest compromise to lower sensitivity.

I assume you want very high quality speakers to match your amplifier(s).  One very nice compact speaker is the Salk Sound WOW1 mini-monitor.  It is front ported and has a Seas Excel W12 woofer and a Hiquphon OW1 tweeter.  The height is 10-3/4" (27cm) and depth is 9" (23cm), which is a bit deeper than your 20cm spec.

The sensitivity is quite low, 83dB, so it would depend on the loudness level you would listen at and the size of the space you are trying to fill.

I assume the binding posts are installed in a flat plate and stick out even further, but because Salk Sound can do custom work, you might be able to specify either a recessed binding post cup or the HWD dimensions could be altered to give the same interior volume, or perhaps both.

Steve

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2013, 05:44 pm »
The Harbeth P3ESR is truly a bookshelf and truly excellent. The larger 30.1 just got a Golden Ear Award from The Absolute Sound and were sounding very very good at the Capital Audio Fest this year.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php?section=products&page=introducingourspeakers

Quiet Earth

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2013, 08:07 pm »
The K can be placed on its side (see the manual), and meets the size criteria that way. I think the K is a true bookshelf speaker in the sense that it is designed to be placed tightly up against the wall and also because it works well with close proximity to boundaries.

There are probably a lot more wall friendly monitor type speakers that work on their side too. Most are deeper than wide though. Something to think about anyway.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2013, 08:18 pm »
The Harbeth P3ESR is truly a bookshelf and truly excellent. The larger 30.1 just got a Golden Ear Award from The Absolute Sound and were sounding very very good at the Capital Audio Fest this year.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php?section=products&page=introducingourspeakers

Thanks. These indeed, in principle, seem to be a good prospect. They made just down the road from us so I might give them a call. I remember now they did promise me an audition a while back for when start to rebuild my home studio. Shame all small speakers have to be so inefficient but the 6 Ohm load makes up for it with our amps as we have plenty of current reserve.

I think the binding post issue is always going to be out there if we want to use decent cables, connectors and so on. Might inspire someone to come up with a clever solution. If not already done of course.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2013, 08:25 pm »
The K can be placed on its side (see the manual), and meets the size criteria that way. I think the K is a true bookshelf speaker in the sense that it is designed to be placed tightly up against the wall and also because it works well with close proximity to boundaries.

There are probably a lot more wall friendly monitor type speakers that work on their side too. Most are deeper than wide though. Something to think about anyway.

Thank you. Yes that is definitely worth looking into then. I was sure that many(who more expertly than me in this field) have considered this issue and have presented solutions.  I appreciate there is always a compromise. I think someone did once say (or write) that, engineering is the art of compromise.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk