Poll

What Genres Do You Still Listen

Early Electronic (krautrock, new age, etc.)
9 (5.2%)
Jazz
20 (11.6%)
Symphony/orchestra
15 (8.7%)
Pop Hits (50's to 2005)
15 (8.7%)
Modern Pop (2005 to Present)
6 (3.5%)
Hard Rock/Heavy Metal
19 (11%)
Country
13 (7.5%)
Blues/Blues Rock
21 (12.1%)
World Music
11 (6.4%)
Other
13 (7.5%)
Electronic Dance, Trance, etc.
8 (4.6%)
Rap
5 (2.9%)
Folk
5 (2.9%)
Reggae
2 (1.2%)
Bluegrass
6 (3.5%)
Funk/Soul
5 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: 29 Jun 2022, 06:25 pm

Who Still Listens to That

Mag

Who Still Listens to That
« on: 15 Jun 2022, 06:25 pm »
  Listening last night to my playlist a Tangerine Dream song came in random rotation. Compared to Trance what I listen to now, the music seems ancient. So it got me to thinking what do other audiophiles/music lovers still listen to.

So vote for your genres, you can pick more than one.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Who Still Listens to That
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2022, 08:46 pm »
If you use Roon, one cool feature is that it will show you some very interesting listening stats.  From my home screen:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2022, 11:05 pm »
Interesting topic, from the genres listed I selected:
Jazz
Symphony/orchestra
Pop Hits (50's to 2005)
Country
Blues/Blues Rock
World Music
I may listen Pop Hits til the 70/80 not to 2005, Iam not picky I dont even want beautiful songs, just think that music has to have refinement, otherwise there is no way to listen to it.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2022, 12:36 am by FullRangeMan »

Delta77

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2022, 11:36 pm »
You didn’t list Reggae..
There are different types of reggae, much like country..
I listen most to Reggae, some of the old familiar stuff (Marley, Gregory, Eek a mouse)..
But its the newer Cali style, Hawaiian style reggae that’s got my attention/time..
It’s new music to me, not the same old songs I’ve heard before..
(StickFigure, Rebelution, Hirie, Iration, Ect)..

Coming from listening to popular rock most my life from (Metallica, Ozzy, Black Sabbath)  to (Billy Joel, Supertramp, Elton John)..

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2022, 12:01 am »
I guess you could also include Funk/Soul as a genre.  I listen to a lot of Funkadelic, Parliament, Ohio Players, Mandrill, etc.  I'm not sure if they fit under any of the listed genres.

whell

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2022, 12:05 am »
Folk and/or folk rock might have been another interesting category to poll.

deadhead

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2022, 12:28 am »
Bluegrass needs a category and the Grateful Dead needs one too!

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2022, 06:53 am »
Interesting topic, from the genres listed I selected:
Jazz
Symphony/orchestra
Pop Hits (50's to 2005)
Country
Blues/Blues Rock
World Music
I may listen Pop Hits til the 70/80 not to 2005, Iam not picky I dont even want beautiful songs, just think that music has to have refinement, otherwise there is no way to listen to it.

I selected 2005 for Pop Hits because as I recall when I viewed a Pop Chart there were a few Artists that I recognized like Madona that were on the list. After 2005 I didn't recognize any of the Artists names. :smoke:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2022, 08:50 am »
I mentioned that I listen to pop music until the 80s, because from the 1990s on the music became medriocre, even the Tangerine Dream in the 1990s became a Genesis (Pop) with the awful Lily on The Beach released Oct1989.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2022, 11:49 am »
Where is the Alternative and Grunge button?  :scratch:

mav52

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2022, 12:08 pm »
Classic Rock
Jazz
Smooth/Fusion Jazz
Blues
Blues Rock
Music Scores
Bluegrass

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2022, 06:27 pm »
I mentioned that I listen to pop music until the 80s, because from the 1990s on the music became medriocre, even the Tangerine Dream in the 1990s became a Genesis (Pop) with the awful Lily on The Beach released Oct1989.

I have that album Lily On the Beach, I seemed to recall I liked it, will give it a listen again. I like Livemiles and Architecture in Motion. And I like White Eagle which IMO is the best analog synth creation ever which was a earlier release and I still listen to Poland. Miracle Mile I also listen too and Dolphin Dance from Underwater Sunlight. I agree though they did release some boring stuff.

I use to have the whole vinyl collection of their early years but I gave that away to my friend since I rarely listen to vinyl. Let's see I also like Le Parc, Tyger, Stratosfear, Logos, Encore. I also listen to Live in Lisbon a lot which is sort of a montage of their work, snippets of themes from their albums.

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2022, 06:24 pm »
   Listened to Lily on the Beach last night and I have to agree with you. Not one of their better work.
  Give it a 2 out of 5.

Digi-G

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2022, 08:01 pm »
I'll admit that I don't listen to a lot of different genres.

Rock
Classic Rock
Country
R&B
Some prog
Pop Hits

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2022, 11:12 pm »
   Listened to Lily on the Beach last night and I have to agree with you. Not one of their better work.
  Give it a 2 out of 5.
For quality German Prog Rock try Kluster, Cluster, Harmonia (same band), they are everything Kraftwerk could not be.
They were mostly a duo a long the years with Dieter Moebius and Hans Joachim Roedelius but have some albums with guests as Eno, Michael Rother, Conny Plank and others.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2022, 02:46 am by FullRangeMan »

simoon

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2022, 04:40 pm »
I missed the poll end date, but I will add my input.

From the choices listed, I'd go with:

Jazz
Symphony/orchestra

But I'd also add, prog, which was not on the poll.

My listening percentage is probably something like this:

35% prog (avant-prog, Caturbery, Zeuhl, classic prog, prog-metal)
35% classical (atonal, dissonant, serial, avant-garde, spectralism; I don't like anything earlier than about 1925, and mostly from after 1950))
30% jazz (post bop, fusion, avant-garde, chamber-jazz, metal-fusion)

My tastes tend to gravitate towards music that has the following attributes (in no particular order): very high level of musicianship, complexity, deep and broad emotional and/or intellectual content, (usually) long form pieces, avoidance of verse>chorus>bridge>repeat song format, avoidance of an obvious 'hook'.

I also tend to like some music that my require a bit of 'work' or challenge to get into (avant-garde, atonal, dissonant classical, and some avant-garde jazz, avant-garde prog), because music of that sort usually creates extra strong emotions, and a sense of catharsis.

Music that does not have most or all of the above attributes bores me. And it's not like I made a conscious decision to only like music with those attributes, I just noticed that, over the years, I found myself listening to more and more music that does have those attributes, and less and less music that does not.

As a side note, I have very little feelings of nostalgia connected with music. So, even though I listen to some music from my youth, it has nothing to do with reminding me of my youth, it is 100% based on those attributes I listed above.

Mag

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2022, 11:38 pm »
I missed the poll end date, but I will add my input.

From the choices listed, I'd go with:

Jazz
Symphony/orchestra

But I'd also add, prog, which was not on the poll.

My listening percentage is probably something like this:

35% prog (avant-prog, Caturbery, Zeuhl, classic prog, prog-metal)
35% classical (atonal, dissonant, serial, avant-garde, spectralism; I don't like anything earlier than about 1925, and mostly from after 1950))
30% jazz (post bop, fusion, avant-garde, chamber-jazz, metal-fusion)

My tastes tend to gravitate towards music that has the following attributes (in no particular order): very high level of musicianship, complexity, deep and broad emotional and/or intellectual content, (usually) long form pieces, avoidance of verse>chorus>bridge>repeat song format, avoidance of an obvious 'hook'.

I also tend to like some music that my require a bit of 'work' or challenge to get into (avant-garde, atonal, dissonant classical, and some avant-garde jazz, avant-garde prog), because music of that sort usually creates extra strong emotions, and a sense of catharsis.

Music that does not have most or all of the above attributes bores me. And it's not like I made a conscious decision to only like music with those attributes, I just noticed that, over the years, I found myself listening to more and more music that does have those attributes, and less and less music that does not.

As a side note, I have very little feelings of nostalgia connected with music. So, even though I listen to some music from my youth, it has nothing to do with reminding me of my youth, it is 100% based on those attributes I listed above.

I like how you are able to succinctly describe what you listen for in music. I don't think I have the ability to put in words what it is I like in music. I do think my taste in music was influenced by my early childhood years being that my dad played the button accordion and played with his brothers whenever our families got together and classic Country songs mom played when I was still wearing diapers.

Basically what I like in music I can apply to any genre of music, if it has these elements or content I'll probably like the song. I listen for song structure (how well it was put together) execution or performance of the song. And I tend to like a song if it also sounds great on my stereo.

Here's a song that I've been hooked on for the last couple of months. IMO it is beautifully constructed with a great performance.

No Doubt- Don't Speak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3Vdo5etCQ&ab_channel=NoDoubtVEVO

Lemmy is god

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2023, 10:23 pm »
Blues
Punk
Rock n roll
Heavy metal

Some acoustic, like Donovan,Dylan,eagles,darkest era,James Taylor,kayak, heck,
Only music I don’t hear is the rap,stuff post 1997.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2023, 02:43 am »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2023, 03:36 pm »
Easier to list what I don’t listen to much. Classical and Country.
Favorites are Psychedelic and Progressive