Tube Storage Options - Advice Requested

wdlvwdlv

Tube Storage Options - Advice Requested
« on: 26 Apr 2022, 08:53 pm »
Hello,

I am still new to "tubing" but am finally amassing a modest collection of tubes. What I need help with is how to properly store these for safe keeping. What do you all do for storage? I've been some cases online but I believe they were from an era when tubes were so plentiful that they were stored loose in a case. I'm thinking possibly something that can be transportable would be nice, but I'm really open to hearing any options really.

Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tube Storage Options - Advice Requested
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2022, 10:33 pm »
Transportable are inside a case or bag.
Paper boxes and pins are vulnerable to humidity and sunlight.
To storage in a room would be interesting a environment dehumidifier and fungi (ozone).

jules

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2022, 09:20 am »
Ideally, an airtight container with a desiccant like silica gel to keep the moisture level at near zero.

Why do you appear to have so many empty boxes?

rlee8394

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2022, 03:44 pm »
A tackle box works well.

wdlvwdlv

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2022, 05:46 pm »
Ideally, an airtight container with a desiccant like silica gel to keep the moisture level at near zero.

Why do you appear to have so many empty boxes?

Thank you that is an excellent suggestion. Also, thank you to the other members who responded.

I also saw some photographers cases that had protective foam (that could be custom cut or had sections that could be removed, that's kind of where I was leaning towards.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2022, 01:18 am »
Regular desiccant silica takes about 6 months to moisture saturate according the local humidity, after it has to be heated at 180°C for a few hours.

Silica gel can not be recycled after saturating its waste.

jules

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2022, 02:25 am »
Not sure what you're saying FRM, seems to contradict itself. Silica gel can be recycled, though with colourless silica gel it's impossible to know when it's saturated.

If you can get hold of colour changing silica gel, it's easy to see when it's saturated. Blue when dry, pink when wet. This also helps when you're drying it out in an oven. Take care not to inhale dust from it though.

The better you can seal the storage unit, the longer the gel will last before needing to be dried out. Hermetically sealed is possible and certainly the best option. In theory at least, if it's totally airtight/sealed the gel would last forever, unsaturated.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2022, 03:38 am »
Not sure what you're saying FRM, seems to contradict itself. Silica gel can be recycled, though with colourless silica gel it's impossible to know when it's saturated.

If you can get hold of colour changing silica gel, it's easy to see when it's saturated. Blue when dry, pink when wet. This also helps when you're drying it out in an oven. Take care not to inhale dust from it though.

The better you can seal the storage unit, the longer the gel will last before needing to be dried out. Hermetically sealed is possible and certainly the best option. In theory at least, if it's totally airtight/sealed the gel would last forever, unsaturated.
I already read it before, was Perfect Sound Forever.
I could not heat up silica gel, it melts and causes a huge burning smell alerting wife. Do you really believe they would sell to the public something that would last forever ?

it's impossible to know when it's saturated.
When regular silica is saturated its gets humid, kind of obvious.
I dont use silica gel, expensive and perform poor.

jules

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2022, 02:23 am »
I could not heat up silica gel, it melts and causes a huge burning smell alerting wife. Do you really believe they would sell to the public something that would last forever ?

Ha yes, I'm with you on the idea that stuff isn't made to last.

I haven't tried the sort of silica gel you get with pretty much anything you buy, but I have a kilo or so of lab reagant grade blue/pink silica gel and I've successfully dried it out a number of times in the stove, on a baking tray. I didn't take too much notice of the temp. I used but maybe it's best to keep it low if silica gel has a low melting point.

edit: some googling suggests a max temp of 120C for drying blue/pink silica gel dessicant.

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2022, 05:21 am by jules »