BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

GrooveControl

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1280 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:01 am »
Hi All! I’m a Huge Bryston fan and recently purchased a BDA-3.14 to replace my DIY streamer and inferior preamp.
Was wondering if any of you were using the BHA-1 as a preamp, as well as a headphone amp, to drive your power amp.  If so, how is that working out? Please state your system components when replying.

Thanks!

I used the BHA-1 as a preamp for over a year.  I had the -12db gain reduction done to it, as running balanced lines into a #3Bsst it was just too hot.  The sound was excellent, no complaints there, but I finally gave in and went for a preamp with remote control capability.  The replacement preamp is the SP1.7 which I run in 2 channel mode exclusively. 

In addition to the lack of remote control capabilities , the other thing I don't like about the BHA-1 is the volume control. It's sensitive before 3:00 and again after 9:00 but does next to nothing between those positions.  I inquired into changing the volume pot but Mike said that only one works in that unit.  Small thing, but I thought I would mention it. 

So my SP1.7 is connected to both the BHA-1 and 3Bsst, and I turn on one amp or the other as needed. The BHA-1 just sits there at max volume and I control the volume with the SP1.7. Really wish the SP1.7 had headphone output so I could have reduced component count.  Oh well, may someday a BP17. 

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1281 on: 14 Oct 2021, 02:06 am »
Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate your input.
I’m still not clear about this: When using the unit as a preamp to drive your speakers, does the feed to the power amp get muted when you plug the headphones in? Can’t find anything on line to clarify one way or another!
Sorry if it’s a dumb question, just wanted to clarity this before spending more than I can afford! 😝

GrooveControl

« Reply #1282 on: 14 Oct 2021, 03:32 am »
Go back one page. There was a reply before mine that speaks to this. 

rob80b

« Reply #1283 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:05 pm »
I used the BHA-1 as a preamp for over a year.  I had the -12db gain reduction done to it, as running balanced lines into a #3Bsst it was just too hot.  ............

Curious if you had the gain reduction done prior to using it as a pre, if I remember correctly the wonky gain on the BHA-1 when I was using it as a pre performed more linear for its full rotation, this was with the 4BSST and a 2B LP pro, much like the BP25 before it.

rob80b

« Reply #1284 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:05 pm »

ditto.  8)

GrooveControl

« Reply #1285 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:45 pm »
Curious if you had the gain reduction done prior to using it as a pre, if I remember correctly the wonky gain on the BHA-1 when I was using it as a pre performed more linear for its full rotation, this was with the 4BSST and a 2B LP pro, much like the BP25 before it.

I didn't need the gain reduction for my headphones. It was only after connecting it to the 3B.  The output from the speakers with volume at the 9:00 position was not what one would expect, and that was with the gain switch down on the 3B.

If it wasn't for lack of remote control capability I could easily have lived with the BHA-1 as a preamp.  3 inputs are all I need, and the sound is fantastic.

rob80b

« Reply #1286 on: 14 Oct 2021, 03:15 pm »
I didn't need the gain reduction for my headphones. It was only after connecting it to the 3B.  The output from the speakers with volume at the 9:00 position was not what one would expect, and that was with the gain switch down on the 3B.

If it wasn't for lack of remote control capability I could easily have lived with the BHA-1 as a preamp.  3 inputs are all I need, and the sound is fantastic.

Guess it all depends on listening habits and the speaker's sensitivity, my Dyns are at 87dB and usually moderately loud listening levels otherwise, if I need to lower the volume its headphones for me.  :D

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1287 on: 18 Oct 2021, 01:30 am »

Thanks! Missed that 🙃

Twiga

« Reply #1288 on: 19 Oct 2021, 03:47 am »
This is in reference to Leong's earlier post suggesting a method of using the volume control in the BDA3 to remotely control the volume to headphones via the BHA-1. I remember that the MM used to have a digital volume control, but we were advised that using it to diminish volume would reduce the bit-depth of the sound. Is that also true when using the digital volume control in the BDA3 to remotely adjust BHA-1 volume level?  :scratch:

R. Daneel

« Reply #1289 on: 20 Oct 2021, 04:52 pm »
This is in reference to Leong's earlier post suggesting a method of using the volume control in the BDA3 to remotely control the volume to headphones via the BHA-1. I remember that the MM used to have a digital volume control, but we were advised that using it to diminish volume would reduce the bit-depth of the sound. Is that also true when using the digital volume control in the BDA3 to remotely adjust BHA-1 volume level?  :scratch:

As far as I know, yes. However, the loss of bits might not be as severe as most people think. The AKM DAC is a 32 bit architecture and given the practical dynamic range of 21 bits of most DACs, you still have 11 bits 'extra' which translates to rozghtly 66 dB. That means you can reduce the level by 66 dB before noticing any loss of quality and at that level, you probably wouldn't be able to notice it anyway. That being said, I really dislike digital volume controls. All arguments aside, one is for certain - one wrong tap on the tablet and your headphones are on fire.

saarnold

« Reply #1290 on: 15 Dec 2021, 12:34 pm »
Does anyone know if the HP amp in the BA20 is as good or better than the BHA -1
As this will effect my future upgrade path:
Sticking with my BP17 cubed and adding the BHA 1 and BDA 3 or upgrading to the BA20
Your thought would be appreciated as this is an expensive hobby so I would like to get it right, at this level of components.
Either way I am sure either path is going to sound amazing.
I currently use the integrated HP amp in the BP17 cubed for my Audeze LCDX(2021) and HD 600 which sound fantastic, but this is a temporary measure which I am very happy with until funds allow.

KeithA

« Reply #1291 on: 1 Feb 2022, 12:25 pm »
Thanks James. I'm actually ordering one via Solen today. If this transaction runs smoothly I'll likely go through them as I refresh a few Bryston pieces over the year (BDP, BDA, etc.)
Oh, and congrats on the new venture with the Mothership  8)
Well, I actually did get a BHA-1 last Summer but due to being busy with housing renovations never got a set of headphones until last week. Ended up with the Arya Stealths and I'm liking the headphone set up, for sure. I'm sure I'll replace the Logitech Transporter eventually but right now it's working fine due to the support of the Open Source Code by other users.

rob80b

« Reply #1292 on: 1 May 2022, 04:13 pm »

With family still studying and working from home thought it was time to invest in a descent closed back headphone...and the AKG K872 are working out to be just the ticket...not only a great tool for professionals but IMHO also quite musical. They're only 36-Ohm but the the BHA-1 drives them perfectly, for a closed back phone staging is excellent and with every detail in the recording revealed layering is very distinct, maybe the best I've experienced, pristine highs and more than adequate tightly defined base with lots of body...nice alternative to the Sennheiser HD800S when I need to block out outside interference. Some may ask why not Sennheiser's own HD820, IMHO it diverges too much from the open back counterpart but the AKG K872s quite resemble, not only visually but sound wise to their opened back twin the K812s, which I also really like and find they actual improve on them in some areas, base and treble to be exact.

« Last Edit: 1 May 2022, 06:34 pm by rob80b »

rob80b

« Reply #1293 on: 3 May 2022, 04:41 pm »
This month marks the 10th Anniversary on the BHA-1 launch. Congrats.  :beer:

Hi Folks,

FINALLY :duh: - first 6 Bryston Headphone Amps on the Burn-in bench.

james

bcugk

« Reply #1294 on: 4 May 2022, 03:41 pm »
my loss for not getting one when they were "underpriced"

the used prices now are more than they sold new the first few years.

rob80b

« Reply #1295 on: 8 May 2022, 04:45 pm »
my loss for not getting one when they were "underpriced"

the used prices now are more than they sold new the first few years.
True...but not just Bryston... prices have almost doubled on everything.....
There's one currently available over at Head-fi at a relative affordable price...might be still available.
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/bryston-bha-1.23415/

R. Daneel

« Reply #1296 on: 12 May 2022, 05:36 pm »
I must say, the Bryston BHA-1 is the best headphone amplifier I have ever heard and I’ve heard a lot of them. I bought mine in 2012, right after Bryston introduced the “revised” version with balanced preamp outputs which, I believe, was done starting with the unit S/N 301. The price then was 1300 € and was about to be increased to 1400 € because of this added feature but because I bought mine so early, the Vienna distributor was able to sell the revised version at the “old” price. Even though this was really generous, I was still on the fence because, hey, 1300 € was a lot of money and still is! But looking at the prices now, I think I got an absolute bargain!!

Sonically, it’s quintessential Bryston, I think – clear like a bell, powerful yet nuanced, with a great talent for serious excitement.

But, one the most fascinating things about it is the way this understated simplicity works with ANY headphone. I once connected a Grado SR-60i (Grado’s entry-level model) to it and ended up listening to it for several days. I could not believe it could sound so good!

I also own a BDP-2 player and a BDA-2 D/A convertor and really do consider this to be a system. The BHA-1 is very revealing of partnering equipment and to me, there’s really something special about this combination.

A very, very nice amplifier. Here's to ten more years!
Cheers,
Antun

Moonchild83

« Reply #1297 on: 21 May 2022, 04:24 pm »
Hello,
I am joining the club of BHA-1 amplifier owners :)      Got it new this week, only 20 hours of burning so far.  I could listen to music 24/24 with this Amp + Grado GS1000I   but I am afraid my companion will ask me to leave the place ....  I am really impressed, magnifiscent piece of art. All instruments are so realistics.
Jean Marc from South of France.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1298 on: 22 May 2022, 04:59 am »
Thanks for the kind comments Jean Marc - ENJOY!

james

vlach

« Reply #1299 on: 3 Jun 2022, 09:58 pm »
Hello,

I'm a new member on this forum and a BHA-1 enthusiast!

Is anyone using the BHA-1 as a preamp driving a power amp through the balanced outputs? I would like to try this, however my amp only has SE inputs.

I should be able to use XLR to RCA cables to make it work right? Just wondering how this set up is working for anyone using it.

Thank you.