I just did the unthinkable!!!!

sdk

« on: 15 Apr 2004, 02:48 am »
I set up my Royal Virtuosos with the tweeter on the inside! OH MY GOD!!! I can't believe how much better it sounds. We're not talking subtle here, folks. This is a huge difference. I have a very small listening room (11 x 13) and I've been somewhat bugged by a lack of focus in the imagining. In every other respect, I love the sound of the system. But with this change, I've got it all. I know you're not supposed to do this, but what can I say? It sounds soooo much better. I'm getting razor sharp focus now and the soundsage is even wider than it was before.  Chalk one up for experimentation!

Maybe this puts the tweeters farther from the side walls so there's less side reflections. I really don't know and I don't care because the sound is so awesome now I can't believe it. If you have a small room and you've not been getting the focus and palpability you want, try reversing the speakers.

Ravi

« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:23 am »
As a previous owner of the Ellis 1801s that also offset the tweeter, the whole point was to have the tweeters on the inside.  I'm surprised this is a no-no for the Refs, because this is the only way that makes sense acoustically.  Without it, you totally screw up the center image because of extra baffle reflections.

Smeggy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2004, 06:16 am »
I think the tweeter on the outside may be more to do with phase aligning the tweeter to the other driver than anything sound specific. When reversed the tweeter is probably a lot closer to the listener causing what the manufacturer would call an 'error'.  That's my guess anyway.

davejcb

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2004, 06:01 am »
Weird. I just received my Royal Masters, and set them up with the tweeter on the inside accidentally.

I just changed to outside, and everything is better, by a lot.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2004, 05:12 pm »
Quote from: Smeggy
I think the tweeter on the outside may be more to do with phase aligning the tweeter to the other driver than anything sound specific. When reversed the tweeter is probably a lot closer to the listener causing what the manufacturer would call an 'error'.  That's my guess anyway.

The tweeters are on the outside for time alignment as the degree slant of the baffle doesn't perfectly align them timewise (is that how you say it?).  So the offset tweeter makes up the difference.

SDK you should read the post from Jonathan about the software he found which helped him set up his virtuosos in a position he liked better.  His post is under the title "I know nothing about anything".

By the way, SDK, do you have your speakers set against the 11' wall or the 13' wall?  If it is possible in your room, try putting them against the wider wall so the early reflections from the speakers don't pose as big a problem.  This will put you more in a nearfield listening position which would be good in that small of room.

Small rooms tend to mess with the sound I think in a way that blurs the images and delineation more.  Sitting in the nearfield can help to alleviate some of this.  Maybe try some sound absorbing and diffusing panels on the walls nearest your speakers and if you can on the ceiling too.  

Cheers.

sdk

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2004, 01:52 pm »
Quote from: heavystarch
The tweeters are on the outside for time alignment as the degree slant of the baffle doesn't perfectly align them timewise (is that how you say it?).  So the offset tweeter makes up the difference.

SDK you should read the post from Jonathan about the software he found which helped him set up his virtuosos in a position he liked better.  His post is under the title "I know nothing about anything".

By the way, SDK, do you have your speakers set against the 11' wall  ...

Yea, I have that software. It basically configures your set-up for nearfield listening vis-a-vis the methods recommended by Cardas and Audio Physics. I'm certainly a fan of nearfield listening as it eliminates to a greater degree the room interactions from reflected sound waves. I agree with you in that most of the time you want to set your speakers on the long wall, but with a really small room that's all but impossible. If I did that the speakers would be about 5.5 feet from the back wall in a space that is only 11 feet deep. My actual listening positioning is then only a few feet from the speakers so it become ultra nearfield - they're just way too close. Plus it looks like hell in the room. I'm actually getting very good imaging in terms of depth and width of soundstage with the set-up I have. I'm just trying to optimize the soundstage to get better focus. The RVs are not the easiest speakers to place - not compared to something like an LS3/5A where you get unbelievable holographic imaging and focus with a lot less work. Of course, the LS3/5A aren't anywhere near as transparent as the RVs so the tradeoff isn't worth it.