Pictures of my new Royal Masters

davejcb

« on: 1 Jun 2004, 07:06 am »
Well, I haven't seen any pictures of these other than the lame one on the Reference 3A website kicking around, so I thought I'd post a few... There's also my Decware amps and my dump of a room included. :D

Picking up my 27" Osiris stands in a couple of days, then the room gets painted, new couch, traps in corners, foam on walls, and speakers placed properly.

I can't believe how good these things already sound on the floor.

Enjoy!

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2004, 04:59 pm »
Nice shots, Dave!!!  Thanks for sharing!

Michael

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2004, 10:58 pm »
Oh, Dave, for your first major upgrade- I suggest a maid!!!  Man, that's a dirty room! :lol:

Michael

davejcb

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2004, 03:35 am »
:mrgreen:

You can't see it in there, but I'm a car guy too, I actually have cylinder heads and a turbo on the floor (on a blanket). My friends think I'm nuts, what's amazing is my girlfriend doesn't mind!

I actually spent all day taking everything apart, getting ready to paint, and calling suppliers for fiberglass sources. Should be fun once it's all said and done.

Smeggy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2004, 05:57 am »
LOL, looks like laundry day is taking a back seat with the arrival of the new babies  :lol: Look very nice.

melville

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2004, 02:05 am »
Hi Dave.  I like the look of those Royal Masters.  The Corian is interesting, and very inert, but not as dressed-up looking as piano black.  I currently have my Virtuosos on 24" Atlantis Reference stands.  I want to get higher ones, probably from Skylan.  What made you decide on 27 inches?  Also, how do the Decware amps do with the 3as?  I would expect that you encounter clipping occasionally.  From my experience with the Signature Monoblocks, clipping occurred only with certain types of music, and the sound was excellent up to that point (and on everything else). Interestingly, the monos were not as delicate and transparent as the Select that I had for a few months.  With the right speakers, that one must be sublime.

davejcb

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2004, 07:39 am »
Those are actually the Piano Black finish, believe it or not. Still very heavy, very dead sounding if you knock on them, my friend couldn't believe how heavy they were for their size.

The gentleman I bought them from also sold me the Osiris 27" stands, which he had been using, and I had read from Tash that this was recommended for these speakers, which the seller confirmed to me.

So far the Decwares are excellent, haven't even gone past half-volume. Keep in mind the speakers are still on the floor, I'm trying to make time to go down to NY to pick up the stands. I can't really comment as far as soundstage and imaging, but the system sounds very natural, percussion is very nice, I love the decays on pianos and others... Brass instruments could have more body to them, but keep in mind I don't have a decent DAC yet, getting an Ack! dAck soon.

At first I wasn't sure I would be happy with the bass from the amps, but that's changing. Again, they're on the floor, so... Volume doesn't seem to be an issue, I listen mosly to rock, jazz and big band, not much orchestral, but I'd like to change that. The one track off the Godzilla soundtrack (was going through albums, lameass recording) definitely showed me that for this type of music I would need more guts. But for playing Miles Davis or The Doors, the transparency and delicacy of the Select Zens really shines.

So basically I'm treating the room, getting a DAC, placing the speakers properly, then I'll make a decision on the amps.

melville

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2004, 03:12 pm »
Just to clarify, I have the Corian (not clear in my other message).  When I had the Decware amps, I pretty much expected clipping on full-scale orchestral music, or soundtracks like Gladiator or Glory; but I found the amp's problems with female soprano frustrating.  On all other types of music, I listened at everything up to 'lease-busting' volume (quite impressive for 3.8w/ch).  With the Carrisa, I can now listen to Sarah Brightman or Kathleen Battle, for example, at realistic volumes with no evidence of strain or distortion.  I find the Carrisa generally better than the Signature Monoblocks in all areas that I deem important.  I can not say the same for the Select.  Even though it was almost a year ago, I distinctly remember a delicacy and transparency that I hadn't heard before, or since...and the soundstage - deep, wide, tall, definitely better than I have now.

I am ordering 27" Skylan stands with 11"X12" top plates.

davejcb

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2004, 03:34 pm »
:oops:

My bad, I had read that wrong...

Wow! So your Select sounded better than the Carissa? I'm surprised, I had read very good things about that amp. I guess I should stick with them if the volume is adequate and I don't clip them often.

I have listened to Sarah McLaughlin, actually, and had no problems. Not exactly a soprano or anything, but it was very nice.