VPI "revision b"

Sonny

Re: VPI "revision b"
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:29 pm »
I use a similar product called Flitz and it cleans (and polishes) the same way, with a bunch of black residue left on the polish cloth.

I was just thinking that there are lots of motorcycle shops that have lots of stuff chromed. It might not be as bad as you might think for price. Someone out there has to do it for these small custom shops.

Wayner
Wayner, there must be, but first I need to build or buy a shelf that can level, sell of my remaining stuff from the TNT table and sell of other stuff!

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:31 pm »
 :drool:

Sonny

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:37 pm »
:drool:

I am a lucky audiophile....thanks BILL!

rrohrich

« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:53 pm »
Outstanding work Bill.

Sandy Kosman would be proud.

Rich

Berndt

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2011, 08:04 pm »
BTW, no computers were harmed in the creation of this tt. All manual, all analog... :thumb:

BPoletti

« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm »
I figured since the base was static I would not be generating any interference.

My point was regarding the possible interaction between the magnetic base and the magnets in the cartridge. 

BPoletti

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm »
Wayner, there must be, but first I need to build or buy a shelf that can level, sell of my remaining stuff from the TNT table and sell of other stuff!

How about drilling and tapping three holes on the bottom for threaded cones?  They can be used for leveling without having to move the entire shelf or stand.

What are you going to sell?

Sonny

« Reply #28 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm »
How about drilling and tapping three holes on the bottom for threaded cones?  They can be used for leveling without having to move the entire shelf or stand.

What are you going to sell?

I thought about that, but remember, there's a 2.5 inch gap from the bottom of the plinth (what you see externally) and the actual solid plinth on the inside.  Also, at over 130lbs, to tap holes, that's easy, but to find decent cones (i would rather do feet) to support that kind of weight, that would be tough.  Plus, I don't want to be putting my hand under that thing to adjust...if something goes wrong, I'd be losing some fingers, for sure!

I am selling some stuff here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97548.msg978380;topicseen#new

Wayner

« Reply #29 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:14 am »
There is no need for cone feet on this unit. At that weight, all the cones would do is damage things.

Wayner

Sonny

« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2011, 03:31 am »
There is no need for cone feet on this unit. At that weight, all the cones would do is damage things.

Wayner

Right Wayner, I am just looking for a way to level a platform...first I need to build one, but don't have tools...it'll be a work in process....
Tuan

BobM

« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:56 pm »
Looks impressive. Very nice job. I assume that the platter itself is finely balanced so as to not introduce any wobble while spinning? If plating doesn't work you could potentially opt for painting, but I like the raw metal look of this.

As for a platform, metal can ring, even something of this mass, so I would suggest some wood (maple) and possible something with potential damping properties like  Ginko Cloud-like clone underneath it all.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #32 on: 18 Aug 2011, 01:07 am »
Very impressive to say the least!

These guys are who the bike shops go to:

http://brownsplating.com/index.php

so I don't see why they couldn't do a turntable.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #33 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm »
Beautiful table!!!
It would probably be easier to devise a way to level the shelf or support, rather than the table. That's how I'd do it. I think cones with threaded bolts, even heavy duty ones, won't work. Even with all that weight it would probably wobble if you used them to level. Level the shelf and save yourself a lot of grief.
Regards,
neo

Berndt

« Reply #34 on: 18 Aug 2011, 02:18 pm »
That was my idea. With independent arm pods you almost need to use you shelf as a datum. Adjustable feet on an armpod when there is only one postion for being parallel to the spindle seems like a cruel joke.

Sonny

« Reply #35 on: 18 Aug 2011, 04:29 pm »
Looks impressive. Very nice job. I assume that the platter itself is finely balanced so as to not introduce any wobble while spinning? If plating doesn't work you could potentially opt for painting, but I like the raw metal look of this.

As for a platform, metal can ring, even something of this mass, so I would suggest some wood (maple) and possible something with potential damping properties like  Ginko Cloud-like clone underneath it all.

The Platter and bearing is a VPI Classic Aluminum and it's quite stable and balanced...there is no wobble or inbalance...

Sonny

« Reply #36 on: 18 Aug 2011, 04:31 pm »
Beautiful table!!!
It would probably be easier to devise a way to level the shelf or support, rather than the table. That's how I'd do it. I think cones with threaded bolts, even heavy duty ones, won't work. Even with all that weight it would probably wobble if you used them to level. Level the shelf and save yourself a lot of grief.
Regards,
neo

Yes, the goal is to level the platform, not the table, armpod and motor, that would be too difficult.  So, I need to figure a good, sturdy and affordable platform...working on the size I need now and what to use as leveling footers.  anyone have opinions on the Billy Bags Pro-Glides as leveling footers?

Wayner

« Reply #37 on: 18 Aug 2011, 04:47 pm »
If my math is right, I'm betting that with a thick maple base, that the whole thing is going to weigh somewhere around 200 pounds. That is 50 pounds per foot. I think you need to move to the "industrial" sizes. 3/8-16 threads on swiveling, machined pads, for the feet. 3/8"-16, wide flanged "T" nuts for the bottom of the maple base, and you should be good to go. Look at McMaster-Carr for the feet.

Wayner  8)

Sonny

« Reply #38 on: 18 Aug 2011, 05:09 pm »
If my math is right, I'm betting that with a thick maple base, that the whole thing is going to weigh somewhere around 200 pounds. That is 50 pounds per foot. I think you need to move to the "industrial" sizes. 3/8-16 threads on swiveling, machined pads, for the feet. 3/8"-16, wide flanged "T" nuts for the bottom of the maple base, and you should be good to go. Look at McMaster-Carr for the feet.

Wayner  8)
wayner, this link, #4?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#adjustable-feet/=doapqm

Sonny

« Reply #39 on: 18 Aug 2011, 06:01 pm »