<pokes head in, looks around>

gary

« on: 16 Dec 2003, 05:53 pm »
i just bought one of these...

the new Clearaudio Emotion Turntable

...so i'm going to be hanging out around here a little more often.

i can't wait until it arrives and i get to hear it in my system (the dealer was out of stock, so it has to be shipped down to me from montreal).

-gary

michael w

« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2003, 04:06 am »
Nice table Gary.

What have you got lined up in way of cartridge and preamp ?

cheers

Rocket

new turntable
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2003, 09:31 am »
Hi gary,

i recently just purchased a bluenote piccolo turntable which i think is similiar in price to the clearaudio tt.

i've pretty happy with it considering i'm using a fairly cheap cartridge.

what phonostage are you using?  i bought a perreaux sxv-1 which is much better than the nad pp1.

regards

rocket

gary

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2003, 02:46 pm »
The cartridge is a Clearaudio Aurum Classic Wood. It retails for $200, and the shop threw it in free with the purchase of the turntable. As for the phono stage, I have no idea what I'm going to get so I'm definitely open to suggestions. I'll probably start out with the $20 radioshack phono stage, just so I can start using the table, and then upgrade soon after.

-Gary

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2003, 05:46 pm »
Gary,
is that a new Clearaudio cartridge model?? I always thought the Aurum Alpha was the least expensive in the line.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/sc.2/category.367/.f;jsessionid=c4cc65759a05411ab5dfcce3f283083e

gary

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2003, 06:06 pm »
i think it's a new entry-level model to go along with the emotion. if you go to their site:

http://www.clearaudio.de/res1/en/

you can see it listed (i can't give you a link to it directly because the site uses flash). i believe i have the aurum classic wood, which retails for $200:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgtabl&1075040218

-gary

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2003, 07:02 pm »
Looks like there's a couple different offerings from when I last checked.
I think Clearaudio still offers a decent trade-in program BTW, so you can trade up from your classsic to a Virtuoso Wood or an Insider :D .  It was something like $400 to trade a Aurum Beta S up to a Virtuoso Wood.

mannye

• http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=23441&ck=&userid=1657900
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2003, 03:27 pm »
Hey Gary, I too started with the Radio Shack phono stage and I'll tell you, that snide comments from those other audio boards aside, it does a very good job.

I am still deciding if I like it more than the slightly more expensive Hagerman Bugle (still a bargain at 50 bucks).

If you are handy with a soldering iron, I would check out the Bottlehead Seduction tube phono stage.  I have not heard it yet, but I have other Bottlehead products (preamp and amps) and they are outstanding considering the prices.  It will be replacing the sand stages later this year, however.

Have fun!

Rocket

clearaudio turntables
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2003, 11:45 pm »
Hi Mannye,

Have you built a hagerman bugle? and are you in the process of comparing it to the radioshack phonostage?

please keep us up to date if you are, i am interested in building one.

regards

rod

gary

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2003, 11:46 pm »
My plan is now definitely to use the ratshack stage until I can build a seduction. I'm going to plant the seed of getting it as an xmas gift... hopefully that pans out.

-gary

Carlman

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2003, 12:28 am »
I too am looking for an inexpensive but good phono pre.  However, my TT is just good mid-fi and is used for about 20% of my listening.  

I exchanged some emails with Bill at hagtech and it's a bit more expensive in parts and labor than I'm willing to go.  

How much better is the Bugle than say, something from www.kabusa.com or other places?  The $20 RS thing can't be good... OR can it be good enough?

duff138

« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2003, 01:26 am »
the RS phono amp is fine to get you listening to your vinyl.  It's only $20+ so it's definitely where I'd start.  I actually used one for awhile.

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2003, 02:06 am »
When I recently got back into Vinyl, I was using a MMF-5 with the phono stage from a Hafler DH-110. I was not impressed.

I built a Hagermann Bugle with some upgraded parts and the AC power Supply

It was worlds better. I really started to appreciate what vinyl was all about.

Then I got a little crazy :mrgreen:

I assembled a Teres 255 TT kit

Shortly thereafter I built a Hagerman Cornet

Be careful with Vinyl. It can get addicting and cause you to completely blow your audio budget with upgrade-itis :lol:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2003, 02:16 am »
Quote from: duff138
the RS phono amp is fine to get you listening to your vinyl.  It's only $20+ so it's definitely where I'd start.  I actually used one for awhile.

It's $25 now--
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=970-1018

Rocket

i can't even remember what this post was about originally :)
« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2003, 04:19 am »
Hi,

Wayne i know what you mean about vinyl being addictive i haven't played a cd in over 2 weeks.  although it doesn't help not having enough ic's to use in my system now.  that will be remedied with your cables which you sent me.

i still think that even though vinyl does cost a little more than dc/dac combination (dac's can be had at great prices like your mensa) it does add something to the sound which i find cd doesn't recreate.

carl,  whatever you do dont' buy a nad pp1 or 2, they sound terrible.  i bought the pp1 listened to it once packed it away and sold it really cheaply.  i just bought a perreaux sxv-1 for a fairly cheap price and it sound pretty good and is really flexible with cartridge types.

regards
rod

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2003, 12:16 pm »
Rocket,
the Perreaux was just reviewed in the Jan. Stereophile (amongst several other brands in Michael Fremer's column).

General phono-seekers in general,
would buying a used piece of gear be an option??  With something like the Advent 300 receiver, you get a phono stage, FM source, headphone amp, preamp or receiver depending on how you connect the cables.  They're about $100 on eBay, so they're NOT a wise buy JUST for the phono; but if the FM reception is a benefit or if you can use the receiver in a bedroom/garage/workshop/computer system somewhere down the line, it might be a good investment.  They've probably depreciated to their bottom level, so a guy could resell one for close to what he paid.
Any piece of vintage gear (with a phono stage) would work, but the Advent is so small it doesn't take up much more space than a dedicated phono stage. FWIW, Jim Hagerman says the Advent phono isn't that great
but some others seem to differ.

Rocket

phonostages
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2003, 01:27 pm »
Hi Tonto Yoder,

Do you know if the perreaux phonostage received a decent review?  It sounds reasonable to me imo, i know there are better phonostages available.  but the price was right for me.

I had an old cambridge audio integrated and the phonostage was excellent.  i should have kept it instead of selling it (why do i always do that).

regards

rocket

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2003, 07:28 pm »
Rocket,
you've got mail!

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2003, 08:28 pm »
Guys,

I forgot I also picked up an ART DeeJay phono preamp. I started building the Bugle before it arrived. I have never used it. This thread jogged my memory. If anyone is interested, I just put an ad in the Trading Post

michael w

Re: i can't even remember what this post was about originall
« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2003, 02:47 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi,

carl,  whatever you do dont' buy a nad pp1 or 2, they sound terrible.

NO way !

Those two NADs are absolute bargains, in particular the PP2, which is very different from the PP1.
If they sounded terrible it was something else in your system.

In fact the PP2 has almost everything that Fremer found lacking in the Perreaux for a little over one third of the Perreaux' price.
Sure the Perreaux has all manner of adjustments but this same flexibility compromises it's sound quality too much.

cheerio