Vinyl Storage

caddisgeek

Vinyl Storage
« on: 27 Sep 2007, 01:04 am »
Finally after many years, my kids are now old enough for my LP's to come out of hiding. I (and the rest of the family) listen to a lot more records now that they are in the same room as my stereo. The problem is storage. The plastic crates on the living room floor, while they may have a certain amount of teenage sharehouse charm, have a fairly low WAF rating. Anyone like to share photo's of how they store their rekkids?

Cheers
Steve

Ron Stewart

• http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/
Re: Vinyl Storage
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2007, 01:54 am »
What an interesting coincidence. Just five minutes ago, I posted a link to project page describing my DIY solution over at Audio Asylum. (I don't have very many records.)

Details: http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/recordstorage/default.html

Ron

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:15 am »
Mine are from Ikea. The Lak collection.

whubbard

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2008, 05:33 pm »
Instead of posting a new thread altogether, I thought I would revive this one.

I really like Ron's design, but I'm wondering if anyone has pictures of there storage systems so I can some more ideas.

Thanks

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2008, 07:31 pm »
I have one made from pre-finished shelving and some 1 x 3 maple. I'll try and snap a photo for you tonight. Didn't cost much to make and it's worked well for quite a while.

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2008, 07:55 pm »
Here's a look at my solution. I wanted something that could carry the weight, so I used these metal shelves, obtainable from IKEA or Home Depot and probably other places as well. I had these wooden crates, so I used them, but I would guess putting a board down on the shelving would work nicely, and there's no warpage due to weight to worry about.

Enjoy,
Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2008, 08:33 pm »
If you don't want to saw, screw, nail or glue but are willing to assemble, stain and finish, this may not be bad for your living room once finished. It's half-assed DIY to save money and to avoid those rascally laminated particleboards. :lol:
Single: http://www.1unfinishedfurniture.com/493w.html

Double: http://www.1unfinishedfurniture.com/495w.html

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2008, 10:29 pm »
Hey Woodsyi,

That looks nice. How many LPs will one case hold?

ner

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2008, 10:45 pm »
Wayner,

The way I measure it, 1.5" width holds about 10 singles.  So each shelf would hold about 200 for the single making it 400 total.  Double shelf would hold about 150 each shelf for a total of 600.  Single sided cover would take less room and boxed sets would take more.  So the number may vary depending on your collection.

lcrim

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2008, 01:24 am »
Nearby storage for living room system.  Storage unit cost about $160.00

Scottdazzle

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2008, 01:48 am »

Alan

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2008, 03:53 am »
I had about 2k lp's in the crawlspace in cardboard boxes falling apart. Needed storage for maybe 35 linear feet of LP's and wanted something stackable and movable (will probably be moving soon). Went to Home Despot and bought a bunch of 2x3's and built open frame crates. Picture this...sorry no camera handy. One stick on top and back of a 13"x13" square frame and two sticks on the bottom. They cradle together when you stack them, pick them up and move them, no problem. If you stack them tall then throw a screw from the back stick into the stud in the wall (might save your kid's or your cat's life). With a little stain/oil and something on top they even look decent.

low.pfile

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2008, 08:16 pm »
I really like the craftsmanship of the Core Furniture units:
http://www.corefurniture.com
> Media Storage

On my wish list.

lcrim

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2008, 03:42 am »

mike1964

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2008, 03:47 am »
Here's what I've used for years:   Rackit by Per Madsen Design
Not cheap but great design and totally modular.  I have several stacks,
with casters on the bottom so they roll nicely if I need to move them.

SET Man

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2008, 04:48 am »
Hey!

Well, here is my homemade vinyl storage...

Simple, inexpensive, can be disassembled for easy moving and you could easily make one over the weekend. :D

Just yourself some 12" deep glued pine boards from Home Depot and some threaded steel rods, wood stain, sand paper, polyurethane and a few hours over a weekend to make one or two. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: