Vinyl NOOB

spacedghost

Vinyl NOOB
« on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:29 pm »
Ok guys... NOOB Alert

What is the significance of the weighting of LP's?? (i.e. 180g, 200g etc...)?

Thanks
Shaun

Wayner

Re: Vinyl NOOB
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:35 pm »
The heavier the vinyl, ie 180, 200 gram, the thicker the records are, and of course, their heavier. This is done to stabilize the recording, minimizing warpage and junk like that. Most high end recordings (new) are now offered in 200 gram vinyl.

8)

spacedghost

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:41 pm »
Thanks Wayner...

Have they always been this weight range or is this something new?

Shaun

royphil345

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:56 pm »
Most old vinyl was in the 180 gram range or close enough. Late '70's and 80's vinyl got very thin. That's when heavier pressings started to be thought of as "premium". Many people feel that 180 grams is the "sweet spot" and anything heavier is likely to cause less precision in the pressing process.

Give me an original pressing over one of today's 180 gram re-releases any day. The weight of the vinyl isn't everything...
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2007, 06:10 pm by royphil345 »

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2007, 10:14 pm »
Digitally remastered vinyl isn't great either.

:o

spacedghost

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2007, 03:10 am »
Yikes... :o

How the heck are you supposed to know if it's digitally remasterd vinyl?

Ok second part of the vinyl noob quest.

KAB Modded Tech 1200MK2SE or Music Hall MMF -7?

If it helps I will be using a Simaudio Moon LP3 pre.

Thanks
Shaun

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2007, 03:34 am »

Thanks
Shaun

I've only heard the Music Hall and it was fine, though I personally like the Rega P3 better than it.  I'll let someone else chime in about the KAB 1200- it certainly has a strong following here. 

Toka

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2007, 03:34 am »
I'd go with the KAB deck without hesitation.

Clay W

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2007, 01:21 am »

Thanks
Shaun

The liner notes should answer whether you're dealing with digitally remastered vinyl.

Regards the TT, I've been running an MMF-7 for about four years and couldn't be happier with it - for the money.  I should add that it's carrying a Shure V15vxMR (now discontinued, but I have a spare stylus), being controlled by a Project Speed Box II (big help), and wearing an Anniversary Ringmat instead of the standard felt mat.  I've no idea whether I'd have been happy with the supplied cart, never tried it.  The way mine is set up, I think I''d have to spend another thousand to get better sound.  I'm too cheap and my ears are too old to do that.

Best of luck with your new purchase

Clay

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2007, 02:47 pm »
i would also go w/the kabusa deck w/o question.  in fact, i would go w/a stock sl1200 over the mmf7 w/o question.  another option would be to source a used empire deck - fantastic decks, up there w/the sl1200's, imo.  and way cool looking, too!   :wink:  mod them & take them up a notch or three...  learn about empires here:

http://cognitivevent.com/av_empire.html

doug s.

spacedghost

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:26 pm »

Thanks
Shaun

The liner notes should answer whether you're dealing with digitally remastered vinyl.

Regards the TT, I've been running an MMF-7 for about four years and couldn't be happier with it - for the money.  I should add that it's carrying a Shure V15vxMR (now discontinued, but I have a spare stylus), being controlled by a Project Speed Box II (big help), and wearing an Anniversary Ringmat instead of the standard felt mat.  I've no idea whether I'd have been happy with the supplied cart, never tried it.  The way mine is set up, I think I''d have to spend another thousand to get better sound.  I'm too cheap and my ears are too old to do that.

Best of luck with your new purchase

Clay

All
Thank you for all of the advice.   :thumb:
Hopefully I can find a way to identify the DRM albums before obtaining them (if buying on the internet).  Some good food for thought on the TT search thanks again.
Shaun