Linn LP12

LFE

Linn LP12
« on: 7 Feb 2006, 07:34 pm »
Can any owners out there comment on this table? I has read alot about it, claims that it is one of the best tables out. Anyone agree? Disagree? What are comparable models? VPI? I have been slowly building my vinyl collection, but I know that I will be looking to upgrade my table in the comming year (I currently have the Clear Audio Emotion) and I really want to make the best purchase I can (well... without killing my bank account!).

andyr

Re: Linn LP12
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2006, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: LFE
Can any owners out there comment on this table? I has read alot about it, claims that it is one of the best tables out. Anyone agree? Disagree? What are comparable models? VPI? I have been slowly building my vinyl collection, but I know that I will be looking to upgrade my table in the comming year (I currently have the Clear Audio Emotion) and I really want to make the best purchase I can (well... without killing my bank account!).
Each brand of t/tables has its devotees, however, I've observed that the LP12 seems to polarise opinions more than any other.

Fer instance, I've never heard anyone say "the SME is a piece of horse exceta"!  :)   But, while LP12-owners (like moi) love it, many others diss it!   :(   I wouldn't say "it's the best table" but it certainly does rank up there!  :)  Of course, if you've got $20K or more to spend, you can get a better sounding t/table but, if not, then an LP12 should be considered.

All I'll say is that Stereophile recently gave the latest model an accolade - like "t/table of the year" or something ... but you can take that how you will!   :D

If you're interested in getting hold of an LP12 then you should go here:
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1352

and read the article on the history of the LP12 (with dates).  Then you can see what you might be getting, when you find one.  Some people say the old LP12s actually sound better than the new ones - others disagree.  Before deciding on an LP12, though, I would check to see there if is an LP12-knowledgable technician at one of your local hifi shops ... they are definitely a difficult t/table to set up properly (to give their best sound) if you've no idea what you're doing.

Whatever LP12 you find, may come with an arm.  The old, classic combo of LP12 & Grace arm is still a good one; but if it's got an Akito on it, you might consider upgrading ... many arms will suit an LP12 (I have a Graham 2.2).

Good luck in your search!

Regards,

Andy

LFE

Linn LP12
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2006, 09:21 pm »
There is so much history with this table. It is nice to see a product introduced in the 70's still being updated and sold. I think that is what first drew me to the Linn. But on the other hand VPI has some very interesting offerings...

philipp

Linn LP12
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2006, 09:23 pm »
A well-known and VERY opinionated critic of the LP-12 is Arthur Salvatore. You can disagree with him, but his site makes for good reading nonetheless.

On turntables:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Tables.html

On his priorites and biases:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html

LFE

Linn LP12
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2006, 09:29 pm »
Thanks! Reading it right now....

mcrespo71

Linn LP12
« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2006, 09:53 pm »
I've heard many tables and I have owned a Roksan Xerxes X right now.  It really depends on what type of music you listen to regarding a VPI vs. a Linn.  Both are good tables.  The VPI house sound has a bigger soundstage, is more dynamic, and images better.  The Linn swings more, has better timing, and I find it more involving.  Different strokes for different folks, but either is good.  Just depends on your priorities.

Michael

JoshK

Linn LP12
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2006, 01:09 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
I've heard many tables and I have owned a Roksan Xerxes X right now.  It really depends on what type of music you listen to regarding a VPI vs. a Linn.  Both are good tables.  The VPI house sound has a bigger soundstage, is more dynamic, and images better.  The Linn swings more, has better timing, and I find it more involving.  Different strokes for different folks, but either is good.  Just depends on your priorities.

Michael

I think you've been smokin' too much flat earth weed!  :rotflmao:

Mike36

Linn LP12
« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2006, 03:40 am »
I have owned one, very nice tt and very good resale value.

Tabascosauce

Linn LP12
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2006, 10:12 am »
Consider the Thorens TD 160 Super.  

Thorens regigged the standard TD 160 to compete with the Linn LP12.

You will probably find a second hand TD 160 Super to be better priced than a second hand Linn.

LFE

Linn LP12
« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2006, 07:51 pm »
The more I read, the more I like the VPI series. Any owners care to comment?

orthobiz

Linn LP12
« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2006, 11:32 pm »
I'm loving my 1979 recently updated Linn. I'll probably always have it, like my beloved DQ-10's. Everything else in my system is new.

biz