Best Jazz at the Pawnshop LP to Buy?

ACHiPo

Best Jazz at the Pawnshop LP to Buy?
« on: 5 Jan 2015, 02:35 am »
There seem to be multiple versions of Jazz at the Pawnshop (Arne Domnerus) released on vinyl.  There are Vol I, II, and III, and a rather expensive recent release that has 4 LPs and comes with a DVD.  I'd like to get a copy on vinyl, and am looking for suggestions on which one to find.

Link to Discogs Listing of Releases

Or should I just skip it as mere audiophilia?  I like the bits I've heard, but opinions seem to be split on how good the music is.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2015, 04:52 am by ACHiPo »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Best Jazz at the Pawnshop LP to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2015, 10:50 pm »
I tend to agree with the reviewers on your link.  I'm only familiar with the 2-LP Swedish version.   The playing is mediocre, really not outstanding.  The recording has a certain immediacy to it and audiofools like it for the sound, but there are thousands of records with much better playing and great sound.

If you want to hear an intimate live recording try Bill Evans, Sunday at the Village Vanguard - Waltz for Debby. 
Ray Brown's Soular Energy is a great recording.  You'll love it.  Everybody does.
Cedar Walton's Eastern Rebellion is fantastic. 

IMO if you're going to spend your time and money there are better ways to go.
neo

ACHiPo

Re: Best Jazz at the Pawnshop LP to Buy?
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2015, 05:39 am »
Neo,
Thanks for the feedback.  I've already got "waltz" and it's one of my favorites.  I'll look for the Ray Brown and Cedar Walton LPs.

Evan