Vinyl Periodicals

MaxCast

Vinyl Periodicals
« on: 10 Nov 2012, 12:28 pm »
Came across Record Collector News while I was at the Record shows of America site and wondered if there were any other printed materials for vinyl?  Don't get the hi-fi rags anymore but I thought I'd give something like this a spin.  Any body subscribe to it or another?

BruceSB

Re: Vinyl Periodicals
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2012, 06:38 pm »
May I suggest that you consider looking at HiFi News - they give vinyl a pretty high profile both with vinyl gear and record reviews.
In my opinion they are the best print mag.
As for my self the Record Collector News is the only vinyl only print mag that I know of.

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2012, 07:24 pm »
Thanks for the info Bruce.  I'll check out hifi news too.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2012, 10:29 pm »
For Classical two magazines i used to read (for free)
American Record Guide
I liked American Record Guide as it had broader coverage, and also had regular articles doing an 'overview' of a particular artist, or type of music from an artist. Such as Puccini Operas. Or all Beethoven symphonies, and in them one could read a cross section of many good choices to buy. I loved the overviews. This magazine is often available at larger public libraries, and for Classical mavens, well worth searching out to check out the overviews in past issues.
And
 Fanfare.
Fanfare was rather specialized, as they only reviewed stuff they got as demos. So plenty of small lables, but nothing from the majors.
I have no idea if they are  still published.
For Jazz, Downbeat has reviews, but I liked Jazz Times reviews better.