Linked Events

• AK Fest 2012 - Novi MI: 28 Apr 2012 - 29 Apr 2012

2012 AK Festival - Sheraton in Novi Michigan. April 28 & 29, 2012

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Nice!  :D Hawthorne is moving up. Waveguide with a new ribbon tweeter.

Her cookies are awesome. I stayed in their room practically the whole time about 4 years ago, just because of the cookies!

Best,
Anand.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Really liked these "Franken Heils" or perhaps "EcoWave AMT-1s" in MWhell's room.  Heil drivers were removed and bass bins used as the foundation for EcoWaves.  See next post for what become of the Heil drivers. Antelope DAC (I believe) and a tiny DIY tube amp made for some very nice sounding music.

cujobob

Gahh I'm missing out ...those Hawthorne speakers look amazing! Some Vapor pics/impressions would be appreciated, too  :thumb:

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Here's where the Heil drivers from those AMT-1 speakers in Mwhell's room ended up.  This is the Southeast Michigan Audio Club room featuring a pair of the DIY horn speakers and equally massive tube amps. Subs are in the corner.  Detailed, smooth and big sound... somewhat forward imaging.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Gahh I'm missing out ...those Hawthorne speakers look amazing! Some Vapor pics/impressions would be appreciated, too  :thumb:

The Vapor Aurora speakers sounded fantastic.  I am not necessarily in the market for or one to purchase speakers at their $2700 price point... but man do they seem to be a bargain given the sound and build!  BMC electronics were in play with them and the sound was incredibly expansive and transparent with great bass to boot.  Cirrus speakers sounded good as well in the room next door with Eastern Electric electronics, but I actually preferred the less expensive Auroras.  Hoping to get back tomorrow for a listen to the Breeze and another nice looking speaker with a waveguided ribbon and big woofer with a large metal phase plug bullet (looks like it could be an AE Speaker driver... will try and learn more about those).

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
The Vapor Aurora speakers sounded fantastic.  I am not necessarily in the market for or one to purchase speakers at their $2700 price point... but man do they seem to be a bargain given the sound and build!  BMC electronics were in play with them and the sound was incredibly expansive and transparent with great bass to boot.  Cirrus speakers sounded good as well in the room next door with Eastern Electric electronics, but I actually preferred the less expensive Auroras.  Hoping to get back tomorrow for a listen to the Breeze and another nice looking speaker with a waveguided ribbon and big woofer with a large metal phase plug bullet (looks like it could be an AE Speaker driver... will try and learn more about those).

Nice!

Do you know if that bass array behind each Aurora were playing as well? It's a good idea, it distributes the bass evenly as well. My measurements in room, confirm that raising subs helps in smoothing the in room response, so that looks like a cool idea.

Best,
Anand.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
I don't believe the subs were in use (fairly certain that's what the host said), think they were being used when the Breezes were in action which you can see on the floor.  The bass from the Auroras alone was impressive.

music_lover_v2

Any pictures of the Salk room?

Thanks.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Bogdan speakers were on hand again... the little ones were quite impressive for their size.  Filled the large room with sound. Coaxial driver in a bottom ported triangular cabinet using multiple layers.

The mini Magnepans.  I could really get into a pair of these in a small room. Sounded great even with a  little Arcam 40 watt amp.

Roadrider100's room with Fritz speakers, DIY tube amp, Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid preamp, Emotiva CD.

InfernoSTi

Krikor, you are the best!!!! 

Thank you for the early coverage (and for the extra effort on the Hawthorne room)....so very much appreciated!   :thumb:   

Those little Magnepans look so tempting, actually...perfect for a second system in a small den or something.  Everything is looking good, actually...enjoy the show!!!

John

Big Red Machine

Any pictures of the Salk room?

Thanks.

Quick and dirty.  I have some folks coming over in a few minutes:

The Masters:

Big Red Machine

cujobob

Thanks Krikor and BRM!

stlrman

John,
The Hawthorn's were far and away the best sound at the show!!!!! My wife thought so too. And we both thought by a wide margin. If you are thinkin about these , you are a lucky man indeed. Bass was fantastic! My first time hearing an open baffle. Maybe the best bass I have ever heard. Mids and highs were also stellar. Room was small, but bass did not overwhelm the room at all.
I also spent a good bit of time in the Vapor Room as the Breezes were built for me! :thumb:
They were not hooked up to a subwoofer and I look forward to hearing them connected. They did sound very good though, and a few people commented to me that they really enjoyed the sound even over the Cirrus. (room and placement I would think)
The Aurora did sound very very good. This was I think the best sound for the price at the show.
The Arcus sounded damn nice as well! They were hooked to the subs. The Cirrus was the best lookin speaker at the show and sounded good, but were not dialed in to sound their best, I think. I think those who are waiting will be very happy these speakers.
Selah line arrays sounded very nice as well. The mini maggies were aweful.
I WON $1500 Kubla Sosna interconects!!! :D :thumb:  for a door prize    anybody want to make me an offer on them? lol
Todd

InfernoSTi

John,
The Hawthorn's were far and away the best sound at the show!!!!! My wife thought so too. And we both thought by a wide margin. If you are thinkin about these , you are a lucky man indeed. Bass was fantastic! My first time hearing an open baffle. Maybe the best bass I have ever heard. Mids and highs were also stellar. Room was small, but bass did not overwhelm the room at all.

Todd,

Thank you for the comments...they are being debuted at AKFest, so there may have been 6 audio people who have ever heard them before this show...thus my excitement to hear what folks had to say.  Yes, thinking about these indeed...

I WON $1500 Kubla Sosna interconects!!! :D :thumb:  for a door prize    anybody want to make me an offer on them? lol
Todd

Congrats on the great door prize!!!

Best,
John

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Thanks for the photos... :beer:

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
Selah CBT speakers.  I have been really interested in the CBT36 kits at Parts Express and was hoping they would have some here to hear.  Don Keele of Audio Artistry was on hand to describe the concept.  Very cool looking design and sound much bigger and more impactful than you'd expect.

vortrex

what veneer is that on the SS8's?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
what veneer is that on the SS8's?

It's Black Limba...

.........Peter

music_lover_v2

Quick and dirty.  I have some folks coming over in a few minutes:

The Masters:

Thanks BRM. Who is in this photo with Jim?