Short ethernet cable for Transporter

PaulFolbrecht

Short ethernet cable for Transporter
« on: 31 May 2008, 08:01 pm »
I have my Transporter coming RSN and have decided to use a wire to my Mac Mini (since the machine is so small and can fit on the same shelf).  It seems short ethernet cables (1M) are not easy to find, and also I am not sure of the quality issue here.

Any recommendations?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Short ethernet cable for Transporter
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2008, 08:30 pm »
Any decent computer etailer like Newegg

50+ 3 ft cables with my simple search

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002810132+123040283+1230413984&name=3+ft.

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2008, 08:31 pm »
go to cables are us.com or L-com. They should have 1 meter cables.

Wayner

yooper

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2008, 09:50 pm »
Here you go..... these cables start at 1 ft lengths.  Only .41 cents for a 1 footer.. .49 cents for a two footer, and .60 cents for a three footer.  Heck, you might even get yourself two!  You even get to choose your favorite color!  :D

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10208

Mark

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2008, 01:58 am »
Any decent computer etailer like Newegg

50+ 3 ft cables with my simple search

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002810132+123040283+1230413984&name=3+ft.

Thus the 2nd part of the question: quality.  Is a $1.99 cable *really* up to snuff for this type of application??  Makes no difference?  Maybe.  (I'm no stranger to computer audio but have never used ethernet before.  With USB, cables do not seem to make a difference.)

Maybe wireless is actually even better as then there is no physical connection between the transport (computer) and player..

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2008, 02:02 am »
I can't imagine there is a difference in ethernet cables, but we all know how us audiophiles are.   aa

Wired vs. wireless shouldn't be any different in terms of getting the bits where they need to go.  What could cause a difference is all the RFI and "hash" that can be caused by the wireless parts.

One of these days I am going to finally run a comparison in my system between wireless and wired...

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2008, 02:23 am »
My wired setup (new over the past few weeks) is way better than my previous wireless setup (since day one, about 2 years).  As posted earlier, i can't explain it.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2008, 02:32 am »
Wired vs. wireless shouldn't be any different in terms of getting the bits where they need to go.  What could cause a difference is all the RFI and "hash" that can be caused by the wireless parts.

Yes, that's what I was getting at.  As well as the unlikely potential of creating a ground-loop there?

Only way to know is to try it.  Which I will do.

On a completely different topic, out of curiosity, does anybody know what that guy who sold his MW Transporter on agon went to?  I mailed him but he did not reply (probably got that question 100 times).

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2008, 02:36 am »
On a completely different topic, out of curiosity, does anybody know what that guy who sold his MW Transporter on agon went to?  I mailed him but he did not reply (probably got that question 100 times).

He went to a brand new Theta Gen VIII.

I just happened to hear his system this past week and I can't say that he made a bad choice.  :wink:

Both the Theta and Modwright were excellent, just different flavors.

My "guess" is that he will most likely be using a Duet or stock Transporter to feed the Theta Gen VIII.

George

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2008, 07:38 pm »
Newegg.com is where I get most of my computer parts and they are good to deal with.

I haven't A/B'd the wireless vs. wired sound, but it sounds like Ted has done so.

I don't believe the length or quality of ethernet cable makes any difference in this case, due to the nature and method of data transfer.  It is very different than a 'digital' cable where data, clock, etc. are all combined in a SPDIF signal that is essentially deconstructed and re-clocked on the other end.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks,

Dan W.