Finally

RDavidson

Re: Finally
« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2014, 03:03 pm »
That's not true.  This is the Hypex Owners Circle...

What's not true in the world of subjectivity? :scratch:
Yes, it's a Hypex Owners Circle. Are people not allowed to voice their opinions or suggestions of other DIY builds, though not the same technology as the OP's project NCore? Are other things not valid to talk about inside the Hypex Owners Circle?

RDavidson

« Reply #21 on: 7 Oct 2014, 03:06 pm »
Never mind jtwrace. With the divided opinions on class D in general, I can see how making other suggestions could derail the thread, even unintentionally. My bad. :wink:

clpetersen

« Reply #22 on: 7 Oct 2014, 05:00 pm »
Welcome to AC!   :thumb:

No fee based kit that I'm aware of.  However, if you decide which case you want it's really simple to assemble with the bits that you want.  Objectively it's very very hard to beat this amp.  It's a stellar performer IMO.  If you choose to move forward start a new thread so we can all follow your progress and answer any questions that may arise.

Thanks for the welcome; looks like great forum. Have been using AVS forums re: music servers up till now.

I am starting to realize that (assembly ease). Also posted on the 'Newbie' thread.  Here are some basic questions, any answers appreciated.

Proposed build: so far dual SMPS600's and dual NC400's, so far in a SiliconRay stereo-style case. Considering also a single SMPS1200A400.

1) any comments on SMPS1200A400 vs SMPS600's? Other than the cost difference, which is substantial. I know Hypex states the 600's are designed to work with the NCore400 amp but a number of people seem to use the -1200 powers supply version successfully.

2) do people here put the amp in standby mode or the power supply? Power supply seems preferable. From the SMPS600 data sheet, it Pin 1 of J1 on the PS needs to be energized to be in standby mode -- as mentioned in other posts, an separate small supply could be used for this pupose. This supply in turn could be turned on using a std. 12V trigger output from a pre-amp (say) and a simple NO relay (Normally Open relay) to supply mains to the small supply. Anyone done this?

3) Anyone use the (unregulated) voltage outputs of J1 on the PS to power on indicator LED's?

4) Lastly, the Hypex site says the -400 amp and -600 supply come with necessary cables. is there anything else needed (other than case and external connectors)?

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #23 on: 7 Oct 2014, 06:55 pm »
Here are some basic questions, any answers appreciated.

Already responded in the other thread, but, oh, why not...

1) any comments on SMPS1200A400 vs SMPS600's?

In my experience, a SMPS600 is more than enough (unless you have extremely hard-to-drive speakers) for two nc400's.

I know Hypex states the 600's are designed to work with the NCore400 amp but a number of people seem to use the -1200 powers supply version successfully.

"Bigger numbers must be better". If you don't believe the Hypex people know what they are doing, you probably wouldn't be using the nd400 in the first place.

2) do people here put the amp in standby mode or the power supply? Power supply seems preferable. From the SMPS600 data sheet, it Pin 1 of J1 on the PS needs to be energized to be in standby mode -- as mentioned in other posts, an separate small supply could be used for this pupose. This supply in turn could be turned on using a std. 12V trigger output from a pre-amp (say) and a simple NO relay (Normally Open relay) to supply mains to the small supply. Anyone done this?

I have a small 6 V PS driven by a relay off my raspberry pi.

3) Anyone use the (unregulated) voltage outputs of J1 on the PS to power on indicator LED's?

I drive my LEDs from the standby PS.

4) Lastly, the Hypex site says the -400 amp and -600 supply come with necessary cables. is there anything else needed (other than case and external connectors)?

A solder lug and screw to connect the chassis to earth. A bunch of cable ties, tape, the usual stuff...

Occam

« Reply #24 on: 7 Oct 2014, 09:26 pm »
In my experience, a SMPS600 is more than enough (unless you have extremely hard-to-drive speakers) for two nc400's.

Would you please describe the circumstances where you compared a single SMPS600 supply stereo Nc400 vs a dual SMPS600 supply stereo Nc400.

What speakers did you use?
Was it a DBT, SBT or sighted comparison?
Did you note any differences other than power reserves, like imaging specificity, soundstage size, etc...?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2014, 10:01 am »
Would you please describe the circumstances where you compared a single SMPS600 supply stereo Nc400 vs a dual SMPS600 supply stereo Nc400.

It was while I was in the process of converting my Linn Isobariks to active. I already had 4 nc400's and 2 smps600's per channel, but had not yet removed the original crossover, so I could test the effect of different configurations.

Linn Isobarik DMS's with original crossovers.

Sighted, as I don't currently have a speaker-level A/B switcher, so in no way definitive. What I was listening to was any issues at higher power levels (the dual KEF 139's are not the easiest load).

Did you note any differences other than power reserves, like imaging specificity, soundstage size, etc...?

No, didn't really notice any difference.

clpetersen

« Reply #26 on: 8 Oct 2014, 04:28 pm »

Thanks in advance,
Paul

FYI, the team at Hypex has been very responsive.  see below

Hi Christopher,

a. That will work.
b. Yes, it can. Of course total available power is limited to that of the supply.
c. Yes, you will need to make it yourself from the cables that are supplied with the NC400 and SMPS600.

Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet,
Jos Wolthuis
Support
>>>>>>>>
Christopher Petersen schreef op 8-10-2014 om 15:47:
Hello Jos –
Many thanks for the reply.
a)      Thank you, I understand the stand-by logic.  I will use  the external 12 trigger to close a relay to then turn on a small auxiliary supply which will then energize the stand-by pin.

b)      SMPS600 –the data sheet indicates that it can power ‘mulitple’ NC400’s, is that correct?

c)       Is there a special cable needed - one SMPS600 to two NC400’s?

It was suggested to start a new thread for this build. I will do so. Any tips/tricks I need to start the thread?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 8 Oct 2014, 05:12 pm »
Cool.  Did you order your kit yet?