BDP - 1, 2, 3 via USB.

vonnie123

BDP - 1, 2, 3 via USB.
« on: 18 Jun 2019, 10:57 pm »
I have two standard version BDP-1s.  When hooked up via USB, and using the “Audio Device” to the DAC they are connected to, are there any significant performance differences between the BDP-1 and later BDP models in light of the DAC controlling the Audio Device portion of the delivery.   Thank you.   @unincognito

vonnie123

Re: BDP - 1, 2, 3 via USB.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2019, 01:59 am »
Bump.....

Does anyone know,  other than processor speed and storage capacity, if the BDP-2 noticeably outperforms the BDP-1 via USB, when the DAC is the controlling Audio Device?

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2019, 11:28 am »
This has been discussed on multiple occassions, all it takes is a bit of reading to find it.

vonnie123

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2019, 07:16 am »
@RDaneel.  An answer would be just as easy from telling me to search for it....

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2019, 01:03 pm »
I only have the BDP-1 here for actual experience. This is what I've heard about the three models over the years when used to feed DACs (particularly their matching Bryston BDA counterpart number).

BDP-1: AES preferred over coaxial and USB.
BDP-2: USB improves and people start using USB more on this. However, AES is still preferred. There was also the introduction of IAD.
BDP-3: USB is right there with AES. It becomes a toss up. I've typically read this on BDA-3 and BDP-3 combos. No idea if it'd hold up on BDA-2 and BDP-3 for example.

The only way to conclusively say anything about them would be to pair each BDP # (1, 2, 3) with all the BDA # (1, 2, 3)  to see if/how much of the differences sonically are attributed to the BDA vs. BDP. I haven't read much data about isolating the BDA and BDP to see what's what.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2019, 03:58 pm »
@RDaneel.  An answer would be just as easy from telling me to search for it....

There's really no easy answer to this, being the primary point of contact for supporting the BDP's over the nearly 9 years its been around I have gotten the sense its very much based on preference; some people like USB, others like AES/EBU.  Generally my advice is to get an entry level cable for the interconnect you don't have to try an AB it your self to see if you might like it or not.  The USB might be worth while to consider if you have a BDA-2 or BDA-3.

Chris

vonnie123

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2019, 04:16 am »
Thanks Zoom25 and Chris.....

I bought a 17" BDP-1 back when they first came out and picked up a new BDP-1 19" demo this year that was an old trade in.....thing was sparkling new.

Currently using both via USB......really pleased, was just curious if the newer variants offered more horsepower per se.  Limited to BNC/SPDIF on one DAC (Benchmark DAC3 HGC) but can use AES/EBU of the other W4S DAC2v2se.  I'll experiment some.

The BDP-1s still work great in MPD and Roon Ready modes.  One thing about Bryston stuff is that its made like a tank.