computer audio server tweaks

firedog

computer audio server tweaks
« on: 29 Jun 2011, 07:55 pm »
Interesting thread at CA about the new audiophile music server (C.A.P.S.),the site owner, Chris has built:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Pocket-Server-CAPS-v20

In particular, I think two of the high quality parts he used could be of interest to readers here, and I quote:

Audiophile Add-ins
The next two pieces of the C.A.P.S. v2.0 puzzle will never be found in an off-the-shelf Dell, HP, Apple, etc. The SOtM tX-USB and SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter are as far removed from standard commodity computer hardware as it gets. The inline SATA noise filter connects directly to a hard drive whether it's solid state or standard spinning disk. Regular SATA data and SATA power cables are then connected to the filter. No special cables required. The installation could not be simpler. The SOtM filter has individual 12V, 5V, and 3.3V RF noise filters in addition to ripple noise filters. I was skeptical at first but after seeing objective measurements detailing the positive effect this filter has on a computer system and placing this filter in the new C.A.P.S. server I'm sold. Add to cart for all my servers.

The SOtM tX-USB is a half height PCI to USB card ... it's delivered with both short and long PCI trim plates. The design of the SOtM tX-USB is an all-out-assault on PCI to USB cards. The tX-USB has its own power line noise filter, individual ultra low noise regulators to power up to two attached USB devices, onboard ultra low jitter clock, onboard PCI host controller, and separate power connector. This enables the card to be powered by an external linear or battery PSU. Many computer audiophiles like to experiment with cutting the power leg from USB cables or special ordering cables without the power leg. The tX-USB has an easily accessed manual switch, next to the USB ports on the card, that enables/disables sending power over the USB cable. Users will have to check their DACs to determine if USB power is required. Some USB DACs require USB power even if the DAC itself is powered by a separate supply. The tX-USB us 100% compliant with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed and all prior USB specifications and speeds.

I don't think the SATA noise filter needs any explanation. The PCI>USB card is supposed to give much higher quality output than any standard USB port mounted on the main board.

see: http://www.sonore.us/SOtM.html#3
http://sotm-audio.com/sotm/products/tX-USB.htm

I'm probably going to try one of the SATA noise filters. I'll let you know if I hear a difference.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: computer audio server tweaks
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2011, 08:51 pm »
I use a laptop for my server, and I just unplug it and run it off battery when I'm in critical listening mode.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2012, 05:39 pm »
Any new insight regarding the SOtM USB card, SATA drive and fan filters in relation to Empirical Audio products?  I'm interested in adding some or all of the SOtM parts if they will be improvements in a computer server with an Off-Ramp 3 attached.  It will be good to know if the SOtM parts will be beneficial to current Empirical Audio products.  Steve?  Anybody using SOtM parts in a server with Empirical Audio hardware attached?

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2012, 07:01 pm »
Any new insight regarding the SOtM USB card, SATA drive and fan filters in relation to Empirical Audio products?  I'm interested in adding some or all of the SOtM parts if they will be improvements in a computer server with an Off-Ramp 3 attached.  It will be good to know if the SOtM parts will be beneficial to current Empirical Audio products.  Steve?  Anybody using SOtM parts in a server with Empirical Audio hardware attached?

Any improvement to the USB interface will directly impact an Off-Ramp 3.  Worth a try IMO.

Steve N.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2012, 02:18 am »
Does an Off-Ramp 3 require the power leads in the USB connection?  I realize it's powered by the external PSU but the SOtM USB card allows the USB power to be switched off.  If the Off-Ramp doesn't require the power is there a benefit to switching it off?

Thanks.

AgentOrange

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2012, 04:20 am »
I have been into computer tunes for years, read it all, experimented with much of it.

I have a good example of it -outside on my deck.

At the end of the day, if you don't have decent equipment in line, tweaks on the computer side are just mental fun.

You have to have an excellent DAC, pre, amp and speakers, just like in all audio systems.

Sorry, but it costs $$.  Tweaking your computer is fun, but it is just the server.  There are many links in the chain to address before you need to worry about things like "jitter".   Until you assemble a good system, the computer will not be the weak link.

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2012, 05:26 am »
Does an Off-Ramp 3 require the power leads in the USB connection?

No.

I realize it's powered by the external PSU but the SOtM USB card allows the USB power to be switched off.  If the Off-Ramp doesn't require the power is there a benefit to switching it off?

Possible.  A USB ground filter will make a bigger difference.

Steve N.