XLD set up help

lokie

XLD set up help
« on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:09 pm »
I posted this in Apple circle and got one response. 95 post about the IPAD and 1 response about  Apple's premier ripping software- That circle is completely irrelevent when it comes to Audio.

Anyway, I could use some verification/discussion about a couple of XLD set up pages.

Any thoughts on a better way to do this would be helpful.- Thanks

BobMajor

Re: XLD set up help
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2011, 07:00 pm »
Audio Asylum would be a good place to try posting this for a wider base of users:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/bbs.html

gary

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:03 pm »
I was hoping there would be other responses too, since I only just started using XLD. It seems like most people are using the defaults maybe with the exception of XLD Secure Ripper instead of CDParanoia since it seems to perform better.

gary

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:37 pm »
I was hoping there would be other responses too, since I only just started using XLD. It seems like most people are using the defaults maybe with the exception of XLD Secure Ripper instead of CDParanoia since it seems to perform better.

Gary... Three responses total and you are two of them. Ha ha. Thanks.

Audio Asylum would be a good place to try posting this for a wider base of users:

Bob... What's up with this place? I know Audio Assylum would probably be  good for this but they don't have a dedicated Apple Asylum and the Asylum is, well... the Asylum,  if you know what I mean.

Steve... Sorry for venting on your circle. That wasn't my intent. I'm just looking for expertise and have found your posters very wel linformed.

BobMajor

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:13 pm »
Despite the name "PC audio" that section of the Asylum is primarily used by Mac users. A quick search for XLD yielded these results:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?forum=pcaudio&searchtext=XLD

serengetiplains

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:37 pm »
You can find comments on perceived sq for different modes of ripping using XLD here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Forget-Amarra-Use-Pro-Tools-9

Load the page, select "show 300 comments" on the drop down menu on the bottom of the page, then search "XLD" using your browser find function.  Presto.

newzooreview

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:37 pm »
I posted this in Apple circle and got one response. 95 post about the IPAD and 1 response about  Apple's premier ripping software- That circle is completely irrelevent when it comes to Audio.

Anyway, I could use some verification/discussion about a couple of XLD set up pages.

Any thoughts on a better way to do this would be helpful.- Thanks

I use the built-in ripping engine rather than the older CD Paranoia engine. The author of XLD developed his ripping engine to supersede CD Paranoia. Also keep in mind that the ripping engine really only comes into play when the disc has scratches on it.

I have it setup so that it does a test then rip if the disc is not in the Accurate Rip database, and if the checksums match on the rip and the test then it's good (or reproducibly bad--in which case you'll need a new CD to get a clean rip).

Also, pickup an external CD drive rather than using an internal drive on a Mac. A good external drive will be more reliable and durable. With that said there are some discs that just don't like a particular drive and rip fine if switched to another one (so I do rarely end up using the internal drive as an alternative approach for those discs).

Hope that helps. Did you have any specific questions?

lokie

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2011, 03:53 pm »
Despite the name "PC audio" that section of the Asylum is primarily used by Mac users. A quick search for XLD yielded these results:

Well... thanks I have read all those.

I use the built-in ripping engine rather than the older CD Paranoia engine. The author of XLD developed his ripping engine to supersede CD Paranoia. Also keep in mind that the ripping engine really only comes into play when the disc has scratches on it.

I have it setup so that it does a test then rip if the disc is not in the Accurate Rip database, and if the checksums match on the rip and the test then it's good (or reproducibly bad--in which case you'll need a new CD to get a clean rip).

Also, pickup an external CD drive rather than using an internal drive on a Mac. A good external drive will be more reliable and durable   With that said there are some discs that just don't like a particular drive and rip fine if switched to another one (so I do rarely end up using the internal drive as an alternative approach for those discs).

Great- Thanks Newzoo just what I was loooking for. I just bought a OWC Mercury Pro and so far so good. No comparison to the chincy drive in the mini that died.  Whether that translates to better sonics along with the XLD ripping software... well?? We'll see.