Offramp 3 and Vista settings

kaka

Offramp 3 and Vista settings
« on: 2 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm »
I am currently running with no DSP option in Foobar ie attempting to bypass software upsampling

I have two sets of files from the Bowers & Wilkins music society (http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/display.aspx?infid=777) of Little Ax playing. One is 16/44.1 and the other 24/48

My dac is an Altmann which is a non-oversampling design, and is manually switched to match whatever type of file is playing

Now it gets interesting
I have the Empirical 1.1 in Vista sound set to 24/44.1 and the dac is set to 44.1 too.
But the 24/48 files play - Foobar knows they are sampled at 48 but the dac is switched to only accepting 44.1, so that is what they are actually playing at. What is dropping the sample rate back ? Foobar ? Direct sound 2 ? Something else ?

Thanks

audioengr

Re: Offramp 3 and Vista settings
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2009, 01:24 am »
Vista audio stack is doing it.

The best thing is to bypass this with WASAPI I believe.

Steve N.

kaka

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2009, 02:10 am »
Thanks for the info

Can I take it that you mean using Foobar plus the WASAPI addin ?
Looks like the foobar WASAPI addin is for Foobar 9

I have tried Foobar 0.9.6.7 with WASAPI and yes, it does send 44.1 as 44.1, 48 as 48
But the WASAPI:Empirical 1.1 target produces a lot of static/sounds horrid so it doesn't seem viable
And idea what have I missed ?

Edit : I've just done some more A/B comparison of 0.8.3 (direct2, 44.1) and 0.9.6.7 (direct and 44.1) and I prefer the former. I would still be interested in getting WASAPI to go with the Offramp in the later version, but its academic in the early version  as there won't be a compatible plugin

Thanks

« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2009, 09:02 am by kaka »

kaka

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2009, 08:17 pm »
Has anyone got WASAPI talking to an Offramp 3 cleanly ?

kaka

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2009, 09:47 pm »
I am trying J RIVER Media Center 14

It has two new features that interest me - ability to play a track from memory and WASAPI support.
However the WASAPI route fails at 24/96 with the Empirical Audio 1.1 USB driver as a target, whereas Direct Sound to the EA USB driver is fine

Its looking like zero out of two for me - WASAPI failures in Foobar and J River talking to the EA USB driver. Is there some way to plumb things together to get the WASAPI route to work with an Offramp 3 ?

KingStyles

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2009, 09:55 pm »
Have you tried using 16/96 out and then let the offramp take it up to 24/96? I hope to have an offramp in the next week or two and I am running jriver on vista. Ill be curious if i get the same results.

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2009, 05:23 am »
I am trying J RIVER Media Center 14

It has two new features that interest me - ability to play a track from memory and WASAPI support.
However the WASAPI route fails at 24/96 with the Empirical Audio 1.1 USB driver as a target, whereas Direct Sound to the EA USB driver is fine

Its looking like zero out of two for me - WASAPI failures in Foobar and J River talking to the EA USB driver. Is there some way to plumb things together to get the WASAPI route to work with an Offramp 3 ?

Have you tried setting to 32-bit fixed point in Foobar?

Steve N.

kaka

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2009, 07:23 am »
Have you tried setting to 32-bit fixed point in Foobar?

Steve N.

Brilliant - sorted. You have pushed me in the right direction, thanks Steve

In Foobar (you need one of the recent versions for the WASAPI addin to be compatible) you have to go into the WASAPI addin and set it to 24 bit, it defaults to 16. I tried the upsampler that comes in Foobar 0.9.6.7 - horrid, 44.1 was better. WASAPI could be seen to be working as setting the audio stack to 48 didn't stop sound playing on a NOS dac set to 44.1. Using DirectSound it does

And I have sorted JRiver 14 too - under Player - Playback Options - Output Mode Settings there is a box ticked on "present 24 bit data in a 32 bit package..". Get rid of it and things happen

I will do some listening, but my first ever Macbook has arrived so an Amarra Mini trial is the next thing on the agenda

Thanks again, Steve

Edit :

The JRiver sound Media Centre 14 sound is so much better than Foobar that I have spent the evening trying a lot of tracks, Amarra will have to wait
I am playing using Vista (using the from memory and WASAPI settings) and using JRiver to upsample to 24/96
I was using laptop batteries while they lasted, which lifted things a little further

In my system this player provides more detail, more dynamics and is just nicer than Foobar 0.8.3+SRC

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2009, 09:08 am by kaka »

Brucemck

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2009, 01:58 pm »

And I have sorted JRiver 14 too - under Player - Playback Options - Output Mode Settings there is a box ticked on "present 24 bit data in a 32 bit package..". Get rid of it and things happen

Should it be checked, or unchecked?

kaka

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:35 pm »
Should it be checked, or unchecked?

With my dac (Altmann) it should be unchecked