Device that "removes" jitter from recordings

Brucemck

Device that "removes" jitter from recordings
« on: 18 May 2009, 04:31 pm »
Steve, this device is purported to "remove" jitter from recordings (actually, to shift the spectrum to a non obtrusive place) ... which if true would be a great addition to your products which reduce jitter between the source and the DAC ... do you have a point of view?

http://www.jitter.de/english/engc_navfr.html

audioengr

Re: Device that "removes" jitter from recordings
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2009, 01:27 am »
Steve, this device is purported to "remove" jitter from recordings (actually, to shift the spectrum to a non obtrusive place) ... which if true would be a great addition to your products which reduce jitter between the source and the DAC ... do you have a point of view?

http://www.jitter.de/english/engc_navfr.html

Yes, I've known about this device for some time - used with the Altmann Attraction DAC.  It will certainly lower the jitter, but I dont think it competes with the Pace-Car.  I'm always suspicious of anyone claiming to completely "remove" jitter.  This is impossible.

BTW, I have some other projects in the works for low-cost jitter reduction.

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2009, 01:32 am »
I was thinking about using it in front of, not as a replacement for, a PaceCar.

They assert that jitter that was produced during the recording process is "removed" via moving its spectrum to a different point ... it's that specific claim that they reduce recording process jitter that's intriguing.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2009, 01:40 am »
I was thinking about using it in front of, not as a replacement for, a PaceCar.

They assert that jitter that was produced during the recording process is "removed" via moving its spectrum to a different point ... it's that specific claim that they reduce recording process jitter that's intriguing.

Give it a try.  My prediction is that it will not matter.

At least with the Pace-Car 2, I have changed S/PDIF input cables and Toslink cables and changed to different sources, including SB3, Lynx AES16, Duet, Sonos, Tascam US-144, AirPort Express, Wadia iPod dock, Mac Mini direct and Apple TV.

the only ones that sound a smidgen different are:

Apple TV and AirPort Express - probably due to ALAC conversions
Sonos - maybe slightly better due to 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 conversion

Steve N.