DEQX Revisited

Joules

DEQX Revisited
« on: 25 Jun 2006, 01:54 pm »
Hello All
I have just received my DEQX back from Steve, which he did extensive modifications to and I thought I might post my impressions for those that might be interested.

Modifications:
I have no use for analog inputs so they were left untouched
and I was not going to use the SP/DIF inputs ether so they were left alone, too
Steve installed a USB to I2S interface inside and all that is necessary to integrate it in to the DEQX. I am using this exclusively with a dedicated PC as the sole source of music.
The analog output circuits had all the op-amp IC's replaced and upgraded with Steve's recommended up grades. Because My woofers are considerably less efficient and woofer amps require higher input voltage to bring them to full output.  I asked Steve to boost the output of channels 1L and 1R so as to more closely match the levels of the mids and tweets.
The Stock PDC-P power supply was also surgically removed and replaced with an upgraded switchmode power supply.
This by no means represent the ultimate PDC modifications. There is still more that could be done but this is all I had time and money for.

Impressions:
This Process took a long time and a lot of money but I still would  do it again.
The sonic results were nothing short of mind blowing.
With all the added components inside the chassis and the upgraded power supply, heat became an issue. The power supply required a moderate sized heat sink and a hole cut in the bottom of the chassis for it to poke thru. I took the top cove to a local sheet metal fabricator and had him perforate the top cover on his CNC punch machine to allow needed ventilation - all is good now.

Sonics:
Unheard-of clarity and smoothness for home audio playback. Air and 3 dimensionality is  truly superb
Dynamics and Micro dynamics added life and amazing realisium and the Bass - Ah... the Bass - Deeper, richer fuller with a very neutral precision. Sonics were greatly improved over the stock PDC

I have been in highend audio shops showing there best, from large "name brand companies" and right away there is always something in the sound that stands out and allot of the time it's sweetness. it sounds pleasant but doesn't sound real. or there is some other feature that stands out as if that's what you're supposed to notice. This modified PDC dose not do that in any way, every thing is balanced and in it's place. It's hard for me to say this is good or that is good because the hole thing is good and in proper balanced proportions, nothing stands out, it's just DAMNED REAL sounding. There is just more there, there
One other impression I had witch is more unique to the DSP capability of the PDC is that filtering and EQ settings seem to work better, this is hard for me to explain but, when I ask a filter setting to accomplish something it dose it just as I would expect it to do. The Stock PDC just didn't seem to come thru as well with EQ and filter settings like it does now.

I hope this has been useful to someone. This has been a extremely worthwhile up grade.

Dave Van Doren
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2006, 07:02 pm by Joules »