Steve, what's the deal with RealityCheck at CES?

Jon L

« on: 12 Jan 2006, 04:01 am »
Could you share what you heard when original and realitycheck CD were burned to hard drive and played from hard drive?  

Were the 2 files in fact bit-perfect?  What does it mean there were some variations in "housekeeping" bits but not music bits?

audioengr

Re: Steve, what's the deal with RealityCheck at CES?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2006, 02:44 am »
Quote from: Jon L
Could you share what you heard when original and realitycheck CD were burned to hard drive and played from hard drive?  

Were the 2 files in fact bit-perfect?  What does it mean there were some variations in "housekeeping" bits but not music bits?

So, you got wind of this "shoot-out"?

Well, I believe that each drive type trunkates the file differently, so the data never compares from one CD-R to another ripped or written on another device.  I'm not sure whether it is the reading device or the writing device or both that is doing this, but I suspect it is the writing device.  I looked at the starting bits and they are identical.  Somewhere towards the end, they miscompare.  I still have the files and just need to study them more to find out if the data at the end is actually different or whether it is just trunkated at different points.  I even ripped a CD of my own and then ripped the copy that I rewrote and they were different files.  BTW - I preferred my own re-written disk to the RC, but after treatment with their solutions, they both sounded a lot alike.  I didn't care for the effect their solutions had on my CD-R.  They both sounded a LOT better than the original though.  The bass seemed louder on the RC, but it was not as focused as the CD Tune-up (EA version).  The piano seemed more percussive and natural to me on the CD Tune-up.

Steve N.

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2006, 03:40 am »
"They both sounded a LOT better than the original though"

Do you mean the RC CDR copy and CD Tune-Up CDR copy, when played from a traditional CD transport, sounded better than original CD, or that they sounded better than original CD AFTER they were all ripped to hard drive and played from hard drive w/foobar??

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2006, 08:00 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
"They both sounded a LOT better than the original though"

Do you mean the RC CDR copy and CD Tune-Up CDR copy, when played from a traditional CD transport, sounded better than original CD, or that they sounded better than original CD AFTER they were all ripped to hard drive and played from hard drive w/foobar??

They both sounded a LOT better than the CD's when the CD-R's were played in a CD player.

I've already filled some orders for re-written CD's since CES, for folks that heard the improvement at CES.  I had not planned to be in the disk re-writing business, but I guess I am because the demand is there.  I've been doing them for $25 per CD-R disk.  Sometimes it takes two CD-R disks to transfer one CD.

Steve N.