NFL Football ('14-'15)

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #360 on: 1 Dec 2014, 12:12 pm »
Before you hand Green Bay the Lombardi Trophy, keep in mind that New England was in a position to win that game right up until the final minutes. It wasn't any kind of severe beat down. Aaron Rodgers had the better game this time. We have no reason to expect a repeat to turn out the same way. Aaron Rodgers looks like the best QB in the NFL to me too, but that crown gets passed around continually. Ryan Fitzpatrick was yesterday's stats leader with 6 touchdown passes. Maybe he's the best.

jackman

« Reply #361 on: 1 Dec 2014, 12:27 pm »
Macro,
Makes no sense!  Maybe Fitz would be the best...if he got to play the Titans every week. I'm not putting the Packers in the SB just yet but seeing Rodgers and Brady on the same field was interesting.  It was easy to see which QB is superior at this stage. New England fans were quick to point out his much better Brady looked when he faced Manning at home earlier this year. I thought it would be fun to return the favor.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #362 on: 1 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm »
In both cases you are looking at the home field QB having the better outcome. Not unusual.

All you saw yesterday was which QB had a better day. It was a snapshot --- not a documentary.

cab

« Reply #363 on: 1 Dec 2014, 01:24 pm »
I look at how many dimensions a qb can beat you. Brady is strictly a pocket passer. Rodgers can run- how many rushing yards did Brady have yesterday? Rodgers does everything Brady does and more....Clearly at this point in time, Rodgers is the best...

Regarding yesterday's game, look at the time of possession and total yards. Green Bay punted once, and not until the 3rd quarter. If not for some great red zone defense, it would have been a blow out....

mav52

« Reply #364 on: 1 Dec 2014, 01:35 pm »
I agree Brady was a great player, ten years ago when he won his last Super Bowl. He also benefitted from playing in a great system. He is an accurate passer and follows direction well. He has one more ring than Rothlesberger and has probably won his last one.

Saying those other greats can't carry his jock is ludicrous.  When he retires, the next guy is going to be just as "great" playing for the best coach of all time.

Brady is only as great as his wife lets him be.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #365 on: 1 Dec 2014, 01:42 pm »
Brady is only as great as his wife lets him be.

Please explain how you arrived at that conclusion.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #366 on: 1 Dec 2014, 03:27 pm »
Can anyone name a New England Patriot's wide receiver, from the Tom Brady era, not named Randy Moss or taller than 5' 10"?

One thing I love about Brady is his commitment to his team and his passion to win.  He makes believers (most of the time  :nono:) that any team he and Belicheck are on can become winners.   I am an admitted Pats fan born and raised in New England.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #367 on: 1 Dec 2014, 04:27 pm »
You guys crack me up...  You cannot generalize from one game.
Tom Brady is one of the best QBs of all time, there is no question about that.  He is in an elite category shared by only a few.  Look at the career stats.
Aaron Rodgers is not there, yet.  He very may well be someday.

Who is the best QB playing currently in the NFL?  This changes on a week to week basis.  Heck, some weeks it is Philip Rivers (as much as I love to hate him).

Perhaps we will see Packers/Patriots Superbowl on a neutral site in AZ this season.  I suspect you guys should wait 'til then to crown your QB king.  The Pack is getting their act together at the right time, while Seattle, San Francisco, and Arizona are losing it.  But there is one team who may keep the Patriots out of the Superbowl as well...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #368 on: 1 Dec 2014, 05:29 pm »
You guys crack me up...  You cannot generalize from one game.
Tom Brady is one of the best QBs of all time, there is no question about that.  He is in an elite category shared by only a few.  Look at the career stats.
Aaron Rodgers is not there, yet.  He very may well be someday.

Who is the best QB playing currently in the NFL?  This changes on a week to week basis.  Heck, some weeks it is Philip Rivers (as much as I love to hate him).

Perhaps we will see Packers/Patriots Superbowl on a neutral site in AZ this season.  I suspect you guys should wait 'til then to crown your QB king.  The Pack is getting their act together at the right time, while Seattle, San Francisco, and Arizona are losing it.  But there is one team who may keep the Patriots out of the Superbowl as well...
And is that team in the 303 area code?

I half expect Irsay to sign a very well rested Ray Rice in hopes of making a Super Bowl run.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #369 on: 1 Dec 2014, 06:00 pm »
And is that team in the 303 area code?

I half expect Irsay to sign a very well rested Ray Rice in hopes of making a Super Bowl run.

Yes, of course injuries play a huge part in what happens late in the season, so anything can still happen.  If the Broncos get Danny Trevathan back at full strength for the last games and playoffs, and if Julius Thomas' ankle heals up strong, and if they do not lose any other players to injury, they will go into the playoffs with a much better team than last year (when fully half of the defensive starters were injured).  Heck, maybe even the Broncos cannot be stopped by John Fox's conservatism this time around (fake punt at 4th and long when leading by two touchdowns on the road!!!). 

jackman

« Reply #370 on: 1 Dec 2014, 07:22 pm »
Can anyone name a New England Patriot's wide receiver, from the Tom Brady era, not named Randy Moss or taller than 5' 10"?

One thing I love about Brady is his commitment to his team and his passion to win.  He makes believers (most of the time  :nono:) that any team he and Belicheck are on can become winners.   I am an admitted Pats fan born and raised in New England.

Do you consider Gronk a receiver?  He's one of the best receiving tight ends in the business.  Also, isn't Lafell well over 6 feet?  Hernandez was a good receiver before he started killing people and you already mentioned Moss, one of the all time greats in the NFL. Welker is a little guy but he was awesome in a Pats uniform (today's Welker is a shell of his former self).  I know where you are going but great QB's can make receivers look better than they really are.  Gronk is a stud on any team but Brady has always had good guys to throw to.  Not Megatron-good but good enough to put up numbers. 

Also, I'm not sure how much longer Brady and Belicheck can continue convincing people they can become winners. Their SB rings are going on ten years old. 

Anyone who watched the game yesterday could see the spread between Rodgers' talent and Brady's.  Brady is still a very accurate passer, he's in great physical shape and is a smart player.  Rodgers made some throws Brady could never make, even in his prime.  Rodgers' footwork and arm strength are beyond anything Brady could dream of. I'm not even a Packer fan but it was interesting to watch the current best (Rodgers) battle one of the best from another era. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #371 on: 1 Dec 2014, 08:11 pm »
Do you consider Gronk a receiver?  He's one of the best receiving tight ends in the business.  Also, isn't Lafell well over 6 feet?  Hernandez was a good receiver before he started killing people and you already mentioned Moss, one of the all time greats in the NFL. Welker is a little guy but he was awesome in a Pats uniform (today's Welker is a shell of his former self).  I know where you are going but great QB's can make receivers look better than they really are.  Gronk is a stud on any team but Brady has always had good guys to throw to.  Not Megatron-good but good enough to put up numbers. 

Also, I'm not sure how much longer Brady and Belicheck can continue convincing people they can become winners. Their SB rings are going on ten years old. 

Anyone who watched the game yesterday could see the spread between Rodgers' talent and Brady's.  Brady is still a very accurate passer, he's in great physical shape and is a smart player.  Rodgers made some throws Brady could never make, even in his prime.  Rodgers' footwork and arm strength are beyond anything Brady could dream of. I'm not even a Packer fan but it was interesting to watch the current best (Rodgers) battle one of the best from another era.

Jackman - You argue very well. You're logic is stellar and your points convincing.

But ---------- you tend to focus narrowly and assert tenaciously even when people are agreeing with you but less assertively. These are discussions, for some of us no more than musings, but you treat them like a murder trial.

I got your point the first time you offered it and have not presented an opposing argument other than to say I feel you are overstating your case prematurely. That is not meant to be seen as adversarial but you appear to see it thusly. I imagine others who are showing restraint in anointing Rodgers could be writing this as well.

For my part, I think AR is creating a legacy bit by bit. He hasn't eclipsed the older players yet and may never do so. Be patient. You are interrupting the movie with your claims about how it will end. Watch patiently and see how it unfolds.

In recent years we have seen 2 teams who barely made it into the playoffs explode onto center stage and take the Super Bowl. One of them was run by Eli Manning and the other by Joe Flacco. Both were fluky in my opinion but the results are there for all to see. You just never know. Green Bay could be knocked out in the first game they play.

And don't forget the zebras and all the subtle (and not so subtle) subterfuge they interject. Was there a pass interference call all day yesterday? I don't think I saw any. KC held the Bronco receivers on every play. And even the announcers pointed out and replayed a blatant push off by wide receiver Adams of Green Bay. Lots of variables to consider. It isn't all about one guy's skill set.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #372 on: 1 Dec 2014, 08:20 pm »

Gronk and Hernandez are both tight ends and Welker is 5'9"  :icon_lol:  I wasn't really trying to make a point.  Just having some fun with you guys. 

I will say that Rodgers looked like a man among boys yesterday.  However, I have seen Brees, Payton, and others look like that on their best days.  If Rodgers looked like that every game they wouldn't have three losses and he would certainly have more than one Super Bowl.

cab

« Reply #373 on: 1 Dec 2014, 09:08 pm »
Ask any GM who they would take if they could have any qb playing and it would be ARodgers hands down....No one else does everything he does as well as he does it...Yesterday's game was nothing unusual for Rodgers- he has been making those throws consistently pretty much his whole career, especially the last few seasons. Thing of beauty to watch that guy play....

jackman

« Reply #374 on: 1 Dec 2014, 09:36 pm »
Jackman - You argue very well. You're logic is stellar and your points convincing.

But ---------- you tend to focus narrowly and assert tenaciously even when people are agreeing with you but less assertively. These are discussions, for some of us no more than musings, but you treat them like a murder trial.

I got your point the first time you offered it and have not presented an opposing argument other than to say I feel you are overstating your case prematurely. That is not meant to be seen as adversarial but you appear to see it thusly. I imagine others who are showing restraint in anointing Rodgers could be writing this as well.

For my part, I think AR is creating a legacy bit by bit. He hasn't eclipsed the older players yet and may never do so. Be patient. You are interrupting the movie with your claims about how it will end. Watch patiently and see how it unfolds.

In recent years we have seen 2 teams who barely made it into the playoffs explode onto center stage and take the Super Bowl. One of them was run by Eli Manning and the other by Joe Flacco. Both were fluky in my opinion but the results are there for all to see. You just never know. Green Bay could be knocked out in the first game they play.

And don't forget the zebras and all the subtle (and not so subtle) subterfuge they interject. Was there a pass interference call all day yesterday? I don't think I saw any. KC held the Bronco receivers on every play. And even the announcers pointed out and replayed a blatant push off by wide receiver Adams of Green Bay. Lots of variables to consider. It isn't all about one guy's skill set.

You are right, I'm sorry.  Didn't mean to be antagonistic, it's a bad habit! 

I'm still REELING about the Pats not playing Blount as much as I expected yesterday and for ME not playing Hopkins (Texan's WR) who had the biggest fantasy football day I have ever seen...on my bench!  I'm going to lose this week and will be knocked out of first place.  It's not fair to take this out on Belicheck and the fine AC'ers!  Thanks

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #375 on: 1 Dec 2014, 10:05 pm »
Belichick has a plan   :?

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/12/in_patriots_loss_to_the_packers_bill_belichick_lul.html

Also, Andrew Luck is right up there.  He is one step away from being the next Aaron Rodgers.

Freo-1

« Reply #376 on: 1 Dec 2014, 10:11 pm »
If the Seahawks continue to play as well as they did last game against the 49'ers, they still may be the team to beat.  Their defense can stop any offense on a given Sunday.  They had some injuries, but they are healthy now. 

chip

« Reply #377 on: 1 Dec 2014, 10:23 pm »

Don't forget the Packers did that in 2010 as well I believe they just made it with the win against the bears last game of season and were on fire in the playoffs/superbowl.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #378 on: 1 Dec 2014, 10:47 pm »
Don't forget the Packers did that in 2010 as well I believe they just made it with the win against the bears last game of season and were on fire in the playoffs/superbowl.
I think you are correct. There you have it --- three exactly identical scenarios brought about by three of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Those guys are probably interchangeable. Certainly by virtue of the arguments presented here, they are one and the same skill wise. And let's not forget some of the other greatest QBs like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson, both Super Bowl winners.

I think that, fun as it may be, we cannot confidently predict outcomes in the NFL. Even the guys who have been trying professionally for decades, get it wrong more often than not.

Like they say, "That's why we play the games". No other way to find out.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #379 on: 1 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm »
You are right, I'm sorry.  Didn't mean to be antagonistic, it's a bad habit! 

I'm still REELING about the Pats not playing Blount as much as I expected yesterday and for ME not playing Hopkins (Texan's WR) who had the biggest fantasy football day I have ever seen...on my bench!  I'm going to lose this week and will be knocked out of first place.  It's not fair to take this out on Belicheck and the fine AC'ers!  Thanks

Jackman --- it's all due to my not being aware that you were fantasizing the whole time. Did you have Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson or Greg Hardy on your team? Those guys sure let down their owners this year.