CLARINET tube linestage is now available!

hagtech

« on: 9 Apr 2004, 10:23 pm »
Circuit boards in stock.  Order today!

http://www.hagtech.com/clarinet.html

jh :)

Ivan303

Any chance for an Octal version?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2004, 01:11 pm »
Would there be any parts chages other than tube socket rewire required to convert to 6SN7/7N7's?

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2004, 02:05 pm »
Jim,

Looks great!  Once I get settled into my new digs and have time to start projects again I might have to look into this project after doing the cornet.  The one thing that concerned me from the description on your website was the warning that only experienced technicians should attempt this kit.

Are you suggesting that this kit is more difficult that others? Or is that just a warning that a complete novice might have trouble completing the project?   I am definitely not an experienced technician but I have completed two of your easier kits without troubles and am slowly learning more and more electronics as I go.   I wonder if I would be up to the task?  I guess the cornet project might be the better tell-tale project, and seeing as I plan to build it first anyway maybe that will let me have a better idea.

tianguis

Help probably not necessary.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2004, 02:40 am »
Josh:
       If you've built any of Jim's stuff, you shouldn't have any difficulty with either the Cornet or Clarinet. In fact, the larger ones are easier than the Bugle, FryKleaner, or iRIAA due to working room and parts spacing. I'm in New York and intend to order a Clarinet, having already built the rest of the "half kits".

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Quote from: JoshK
Jim,

Looks great!  Once I get settled into my new digs and have time to start projects again I might have to look into this project after doing the cornet.  The one thing that concerned me from the description on your website was the warning that only experienced technicians should attempt this kit.

Are you suggesting that this kit is more difficult that others? Or is that just a warning that a complete novice might have trouble completing the project?   I am definitely not an experienced technician b ...

GRD

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2004, 04:53 am »
Josh,

I agree with Larry.  I'm really new at this but I have built the Bugle and Cornet.  After looking at the Clarinet manual, I think Jim has spent some time in the design and instructions to make this an accessible kit.  More parts and more detail but backed up by thoughtful layout and instructions.  

As for me, I'm serious about the Octal version.  I'm most challenged by the metalwork (I had a machine shop do my Cornet chassis).

Grant

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2004, 08:12 am »
I've made the new Clarinet even easier to assemble than the other kits.  I paid a lot of attention to that during the design.  Minimal chances to make errors.  

Nonetheless, it helps to have soldering and other building skills.  If you've done kits before, it will be easy.  The warning is important, though.    There is high voltage inside.  Be careful when the cover is off for testing.  And don't let your cat piss on it.

GarMan

Cornet and Clarinet, together in one?
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2004, 10:18 pm »
The power supply of the Cornet and Clarinet seem compatible.  Is there enough juice from the 370BX to power both in the same chassis?  Rather than build both as separates?

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2004, 07:25 am »
Garman,

Good question.  There might be.  Just barely.  The drawback is that you'll get higher ripple voltages because the R in the RC filtering would have to be greatly reduced.  Mostly in the heater circuit, which is what I am worried about.

So theoretically, you could probably get away with it.  I would imagine you put both boards into one large 12 x 16 chassis?  Then change some resistor values in the power filtering.

Interesting feature about the new "Lansing" chassis - they can be mated side-by-side to make a 19" rack size.  Order rackmount brackets separately.  Or I like the idea to stack them vertically using wooden legs.  Eventually, you could make a whole system (my "C"onstructor series) that forms it's own rack.  Rack and chassis become one.  Made me think of a new product today - the Conditioner - a power line filter module in similar chassis.  One switch could fire up the whole rack.

Tone Deaf

Space
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2004, 08:02 am »
Hi Jim,

You were thinking about using a remote controlled DACT attenuator in the Clarinet at one time.   Will one fit in using an 8 x 12 x 3 enclosure?

Thanks

Glyn

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2004, 05:29 am »
Yes, originally I tried to make the DACT attenuator & BENT remote control an option.  But it just didn't work.  The design had to go one way or the other.  Compatibility with both was too much of a compromise.  And I didn't want to delay things any further.

You can jamb in a number of esoteric attenuators, there is about 2 inches of room to play with.  Same for select switch.  If you are ambitious, you can probably install the BENT remote control too.  It just won't be easy.