Planar Home Theater

AvsFan

Re: Planar Home Theater
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jul 2019, 05:52 pm »

That's SPECTACULAR! Those planars are so big it makes a 113 inch screen look small. LOL  :D

AvsFan

Re: magnepan center channel
« Reply #41 on: 29 Jul 2019, 06:07 pm »
Magnepan suggests, as their highest level of home theater center channel, the Tri-Center. Three of their bipolar speakers are mounted on the wall, one above and two on the sides of a wall mounted TV monitor (what happens to the back-waves?). I haven't heard this 'tri-center', but can't imagine that it compares to two standard Maggies, 1.6/1.7s, or even better 3.6/3.7s, operating, as intended, some feet away from the rear (and side) walls. That's what I've got going (two 3.6s), operating in mono, behind a sound transparent screen, each three feet from the rear and side walls. I guess this arrangement is too esoteric to promote, but it is incredible. I've spent many years trying to perfect my center channel, the most important in cinema sound: I've even tried two conventional speakers (Stereophile class A), vertically mounted one above and one below the screen, and also as a  pair behind a sound transparent screen. But nothing compares to my present maggies (3.6) located behind a sound transparent screen with room on all sides. I can't explain why they work so well, I think I just got lucky experimenting.

I wish I had enough room to put some Maggie's behind a transparent screen. But I do not. I am considering trying another pair of LRS's and mounting them on the wall with some extreme toe in. Wendell at Magnepan suggested that. And forgive me if you have already covered this, but how exactly are you running the wiring and have the speakers set up? Do you have left speaker channel hookup for center going to left speaker and right channel speaker hook up for center going to the right speaker?

Paul McNeil

McNeil Maggie-based Home Theater Poland
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jul 2019, 07:35 pm »
I’ve moved my beloved Maggies, 3.6 and 1.7, from the USA to Poland, without damage!

Here I have a really great audio space, an old German school room, plus 4 subwoofers (two SVS PC13 and two NHT Xd: all sealed mode except for one of the PC13s, which operates in the 17hz mode, crossed over to the other PC13, operating in sealed mode, which gives ample and articulate bass below 20hz in my very large room). The 3.6s, my front left and rights, are 1m from the front wall, 2m from side walls and 2m from the listening positions in a 7m x 15m x 3.5 room.

The 3.6s are powered and crossed over by Crown XLS 2500s. The preamp/processor is a Marantz AVR 8805 and I use it to for Audyssey XT32equalization. I cross the 3.6s over at 80hz.

The center channel is handled by two NHT XDS speakers, these and the 3.6s behind a sound transparent screen, the only way to go if you can...

The 1.7s are used as surrounds in a 5.4.2 system. 4 Marin Logins are used as height speakers.

The sound is to die for, in my opinion...

AvsFan

Re: McNeil Maggie-based Home Theater Poland
« Reply #43 on: 1 Aug 2019, 03:18 pm »
I’ve moved my beloved Maggies, 3.6 and 1.7, from the USA to Poland, without damage!

Here I have a really great audio space, an old German school room, plus 4 subwoofers (two SVS PC13 and two NHT Xd: all sealed mode except for one of the PC13s, which operates in the 17hz mode, crossed over to the other PC13, operating in sealed mode, which gives ample and articulate bass below 20hz in my very large room). The 3.6s, my front left and rights, are 1m from the front wall, 2m from side walls and 2m from the listening positions in a 7m x 15m x 3.5 room.

The 3.6s are powered and crossed over by Crown XLS 2500s. The preamp/processor is a Marantz AVR 8805 and I use it to for Audyssey XT32equalization. I cross the 3.6s over at 80hz.

The center channel is handled by two NHT XDS speakers, these and the 3.6s behind a sound transparent screen, the only way to go if you can...

I am a little lost here. You are using 4 speakers to make a center channel image?

The 1.7s are used as surrounds in a 5.4.2 system. 4 Marin Logins are used as height speakers.

AvsFan

« Reply #44 on: 1 Aug 2019, 03:19 pm »

4 Speakers for the center channel?

kmmd

« Reply #45 on: 1 Aug 2019, 03:59 pm »
Congrats on moving such large speakers Paul.  Glad that you’re able to enjoy the Maggie’s overseas!

4 Speakers for the center channel?

”The center channel is handled by two NHT XDS speakers”

I use 3 Maggie’s for my center channel.  A pair of MG10QR’s are wired in series and a single CC3 is in the middle.  A ModWright KWA150SE running in stereo is powering the speakers.  There’s a Velodyne DD12 center channel sub as well.

AvsFan

« Reply #46 on: 1 Aug 2019, 05:03 pm »
Congrats on moving such large speakers Paul.  Glad that you’re able to enjoy the Maggie’s overseas!

I use 3 Maggie’s for my center channel.  A pair of MG10QR’s are wired in series and a single CC3 is in the middle.  A ModWright KWA150SE running in stereo is powering the speakers.  There’s a Velodyne DD12 center channel sub as well.

Can you explain that? Wired in series? What exactly does that mean? Based upon common sense, is it the red speaker wire going from the red speaker output on the amp to the red speaker connection on each speaker then the same for the black one?
And then I am assuming since you have a center channel specific sub, you have that hooked up via speaker level connection?

And ironically, I have been reading about that today. Theaters using more than one speaker for the center. Steve Guttenbergs YouTube video for today even mentions that. His friends HT uses 3 centers.

So in my situation.  My screen is mounted where there is no room to put a center above or below the screen, so I have been using my LRS's as the center but as a stero pair. I just set my AVR to no center so it's throwing that phantom center image right now, which I do say, it sounds pretty good. But I am looking at buying another pair of LRS's and mounting them on the wall on each side of the screen and toeing them in significantly to actually have a real center. Do you think that would work good?

kmmd

« Reply #47 on: 1 Aug 2019, 05:30 pm »
Can you explain that? Wired in series? What exactly does that mean? Based upon common sense, is it the red speaker wire going from the red speaker output on the amp to the red speaker connection on each speaker then the same for the black one?
And then I am assuming since you have a center channel specific sub, you have that hooked up via speaker level connection?

And ironically, I have been reading about that today. Theaters using more than one speaker for the center. Steve Guttenbergs YouTube video for today even mentions that. His friends HT uses 3 centers.

So in my situation.  My screen is mounted where there is no room to put a center above or below the screen, so I have been using my LRS's as the center but as a stero pair. I just set my AVR to no center so it's throwing that phantom center image right now, which I do say, it sounds pretty good. But I am looking at buying another pair of LRS's and mounting them on the wall on each side of the screen and toeing them in significantly to actually have a real center. Do you think that would work good?

Yes, the MG10's are wired as follows.  + left to + of amp. - of left speaker going to + of right speaker.  - of right speaker back to amp - yielding an impedance of 8 ohms for the pair.  The amp has both inputs connected by a Wireworld Oasis 7 Y-cable from the center output of myTheta.

Yes, the center channel sub is using the speaker output from the center channel amp crossed over at 80Hz.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd mount LRS Maggies to a wall.  I think the Maggie Tri center concept using the MGCC 2's may be an alternative.  I've found that the taller the Maggie for a center channel, the easier it is to integrate and complement with the main Maggie's.  Just my $0.02

https://www.magnepan.com/tri-center

Oh btw, your scenario of having the positive from the amp to the positives of both speakers gives you a parallel configuration.  This presents a lower impedance to the amp which may not be good.

Paul McNeil

« Reply #48 on: 1 Aug 2019, 06:22 pm »

This is the Magnepan-suggested tri-speaker center?...sounds awesome!

kmmd

« Reply #49 on: 1 Aug 2019, 06:34 pm »
This is the Magnepan-suggested tri-speaker center?...sounds awesome!

Yup, it sure is.  I’ve been running it since it was introduced over on the Asylum over a decade ago.  I posted my impressions at that time.  I wonder if they still have this setup in the Mandalay Bay.   :P

Addendum:
https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=mug&n=141501&highlight=Tricenter&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl

Geez, my electronics have changed a bit since then, but the speakers haven’t.  :lol:

AvsFan

« Reply #50 on: 1 Aug 2019, 08:06 pm »
Thanks for all the info. I have looked at the tri-center package before and it looks sweet! But in my situation, it's not going to work. I have no room for the center above or below the screen. So the ONLY option I have is the dual approach and that would be mounting them on each side of the screen.

Nick V

« Reply #51 on: 22 Nov 2019, 05:40 pm »
A different kind of planar setup than most on here (hybrid) but I'm having great success with the BG Radia 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup in our master bedroom. Shame they went out of business.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #52 on: 22 Nov 2019, 07:01 pm »
  Great product for HT to bad they are gone. I like  car audio speakers for that purpose. Works quite well. In the wall and out of the way.

charles

Imetungs

« Reply #53 on: 25 Apr 2020, 01:08 pm »
Home theater is way to enjoy cinema feature in home and it is crowd less.For this point You set up is awesome and very useful..

MarcL

« Reply #54 on: 12 Sep 2020, 09:45 pm »
Hi Everyone ... new to this forum.  I've been experimenting with speaker positions and home theater configurations in my system and recently added Dolby Atmos top speakers.  Here are two configurations that I've tried so far.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #55 on: 28 Oct 2022, 10:19 pm »
Somehow or other I find myself with a pair of MGMC1s headed my way to replace my ancient MMGs that are up on hinges.
I'm looking forward to hearing these.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #56 on: 4 Nov 2022, 12:50 am »
The MC1s worked out well, now the sound is consistent going from the CC3 center channel to the MMG-W to the MC1.
The MMGs really needed a bright sounding amp to perk up and it wasn't meant to be hung up on hinges close to a wall.