Piccolo Builders Question

analog97

Piccolo Builders Question
« on: 28 Nov 2009, 06:25 pm »
I am looking for an 8-pin socket for the IC pump for the Piccolo.  Tubesforever had recommended a socket for this, so I wanted to add one to my Digikey order.  Then I got confused.  :oops: Does any one know if  ED3308-ND would work?   Digikey has a lot of sockets!!  Any recommendations greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advance.   :)

dnewman

Re: Piccolo Builders Question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2009, 10:24 pm »
I am looking for an 8-pin socket for the IC pump for the Piccolo.  Tubesforever had recommended a socket for this, so I wanted to add one to my Digikey order.  Then I got confused.  :oops: Does any one know if  ED3308-ND would work?   Digikey has a lot of sockets!!  Any recommendations greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advance.   :)

I've never built a Piccolo.  That said, if you're referring to U1 then know that that is packaged as an 8 pin DIP (dual inline package).  So any garden variety 8pin DIP socket will work.  And, personally I don't believe that using, say, 5 micron gold plated pins vs. 9 micron gold plate will make any difference.

So yes, ED3308-ND will work as will its RoHS replacement, ED90032-ND.  Personally, I don't like those particular DIP sockets as I've had problems with the pins on some packages not fitting them well.  But with only 8 pins to insert, you won't have any problem.  Just remember that with DIP packages you need to bend the pins inward a tad on each side -- make them actually be at 90 degrees.  Just lay the package on its side on your table/work surface and apply a small amount of pressure.  Repeat on the other side.

BTW, if you want a lower profile socket -- for no particular reason -- you can go with ED90208-ND.  It happens to be about twice as expensive ($1.20) but shipping is going to be the real cost (if you're ordering just a single socket).  BTW, Radio Shack often sells 8pin DIP sockets.  Fry's certainly does, but you'd have to be on the West Coast to have one of those nearby.

Dan

P.S. If you pull up the Digikey detail on a particular part, they have a section which tells you what package the part comes in.  In this case, it tells you it's in an DIP-8 with 0.3 inch spacing.  That last part is the spacing between the two rows of pins.  For a DIP package, the pins within a row are 0.1" apart.  But, my point is that armed with the package name you are then better equipped to determine what the correct socket is.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2009, 02:02 am by dnewman »

analog97

Re: Piccolo Builders Question
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2009, 12:45 am »
Thanks very much for your time Dan.