Questions on Cornet grounding

TChung

« on: 4 Jan 2004, 03:33 am »
I intend to follow the construction manual as closely as possible. After reading the grounding instructions in the manual I still have some basic grounding questions.  I have also read the thread previously posted by GRD on the similar subject but I still do not have the complete picture.

1) Quoting from the manual: "Only the two mounting holes (of the PCB) closest to the RCA jacks are grounded. ..... It is not necessary to use the standoffs to make a ground connection.  Nylon standoffs are fine."  It seems Jim is suggesting there are 2 options: using metal standoffs (make gound) or using nylon standoffs (no ground).  Which is the recommended option?

2) The manual does not mention whether one should use the nylon isolation washers to mount the RCA jacks on the chassis or let the RCA bodies contacting the chassis.  Should I use the isolation washers?  I understand the part where I have to run a ground wire from each RCA shield and from the the binding post (the grounding post between the RCA jacks) to the PCB.

Appreciate any help.

Tom

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2004, 05:24 am »
1) I recommend not to use grounding via standoffs.

2) If the RCA jacks are installed per the drawings in the manual, then they do not need to be isolated.  If you mount them elsewhere, use the insulated type.

jh :)

TChung

It is very clear to me now.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2004, 05:35 am »
Jim,

Thanks for the clarification.

Tom