"Thump" When Switching Gain on Piccolo

NicktheKnife

"Thump" When Switching Gain on Piccolo
« on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:41 pm »
I've been using the Piccolo for the last day.  Playing with the loading and gain settings.  I noticed that with the volume up at normal listening levels if I switch the gain setting either up or down I hear a loud "thump" coming thru the loudspeakers where I don't hear anything when using the gain switch on my Rogue Model 99 Pre amp.  Just wondering if this is normal for the Piccolo.

Wayner

Re: "Thump" When Switching Gain on Piccolo
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »
What you are hearing is a break before make effect switching from one mode to the other. A "de-energizing to energizing effect if you will. This could be eliminated using a capacitor to absorb the spike, but would then be in the circuit. Best to just switch with volume down.

Wayner  :D

NicktheKnife

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:41 pm »
Yeah, that is what I have been doing in the mean time.  No problem.  Just wanted to know if it was normal.  This was my first DIY/Kit project that I've done.  Everything went smooth and I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up.  No other problems noted so far.  Thanks,  Nick

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:57 pm »
Nick,

I'm not that familiar with Hagerman products, but I think this is your problem. If it does bothers you, I'm sure Hagerman would entertain your comments and perhaps have a suggestion, such as mine or something else even better.

Happy spinnin'

Wayner

tketcham

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2009, 01:47 am »
Hi, Nick,

Wayner has the right idea. Just turn the volume down before changing gain. I wouldn't mess with the Piccolo to add a non-thump feature.  As you probably have noticed, you can change loading (resistance) settings on-the-fly. One of the best features of the Piccolo in my opinion.

Tom

NicktheKnife

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2009, 02:46 am »
The "thump" is really not a problem.  I just wanted to make sure it was normal.  You are right though,  I've had the Piccolo in my system a little more than a day now and I really am enjoying the adjustable loading feature.  Thanks,  Nick

tubesforever

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:00 am »
After the newness wears off in a few weeks you will find the gain setting that works best in your system.

From then on you will basically be using the loading resistance switch to find what works best on which albums.    This is a big fun quotient with the Piccolo.    In fact once you have selected a gain and a cartridge you could reconfigure the resistors to enable you to micro tune the phono section.

It is fascinating to me how good the Hagerman gear sounds.  Obviously it must be some sort of mass hysteria!  ;-)