Clarinet for Christmas

alpa6

Re: Clarinet for Christmas
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jan 2009, 06:19 am »
Good to hear about your results with the telefunkin tubes.I was thinking of going mullard but i will go tele instead!

ronpod

« Reply #21 on: 1 Jan 2009, 03:11 pm »
Bill, as long as you are taking the bolt with the star washer and taking this to your earth ground then you are properly protecting yourself.  That should make for a quieter and happier transformer.

RonPod.  You need to fill us in on what you've listened to? 

In the upper right corner of this image is a crimp-on quick disconnect that is the grey ground wire from the tranny to the chassis grounding lug. I put the disconnect on so the transformer can be more easily removed from the chassis. I have been thinking about Tubes comment to Bill about connecting the transformer in chain fashion to the chassis grounding lug. What would happen if I ran another wire to the chassis grounding lug from the transformer body, connected with a star terminal at the bolt that now has a star bolt? Would I need to "float" the transformer mounting bolts from the chassis? Am I risking a ground loop? The idea is to star ground both the transformer internally and externally. This is really a question of how the transformer is physically built. My experiments tell me that the transformer induces a high level of noise and I wish to reduce this as much as possible. Any suggestions?

I'm lovin' the new Clarinet... Very clean sounding with the tube fullness and a tremendous reduction in circuitry that was previously degrading the sound.

Been spinning a lot of vinyl;

Dvorak; New World Symphony
DG catalog ~ Karajan conducting the Berlin; Mozart, Bach, and Brahms
Numerous Nonesuch classical selections

Rosanne Cash; Seven Year Ache
Merl Hagger
Hank Williams

RickieLee Jones; Pirates (blew my tweeter on this one!?; lucky to have a spare)
Beatles; White Album (thrashed vinyl but sounds exceptable with Haggerman equipment)
Allmond Brothers; Live at Filmore East
Elton John; Tumbleweed Connection (or is it Junction)
The National; Boxer (CD)
Stars; In the Bedroom After the War (CD)

Oliver Nelson; The Blues and the Abstract Truth ~ in memory of Freddie Hubbard
John Coltrane; Ascension
Coleman Hawkins; Body and Soul
Larry Young; Unity
The Modern Jazz Quartet; The Last Concert
Oscar Peterson; We Get Requests
Andrew Hill; Point of Departure

And a bunch more...
All sounding very clear with improve dynamics and larger S/N ratio.

Happy New Year to all the ardent followers of the Jim Hagerman audio design school!

tubesforever

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2009, 05:39 am »
Regarding grounds.

Lets look at some good approaches.  If your turntable, tonearm, cartridge or other equipment needs to be grounded they should go to the ground post on the back of the piece near the RCA inputs.

This should be the star ground point.  I take this ground and take it to the board, the earth ground of the IEC jack and the ground wire for the transformer. 

This will come in handy if you are ever trying to track down a ground loop hum.  Basically if the device can see a closer return to earth it will take it.  Make that ground post your earth ground and the closest path to ground.

Hope this helps.

My Hagermans are sounding so nice now that I just shudder to think of all those wasted listening years.  Jim tried to tell me as much something like 3 years ago.  I should have done a lot more research a lot sooner.

Have a great new year everyone! 

One last note to anyone reading!  Buy another Hagerman kit quick.  Economic recovery is what the global economy needs at this time.  Wall paper can wait.  Furniture and kitchen upgrades can wait.   Buying a new car.... phoey.....build a Hagerman and you will spend less time driving around.  Buying your next Hagerman kit should be your priority to help return our economy to sustained growth.

Buy a Hagerman and save the world!   That is my motto for 2009!

ronpod

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:06 am »
Well Tubes, it seems that you are well grounded and have some fiscal thoughts as well.

hagtech

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2009, 07:02 pm »
Buy a Hagerman and save the world

Indeed!  Not only will this save the economy, but will likely end global warming and create world peace.   :wink:

jh

ronpod

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jan 2009, 03:43 am »
Buy a Hagerman and save the world

Indeed!  Not only will this save the economy, but will likely end global warming and create world peace.   

Finding ground loops in your equipment may not bring the benefits of buying a Hagerman;
But here is a link that might help you find the source of those irritating hums and buzzes:
http://www.jensentransformers.com/an/generic%20seminar.pdf