Bugle issue - Help please

strider

Bugle issue - Help please
« on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:44 pm »
Every so often, when I'm listening to some vinyl through my Bugle, the left channel will suddenly get very loud compared to the right. If I strike the top of the enclosure I have it in, the level will go back to the same as the right side. It seems to happen after the third album side, but not like clockwork. It's occurred with different combinations of components and cables. I've also changed batteries from side to side (I'm using SLAs).

From my memory it began happening at some point after I put the board into an enclosure, but not necessarily immediately after that.

If anybody could give me a suggestion on how to begin fault tracing this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ben

analog97

Re: Bugle issue - Help please
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2009, 10:21 pm »
If I strike the top of the enclosure I have it in, the level will go back to the same as the right side.

Wow, that smells of something loose.  Re-check connections and solder joints would be the advice of this novice.

strider

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2009, 02:55 pm »
I've redone all the leads for everything I moved off the board. Looks like it's time to flip it over and check out the underside.

I don't mind looking like Fonzie every once in a while, but damn if that channel doesn't start blaring every time I really get lost in the music. Scares the begeezus out of me!

Thanks,

Ben

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2009, 07:06 pm »
Broken solder joint?  Maybe one of the EQ caps.

jh