Very Satisfied Cornet Builder

tianguis

« on: 13 Aug 2003, 10:11 pm »
I completed a Cornet about 4 weeks ago and have put about 100 hours on it.   I posted on AA(Vinyl) right after it was completed. JoshK quoted from that post here. I've also recently posted a formal review on AA (Vinyl).
I didn't get into tube rolling conclusions there, but I thought some of you might find them interesting.
I started out with Sovtek 12AX7's, Mullard CV4003 and GE 5y3GT. The first change was to a Mullard GZ34, then a GZ37. The GZ34 was the clear winner of the bunch, providing a much "larger" sound, very full in the mid-range.
 Next, I tried an Amperex Holland BB 12AU7, which clearly beat the Mullard in speed, clarity and HF extension. (I also tried Cifte and RCA side-getter, with less than stunning results). Then, a Tektronix-boxed Amperex Holland 12AU7/ECC82 non BB, which beat the BB in detail. Last, a NOS GE JG-5814A from 1953. This has better extension at both ends, better clarity and detail and great mids. A clear winner.
I swapped out the Sovteks for some NOS RCA 5751's from the '50's. Huge improvement. Lastly, NOS GE JHS 5751WA from 1952. These will stay.
I must say, I'm surprised by the GE's. Not exactly what are commonly called "audiophile" tubes and still affordable (but you gotta hunt for 'em!). All the GE's have triple micas and black plates. These tube-rolling sessions were spread out over two weeks and others were always present.
I built the Cornet with NOS Jensen coppers (tight fit!) I found on eBay. I'm using Lundahl step-up transformers from K&K.
All in all, I couldn't be happier. Right from initial turn-on, the sounds coming from my modest rig have been stunning. It continues to improve at a more modest pace and every day I look forward to firing it up and cueing the tonearm (like, right now!).

Regards,
Larry Welsh

kylek

« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2003, 03:39 am »
Won't the lower gain of thr 5751's affect the RIAA equalization?

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2003, 05:04 am »
Yes, the gain and EQ will be slightly affected, but not as much as you might think.  Without the cathode byass cap (one reason this machine sounds so good) the rp of the tube is much higher and therefore not as involved in the EQ as much.  The plate and following grid resistance are far more dominant.  So a 10% change in tube gives maybe a 3% change in EQ, which then translates into maybe 1/2 a dB.  You'll get more dramatic EQ shifts by moving your listening chair 1 foot to the rear.

The lower gain and lower plate resistance of the 5751 will tilt the EQ up a hair in treble and down a hair in bass.  Probably more "air" and "definition", if you had to use audiophile terms.  As the tube ages, the EQ will eventualy fall into place.

Usually I don't recommend rolling with different types, but the Cornet is quite forgiving.  

jh

farsch

Help Cornet
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2003, 01:23 pm »
Jim isn't reachabkle via mail
I have soldered now the PCB and connected the BX 370 trannie to the
plugs at the PCB.

2 questions on that:

1. does it make a difference which one of the 2 Red, Yellow, green cables I
connect to which of the 2 yellow, red, green plugs at the PCB?

2. I can't find yellow/brwn on the BX 370, do I need Violet of the bx 370?

Best

René

pretzel_logic

Re: Help Cornet
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2003, 03:09 pm »
Rene,

Did you mean a 270 BX, that is what the parts list calls for.  I haven't gotten to the point of installing the trans but will look it over.

Brian

farsch

Re: Help Cornet
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2003, 04:09 pm »
i use the 370 for 240 volts.
thank you

Quote from: pretzel_logic
Rene,

Did you mean a 270 BX, that is what the parts list calls for.  I haven't gotten to the point of installing the trans but will look it over.

Brian