Cornet Tubes

mgalusha

Cornet Tubes
« on: 18 Jun 2003, 03:38 am »
Jim,

As you know I have ordered the Cornet kit and would like to know if you have any suggestions or preferances for the tubes. I posted here so that others may benefit from your response.

Thanks,

Mike

hagtech

Built for rolling...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2003, 06:51 am »
I haven't played with NOS tubes in the Cornet as much as I have with the Trumpet.  Using that circuit I can tell you there are definate changes/improvements to be had.  

Using good 'ol American tubes like the GE and Sylvania make the bass a little more solid.  Maybe not louder, but more noticeable.  A bit more heft and wieght to the music.  Nice balance and overall presentation is exceptionally smooth.  I felt the treble was a tad softer and less agressive than the stock tubes.  

Sorry, have not tried any Telefunken or other expensive "uber-tubes".  I'm sure they work just fine.  No reason they won't sound great.

Input tubes are the most sensitive and need to be the quietest with low microphony.  Other improvements you can do are tube vibration dampers.

jh

mgalusha

Cornet Tubes
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2003, 12:58 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Jim. I have some RCA, Mullard, Sovtek and Philips JAN to try. I may have to pick up some GE or Sylvania's to experiment with. I'm sure this will be enjoyable.

Mike

hagtech

Cornet Tubes
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2003, 11:24 pm »
Finally did some rolling.  Wow, sure can make a big difference in tonality and presentation.  Most dramatic changes were with the 12AU7 cathode follower in the output stage.  THAT's the tube to roll first.  Also, rectifier made a bit of difference.

If you can get them, NOS from the 50's and 60's will probably perform the best.  

jh