Sneak Peek - BP1 Monitor

kingdeezie

Re: Sneak Peek - BP1 Monitor
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2023, 04:43 pm »
Are these usable in a nearfield set-up? What would the minimum listening distance be from the speakers?

jsalk

« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2023, 07:54 pm »
They are designed to sum at 39" (1 meter).  You may be able to use them even closer, but I haven't tried them closer than 1 meter.  I can try them out if you'd like and let you know if 39" is too great a distance for you.

- Jim

artofaudio

« Reply #22 on: 9 Feb 2023, 12:08 am »
Ordered a pair today.  I’m going to pair up with a Salk-Rythmik 12.  Jim said that is a killer combo! 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 9 Feb 2023, 07:13 pm »
Jim,

When you add in the costs of good stands, there is a relatively small price difference between the BP-1 monitors and the BePure-2 Floorstanders.

The floorstanders are more efficent and play a little lower...why go with the monitors?

George

artofaudio

« Reply #24 on: 9 Feb 2023, 09:03 pm »
That’s a good question.  I would’ve ordered the floorstanders from Jim if I did not have a Rythmik 12 coming. 

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #25 on: 9 Feb 2023, 10:43 pm »
Jim,

When you add in the costs of good stands, there is a relatively small price difference between the BP-1 monitors and the BePure-2 Floorstanders.

The floorstanders are more efficent and play a little lower...why go with the monitors?

George

I think it may have to do with room size. Sometimes a larger speaker can excite the room too much vs a smaller speaker. As we know, sound isn't just what projects from the speaker but how it interacts with the space. Depending on the room, matching smaller speakers with a sub (or especially 2) can be really beneficial to evening out room response.

AllanS

« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2023, 01:57 am »
I’d also heard another good reason in another forum that stand mounts are a better choice in apartments if you care about disturbing neighbors.

Rshorb

« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2023, 03:39 am »
I don’t see how that makes a difference. My smallest pair of Salks, the Silk Monitors still rattle pictures on my walls. And that is them sitting on rubber pads withsand filled stands with spikes. 

AllanS

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2023, 12:30 pm »
As I understood stand mounts are decoupled from the floor..

jsalk

« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2023, 08:12 pm »
Jim,

George

George -

Some people simply prefer monitor speakers.  I can't tell you how many times customers told me that monitor speakers sound better than floor-standers.  I don't understand how a speaker driver can tell if the cabinet goes to the floor or the top of the stand.  I think this idea was born out of the fact that there are very many poorly designed 3-way speakers on the market.  It is much easier to voice a 2-way monitor than a 3-way floor-stander so, on the whole, the argument makes some sense.  This is a strongly held position by some and who am I to argue.

Another reason I commonly hear is that "I already have a sub and don't need anything that plays deep, so I don't need a floor-stander." 

They may have a counter or desk they want to set the speakers on and floor-standers don't make sense.  This is often the case with people living in small apartments.  Or the room is so small, they are worried about floor-standers overwhelming the room with deep bass (so they don't want all the bass extension possible).

So there are many reasons someone would choose a monitor speaker as opposed to a floor-stander.  Our job is to provide them with exactly what they want.  Now, if they want something that will not work for them, we won't hesitate to do our best to explain why that might be the case.  But in the end, it is their choice.  And keep in mind that a great 2-way speaker integrated well with a subwoofer or two can produce stellar results.

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 10 Feb 2023, 08:42 pm »
Jim,

I was asking less of a general question and more on the two particular models I mentioned.

That said, thank you for taking the time to respond.

George

rmdtexas

« Reply #31 on: 13 Feb 2023, 06:31 pm »
in case anyone thinks the BP1 is expensive look at these 2-way monitors with the Purifi 6.5 and dual passives.

https://www.ecoustics.com/products/lyngdorf-audio-cue-100/

"The suggested retail price for a pair of Lyngdorf Cue-100 speakers in Europe is 19,980 Euros ($21,328 US). "

artofaudio

« Reply #32 on: 13 Feb 2023, 11:51 pm »
The Lyngdorf Cue-100 is not very efficient.  I wonder why?

Description: Standmount 2-way loudspeaker
Power Handling: Up to 250 W
Tweeter: Air Motion Transformer, Kapton foil, Neodymium magnet
Midrange/woofer: 18 cm / 6.5-inch Aluminum cone, 39 mm 4-layer copper-clad aluminum voice coil on fiberglass former, Neutral surround geometry, Die-cast vented basket
Passive Radiators: 2 x 18 cm / 6.5-inch passive radiator, Aluminum cone, Neutral surround geometry, Die-cast vented basket
Enclosure: MDF, Oak
Frequency response: 35 – 22,000 Hz (-3 dB)
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Sensitivity: 83 dB 2.83 v/ 1 m
Crossover Frequency: 2300 Hz
Connections: Gold-plated speaker binding posts
Recommended Placement: On stand (included)
Dimensions w/o Stand (WHD): 350 x 513 x 329 mm/13.8 x 20.2 x 13 inches 
Dimensions w/Stand (WHD): 597 x 1196 x 520 mm/23.5 x 47.1 x 20.5 inches (including stand)
Weight w/o Stand: 13.8 kg/30.4 lbs
Weight w/Stand: 16.2 kg/35.7 lbs
Base Finish Options: White/Oak, Black/Oak, White/White, Black/Black
Stand Legs: Oak

Beatlebum

« Reply #33 on: 21 Mar 2023, 12:23 pm »
Currently have a pair of BePure 1's in Curly Cherry on order.

rmdtexas

« Reply #34 on: 21 Mar 2023, 07:57 pm »
@Beatlebum.  congrats. 

Gfontes1

« Reply #35 on: 21 Mar 2023, 11:53 pm »
How long is the wait?

artofaudio

« Reply #36 on: 22 Mar 2023, 02:34 pm »
@Beatlebum - Congrats!  I’ve a pair in Walnut with burnt edges on order.  I plan to use the Salk/Rythmik 12 sub with them. 
Have you decided what speaker stands you will use?  I’m looking at the Target Audio  HR or MR series.

What electronics will you be using with them?

artofaudio

« Reply #37 on: 24 Mar 2023, 08:21 pm »
Jim,

What brand of speaker stands did you use for the BP1 photo? Can you post a pic with the speaker? I’m still undecided on stands.

jsalk

« Reply #38 on: 25 Mar 2023, 02:51 pm »
Jim,

What brand of speaker stands did you use for the BP1 photo? Can you post a pic with the speaker? I’m still undecided on stands.

I used a pair of stands that were once available from Parts Express.  They are nice steel stands that cost around $100.  I liked these stands enough to purchase a couple of pairs.  Unfortunately, they are no longer being made.  If they were, I would certainly recommend them.

The problem is, I don't need any more stands, so I don't know what's out there now.  Any other stands I have experience with are stands we built.  But that is not a practical solution unless you want them to match the speakers.  We don't mass-produce stands, so our custom stands are fairly expensive.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this.

- Jim

Beatlebum

« Reply #39 on: 26 Mar 2023, 09:20 am »
@artofaudio,

Congrats to you as well.

Regarding stands, I really like dealing with Noel at Skylan. His products can be somewhat customized and he's great to deal with. Also looking in to Sound Anchors as well as Solid Steel speaker stands.

I'll pair the BePure 1's with my Simaudio Moon 340i D3PX integrated amp to start with.

Cheers,

Tim