Rythmik L12 setup?

vondy

Rythmik L12 setup?
« on: 25 Jun 2022, 08:10 pm »
Would anyone take offense if I posted a question about setting up a pair of Rythmik L12s here? I know this is GR but they are pretty similar and share the same amps it seems. If so, just delete.

Just received and setup 2 Rythmik L12 subs. I'm a newbie at subs so looking for advice.

I followed the setup guide provided by Rythmik using Dirac on my NAD T-778. Have not moved any knobs or switches on the subs, except the Low Music bass extension one to see the difference with music.

The subs seem fine for movies so far from my small amount of testing. I don't foresee needing to do much more.

Music is what I'm concerned with at the moment. I got the sealed subs because I'm more of a music fan than an HT one. My mains are Spatial M3 Turbo S open baffles. They are rated down to 30hz and I really have no complaints on how low they go for music. But since I decided to get subs for HT anyway I figured I could incorporate them into my music listening as well.

I know when they are setup well you don't really know they are even there. Right now, with music, it's seems as though they are doing nothing. I was hoping to get a bit more deep end.

I'm would say I'm still a novice at Dirac and I really don't even know what the subs are crossed over at. My AVR just has sub on or off, no crossover settings unlike all the other speakers which you can change. As I'm guessing most of you Rythmik folks know, when connecting via LFE the crossover settings on the sub amp have no function.

I have not messed with PEQ or anything, not even sure what any of it is.

I'm posting images of Dirac's measurements / corrections for the subs and mains. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.

Running a 5.2.2 system for HT and 2.2 Music.

Few notes:
My NAD has 2 sub outputs but both are grouped together, like a built-in splitter.

My AVR / Dirac also has the subs set a 0ms for distance. I think that is OK but not sure.

I tried running my mains as small and large, right now they are in large because I was just missing to much with them as small. Dirac automatically selected large but this I can change on the AVR.

WGH

Re: Rythmik L12 setup?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2022, 10:12 pm »
The first step would be to see if stereo sounds better with Dirac on or off with all digital processing disabled and/or using Analog Bypass. Do you have an analog source?

ANALOG BYPASS
All analog signals remain in the analog domain without analog-to-digital
conversions. At Analog Bypass, the DSP circuitry is bypassed but full tone
control functions remain. “Bass management” or Speaker settings are also
not in effect as these are DSP functions.

Dirac will always be messing with the sub signal, great for movies and video, not so good for stereo. For stereo I want the signal as unaltered as possible.
Even with the Dirac speaker setting to large the receiver may still be rolling off the bass to the Spatial M3 and sending modified bass to the subs. I don't know.
Can the NAD be set up with Dirac off for stereo and on for movies?

You will probably have to do a deep dive into The Official NAD T 778 thread at AVS Forum
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-official-nad-t-778-thread.3123286/

vondy

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2022, 10:44 pm »
I can turn Dirac off yes. I have grown to prefer it on though, opens up the soundstage quite a bit.

The NAD actually converts all inputs to digital even the analog and phono. Still you can bypass the room correction if needed.

I’m more concerned if I should mess with the PEQ or anything on the sun itself.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2022, 11:47 pm »
Right now, with music, it's seems as though they are doing nothing. I was hoping to get a bit more deep end.

Let's see what those subs can do...

The stereo mix of Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack has strong, deep bass down to 15 Hz. I haven't tried streaming to see if the deep bass survives the streaming process, I have the digital download.

If your room doesn't shake then some adjustment is suggested.

BikeFi10

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2022, 04:57 pm »
Disappointed this topic hit a brick wall. Im trying to setup my Rythmik F12/PEQ sealed sub. I have the 1 page quick guide . The setup link to Rythmik claims to be easy, but kinda lost here. Im not a total novice to audio electronics, but need better guidance.
Aside from a cd player my system is all analog.
Do I need to buy some type of real time analyzer to set room eq? The sub does enhance the overall sound from my Magnepan 1.7i s, but I just randomly made adjustments by ear. I know Im not using the full potential of the subs amp.
Also, the sub doesnt seemed syncronized with the cd player, but fine with turntable. Thanks for any advice.

BikeFi10

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2022, 06:43 pm »
To be more specific, its the PEQ , Delay/Phase, Crossover sections that Im unclear about.
Saw GR Research vid on this. Danny said the knob markings are just reference and not true values. That just made it more confusing, at least for me.
The quickguide indicates PEQ off in all its setup options.
Again, any advise? Thanks.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2022, 09:11 pm »
I believe the crossover dial is relative due to interaction in your room. The dial could say you are crossing at 80 hz based electrically but in room response could be different. I don’t have a measuring system so I would do it by ear until it sounded “correct”.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2022, 11:28 pm »
The PEQ feature is used to fix a single major room mode, if nothing really stands out as an issue to your ears, you can leave that option disabled.

The best way to properly set up the sub is by using REW and a cheap calibrated microphone, like the Dayton iMM6, placed near your listening position.
Then you can use REW to match the subs to your speakers by playing a sweep from 20-800Hz.

Start with one speaker on its own. Then run the sweeps again with the sub only, changing only the volume first to match the output of the one speaker. (Leave sub phase at 0)
Then adjust the crossover point so that it's -6dB point crosses roughly with the -6dB point of the speaker.

Now measure both the sub & speaker together. If they are properly in phase, the transition should be fairly smooth.

If they are both out of phase you will see a dip. How deep/big the hole depends on how far out the phase is. 90° out of phase will follow both previous measurements pretty closely.
180° put of phase will show as a massive hole about -12db below the crossover point.
A shallow dip means you're pretty close with their phase.
If you get a bump in the crossover point, you can adjust the crossover point down on the subwoofers to balance them out.

The lower the crossover point, the easier they will be to integrate, blending the subs with my NX-studios and X-Statiks is pretty easy.
Blending them with the old LGK "Wedgies" at 200Hz took the steps
I shared above to really get them properly integrated.

BikeFi10

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2022, 05:56 pm »
Ok, looks like good info. Nice that software free. I hope it will work on an ipad. No laptop. Also, Im gonna try using the nice quality mic on a Zoom H4n digital recorder. Want to avoid buying a mic for one time use.
If no success, Ill stick with old school human ear reference :)

Seems like all the videos on room eq use an AVR.
I use a low end AVR for my 55" TV & speakers. HT not of interest to me anymore. My 50 lbs, 5.1 AVR sits unused.

Just like to chill with my nice analog 2.1 system.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2022, 06:51 pm »
Using REW for dialing in subs is a bit of work, but not terribly expensive. That is, until you factor in ibuprofen for the stress headaches, Xanax for the panic attacks that you'll never get it figured out, days worth of PTO time used at work to stay home and test "just a few more times", a few trips to a therapist to cure OCD hyperfixation of never calling it good enough.  :lol: In all reality, it's not bad. My biggest piece of advice is keep a notepad on all changes so you can revert back any any point to what measured better. That will be a huge assistance. Also make sure to do some changes and listen for a day or two. Again keep notes of sound impressions and a repeatable testing playlist so you can reference changes directly. Some things will sound better with a nice little boost, but depending on the room/setup could get fuzzy/muddy effecting into the midrange. And don't forget to have fun in the process. That's what this hobby is all about.

-Lloyd

DannyBadorine

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2022, 06:56 pm »
There are lots of people on here who will help you dial it in with software.  REW is amazing!  It's worth the time and really the most effective way of doing it.  It's easier for us to help you because we can see the graphs but can't hear the room.   The graphs will tell us most of what we need to help you.

BikeFi10

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2022, 08:01 pm »
Geez, Loyd you had me giving up b4 I started until I read on.

If it werent for my wife Id still have a flip phone, but as I work with technology and degreed in it Im not oblivious to it. Just like to leave it at work and go old school at home :)

I tell people Ive ruined myself as Ive stepped up my rig and got into the rabbit hole of audiophile world, analog that is with occasional cds.

Hopefully Ill get REW this weekend and get things going.

Thanks for the tips!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2022, 08:10 pm »
Geez, Lloyd you had me giving up b4 I started until I read on.

Haha, I like to kid because I know how easy it is to get sucked into chasing diminishing returns. One sub is pretty easy really. Two subs in your situation a little trickier but no sweat. Two subs with an unruly small room like mine, then bust out that ibuprofen I was joking about.  :roll:  You'll be just fine. The features in that sub should make it very quick and painless to have very good results. Plus there are loads of people on this site for actual tech help and not just sassy comments. Lol. All kidding aside, the notepad and evaluation playlist is the biggest help.

Also on your specific unit, I'd try to connect the subs using the front channel pre-outs as it looks like the two subs operate as summed (momo) operation. Half the perk of stereo subs is stereo imaging. Then it also makes it easier to set up left sub with left speaker, and right with right. Double the measuring, but it isolates some of the room modes to only that one speaker.

BikeFi10

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2022, 10:38 pm »
Maybe I wrote subS, but actually its just one. Its Rythmik DS1200 diy enclosure w the 400w amp 12" servo driver.. Alot more to making a solid rectangular box  than I expected, but turned out great and saved alot of $$, but no budget for a 2nd one.
Im cool with humor. Appreciate your feedback.
I posted pix of the enclosure build in Circles_ enclosures if you care to check it out. I dont want to get too out off the subject here otherwise Id repost pix.
Brian