WTF? "Audio by Van Alstine Amplifier Custom Made Badge Logo.." on ebay???

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers

newzooreview

The e-bay seller page says

As a lover of everything audio related for over 40 years and an owner of way too much equipment I m happy to help you locate that hard to find speaker badge or name plate. A great reproduction is better than no badge at all.

A generous reading is that it's fan art.

More realistically, it's a one-stop shop for counterfeiters.

Wayner

He is actually a guy I know. There is no copyright infringement as he did not use any logo or font used by the brand. So, there is no problem with any of his labels.

Wayner

newzooreview

He is actually a guy I know. There is no copyright infringement as he did not use any logo or font used by the brand. So, there is no problem with any of his labels.

Wayner

That's good to know. I'm glad he has permission in writing from all of those trademark holders to use their logos.

Or are you saying that in his view he tweaked the logos slightly so he can sell them without permission? Perhaps his motives are honorable, but I don't see that holding up for a femtosecond in a court of law. I'm not a lawyer, but lawsuits have been filed, and won, over much more vague similarities.

I don't wish anyone ill. It simply seems like thin ice to be dancing on.

aln

Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2022, 11:07 am »
No big deal

Wayner

That's good to know. I'm glad he has permission in writing from all of those trademark holders to use their logos.

Or are you saying that in his view he tweaked the logos slightly so he can sell them without permission? Perhaps his motives are honorable, but I don't see that holding up for a femtosecond in a court of law. I'm not a lawyer, but lawsuits have been filed, and won, over much more vague similarities.

I don't wish anyone ill. It simply seems like thin ice to be dancing on.

He didn't copy any logo and the words are not copyrighted. It's not like others that steal music dlownloads like a bastard and think nothing of it.

Here I'll just type "Audio by Van Alstine". Did I just violate any copyright law?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Looking through his 13 pages of logo emblems, I'd be stunned if he isn't in copyright violation.  Some of those are quite elaborate symbols, not just names. 

Rusty Jefferson

He's clearly putting himself at risk here, but it's not that big a deal. If anything, he may receive a cease and desist order if one of these companies was bothered. It would be nice if his description said they were a reproduction of the original badges and not original.

gene9p

He's made quite a few for me over the years..mostly for replacements on speaker grilles and for custom made dust covers..great guy. He will design anything for you if you send him a photo too.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
Also bought grill badges from this vendor for defunct speakers at a much lower cost than the hard-to-find originals and was glad to get them.

He's clearly putting himself at risk here, but it's not that big a deal. If anything, he may receive a cease and desist order if one of these companies was bothered. It would be nice if his description said they were a reproduction of the original badges and not original.

I looked at about four badges including those mentioned by the op, they all begin with these words "Custom made replacement speaker badges".

trebejo

So he is a talented, skilled human that provides personal service, where most would tell you "move on". He even has to deal with the occasional accusation of being a criminal, and he plods on anyway, helping people like you and me out of a stupid little jam.

We need people like him. Thank you for introducing him to us!

bkatbamna

Believe me, the Chinese who counterfeit don't need to buy labels from anyone, they do it all in-house. 

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
Didn't mean to stir up such a hornet's nest. Sure sounds like he has only good intentions.

Nick B

Quite a difference of opinions. I think he provides a great service, especially considering that some companies are defunct. I’ll use him for a few custom pieces I have.

newzooreview

Didn't mean to stir up such a hornet's nest.

Translation: "I now regret writing a Subject for my post beginning with "WTF?" and ending with a dramatic "???" "

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
Translation: "I now regret writing a Subject for my post beginning with "WTF?" and ending with a dramatic "???" "

Pretty much. Although the subject line did reflect my sentiments at the time.

Wayner

Like some speaker company would get pissed with his few dollar sales (per badge set) and help spread the word about the manufacturer. Its like free advertising for them. As others have pointed out, many of the companies have changed their logo or do not exist anymore. If some manufacturer gets their undies in a bunch, they can send him a cease and desist order.

I recently bought the larger (1.125") AR badge for my AR-3 speakers. Of course those badges are faded and tarnished. I put his right over the old. Looks great.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
Like some speaker company would get pissed with his few dollar sales (per badge set) and help spread the word about the manufacturer. Its like free advertising for them. As others have pointed out, many of the companies have changed their logo or do not exist anymore. If some manufacturer gets their undies in a bunch, they can send him a cease and desist order.

I recently bought the larger (1.125") AR badge for my AR-3 speakers. Of course those badges are faded and tarnished. I put his right over the old. Looks great.

My first thought was that they were intended not as replacements but for putting on non-AVA equipment.

gene9p

He's a great guy. We worked together on a few designs and materials for some badges I wanted and he now sells them as part of his line. He even sent me some replacements in a different material when the originals didn't come out as planned. I have McIntosh badges, Snell speaker badges, Vinnie Rossi Lio badges and VPI turntable badges, big favs on VPI's site after I posted some photos, all from this seller. I can highly recommend him for any replacements or dressing up of your gear and accessories.

avahifi

To bad this guy was not around in the 1970s and 80s when our business was rebuilding Dynaco and Hafler chassis with our own circuits.

His badges look better then the ones we were using then.  We probably could have done business with him then.

Now, of course, we would frown on efforts to mis-identify old products that are not ours.

Frank